5 6 7 8 9
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/24 1:23 p.m.

It’s arrived: a period-correct, early EF 50mm lens for my EOS 630 and Elan IIE. Came from KEH. Looks new.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/29/24 1:34 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I have a pretty similar setup with my Rebel T2. Familiar ergonomics, automatic film winding, automatic shooting and it only cost me $50. 

Looking at the Canon Camera Museum, your Elan is only a few years older than my T2.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
5/29/24 1:53 p.m.

I have an EOS 650, I believe it was the first Canon EOS film camera. TBH I picked it up becasue it was only $20.

David S. Wallens
5/29/24 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

Nice on the first EOS camera. I’m thinking I’d like to go the other way and find an EOS-1V, the brand’s final professional 35mm camera. 

David S. Wallens
5/30/24 10:25 p.m.

This weekend I’m meeting a friend for Film Day. I’m not bringing everything, though, just the A-1, F-1, K1000, EOS 630, EOS Elan IIE and my XA2.

Might need to pick up a few more rolls.

Chris Tropea
5/31/24 12:05 p.m.

I am going golfing with some friends tomorrow and since I will be terrible at golf I think I will bring out a film camera to have some fun. The big question is do I take the EOS 650 that has auto focus or the Minolta X-370? Both have a 50mm lens on them and Fuji 400 film. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/31/24 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

I say bring them both, but with different lens–like put a wide-angle on one and then a zoom on the other.

For what it's worth, I think I enjoy shooting action shots with a manual-focus camera. Something about the added challenge makes it fun.

Chris Tropea
5/31/24 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Good point about different lenses but I want to just have one camera to not have to carry a ton of stuff. I do think I am leaning towards the manual focus just because I know I'll expect the auto focus on the Cannon to function like my mirrorless Sony and be disappointed when they are all out of focus. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/24 4:27 p.m.

Picked up some film today from Reformed. 

David S. Wallens
6/2/24 6:42 p.m.

And today we had Film Day–met a friend at some nearby gardens for some film photography. I know, I tend to overpack. 

David S. Wallens
6/3/24 9:21 a.m.

Next camera-related question: Do I try to put this into service?

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
6/3/24 9:37 a.m.

Yes! What is wrong with it? The shutter curtains are still good?

Want a free Jupiter 8? I have a spare that I got for free that a seller gave me and I already have two of them lol.

David S. Wallens
6/3/24 6:09 p.m.

Not sure what if anything is wrong with it. I bought it from someone in Ukraine via eBay years ago and just had it sitting on display all these years. The shutter doesn’t sound broken or anything. 

Thanks for the offer. Let me see if I get it going first.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
6/3/24 7:00 p.m.

They're really easy to service as long as you don't have to replace the curtains. It's just a Leica I with a few modifications (the combined viewfinder/long-base rangefinder is actually an improvement), built to Soviet tolerances by political prisoners. Don't lose any parts - you'll never find replacements; even if you buy another one for parts, the chances of the needed part fitting properly are slim.

And take the Jupiter-8 offered above. It's 50/2 Soviet copy of a Zeiss Sonnar, and takes spectacular photos.

David S. Wallens
6/4/24 12:13 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I guess I want the lens, huh?

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
6/4/24 12:38 p.m.

Oh yeah you do ;) 

If the speeds sound right and it has the film leader (some reason everytime I've gotten a Soviet camera, the film leader was missing) try it out. Just remember to not set the speed before cocking the shutter. I think the Fed 2 also requires cutting the film leader like the Leica II/III and its clones?

I attempted to do curtains, got it "working" but failed miserably at being precise on the cutting and getting it lined up. 

https://www.youtube.com/@AlinCiortea

If only this channel was up when I attempted it last year, maybe I could have gotten it right as I kind of see where I made my mistakes,  which were mostly stupid. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/4/24 1:15 p.m.

You guys.  I mean, fixing an engine is one thing.  The parts are a good size.  But fixing old cameras?  Too many small and fiddly parts. 

David S. Wallens
6/5/24 11:17 a.m.

In reply to aw614 :

Okay, sounds like I do. Thanks. 

I’ll send a PM. 

David S. Wallens
6/5/24 11:18 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Same with me but, fortunately, we have a really good, friendly local camera repair shop. Free plug for Kiwi Camera Service of Orlando. 

David S. Wallens
6/5/24 3:29 p.m.

Lunchtime errand:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/5/24 4:04 p.m.

You went there twice in the same day?  laugh

David S. Wallens
6/5/24 4:06 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Ha. Slight website hiccup that we left so we can troubleshoot. (Currently in a meeting regarding this and didn’t think anyone would notice so quickly.)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/5/24 4:13 p.m.

It's okay.  I will tell no one! 

David S. Wallens
6/6/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Only the people at the film lab know for sure....

David S. Wallens
6/7/24 6:50 p.m.

Picked up some of this yesterday, too: Flic Film Aurora 800.

Meeting a friend to make some photos tomorrow. Bringing both film and digital cameras: two of each so everything is comfortable in my backpack. 

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
viFTF9QuldcVVuUZaWcYRyRTpTvllHZglambEplYIeJxmvfaa6NEJUnyEDqMRTbx