1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/30/24 1:31 a.m.

I decided to go ahead and go to Vegas since my fiance will be there for work the week after Memorial Day. 

I think she is going to do the haunted museum on Sunday (she gets there early Sunday and I won't get there until late Sunday) before I get there. I'm thinking about dropping the money to do the exotic driving experience with a couple different cars. We've talked about the crazy gun range where you can fire full auto guns. 

Any other suggestions? I'll be there Sun/Thurs working in the mornings and fun in the evenings. So basically Mon/Wed are the evenings I'll have with the better half after her work is done.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/30/24 6:45 a.m.

When I was there we rented a Corvette from one of the big car rental companies (Hertz or Budget or something) and drove it out to Valley of Fire state park. That was beautiful. There's lots of pretty desert within a short drive of the city. Top down AC blasting in 110 degree heat was fun too. 

Freemont Street is at least worth checking out while you're there. They had a death cage with small motorcycles riding in it when we were there.

One of these things:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/30/24 6:47 a.m.

Vegas are stunning. I would definitely go in a Vega.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/30/24 7:10 a.m.

There are a number of car museums there.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
4/30/24 7:11 a.m.

If the mob museum is still there it's worth checking out.

The StrictlyDumpling YouTube channel has great coverage of restaurants and buffets of you're looking for new/interesting/, crazy cheap or crazy expensive food. 

Machine gun rentals are fun but get pricey quick. 

I'd recommend track experience with super cars over just renting one and driving around.

Helicopter tours could be fun if you're up for it. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
4/30/24 8:32 a.m.

X 2 on Valley of Fire State Park.  There's a lot of amazing scenery in general just outside of Vegas.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
4/30/24 8:46 a.m.

What exotic car rental/experience are you thinking of doing? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/30/24 9:03 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

What exotic car rental/experience are you thinking of doing? 

This is just the first one that popped up, but I'm completely open to suggestions. I haven't been to Vegas in about 12-13 years since my last trip for work where I didn't get a chance to do anything fun. 

https://exoticsracing.com/

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/30/24 9:06 a.m.

Always bet on black. Or maybe it was red. I can't remember. Maybe don't gamble. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/30/24 9:10 a.m.

Fremont is fun for people watching and eating. As long as you don't mind the nearly overwhelming scent of Mary Jane. The museums are indeed cool and worth visiting. The sphere is pretty stunning the first time you see it. 
I browse the Vegas Craigslist frequently. Maybe do a spur-of-the-moment fly and drive? Use some of that free time to fix a hooptie and skip the plane home? Idk. That city is not my scene at all, but if you get in a spot and need something I'm 120 miles up I-15. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
4/30/24 9:35 a.m.

Be careful, Speed Vegas is a E36 M3 show.  Safety is not high on their list.  Skip it.  If you want to drive an exotic car on a racetrack, use Xtreme Xperience.  Doesn't go to Vegas but goes to tracks all around the country, probably one near you.

Great suggestions here already.  There's a pinball hall of fame, Shelby headquarters, and I'm a huge fan of the fountains at Bellagio.  I love Vegas and I don't drink or gamble.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/30/24 9:37 a.m.

The Shelby American Heritage Center is there, right next to the airport. They have a lot of famous racecars on display, including some of the GT 40s that ran at LeMans. The factory where they build their cars is right there too. 

I'm surprised nobody else here mentioned that yet.

https://www.shelby.com/en-us/Shelby-Las-Vegas/Shelby-Heritage-Center-Home

Or you can go out to the desert and rent a dune buggy or ATV. Several places do that.

https://www.sunbuggy.com/lasvegas

https://lasvegasatvs.com/

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/30/24 11:22 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Be careful, Speed Vegas is a E36 M3 show.  Safety is not high on their list.  Skip it.  If you want to drive an exotic car on a racetrack, use Xtreme Xperience.  Doesn't go to Vegas but goes to tracks all around the country, probably one near you.

Great suggestions here already.  There's a pinball hall of fame, Shelby headquarters, and I'm a huge fan of the fountains at Bellagio.  I love Vegas and I don't drink or gamble.

Thank you for the heads up. I'm really big on safety. The last time I even drove a car on track for fun, HANS...fire suit, etc. And that was just an HPDE up at the Iowa track. 

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
4/30/24 11:29 a.m.

I second this.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
4/30/24 11:48 a.m.

Hoover Dam

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/30/24 12:20 p.m.
prodarwin said:

Hoover Dam

Hoover Dam!!! 

You can take the dam tour and learn some dam history. Maybe buy some dam souvenirs. So many dam jokes. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/30/24 12:24 p.m.

If you want a great view of Vegas and maybe a good (a bit pricey of course) drink.  Check out Alle 66 (on the 66th floor) at Resorts World (yes, stupid name).  I was there with someone who lived there, and it was his suggestion.  There is a balcony you can go out on.

Also, if you want a bit of the old Vegas (in a good way), check out Battista's Hole in the Wall.  Very old school Italian restaurant just off the strip.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
4/30/24 12:52 p.m.

I will also say Hoover Dam and GC helicopter tour.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/30/24 9:46 p.m.

If you're looking to get out of the city & explore a bit the Techatticup mine at Nelson, NV is a way to spend half a day. You also get to drive past a dry lakebed where a bunch of movie/tv/commercials have been filmed. If you keep driving past the mine to the end of the road you'll end up on the Colorado River at a cool spot you can get out & explore too. 

Techatticup Mine

grover
grover Dork
4/30/24 10:43 p.m.

Tacos el Gordo. Go to the station on the end. You will not regret it. Best tacos in America. 

momofuco is decent for dumplings and they sometimes have some cool one offs. The ramen is ok.  I sit at the bar so I don't have to wait. 

encore is the best pool by far. 

red rocks is a neat place to hike around- and Fremont is good/depressing people watching. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
5/1/24 12:38 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Thank you for the heads up. I'm really big on safety. The last time I even drove a car on track for fun, HANS...fire suit, etc. And that was just an HPDE up at the Iowa track. 

Yep, this is exactly why I was asking :)   XX puts on a good show.  In the interest of full disclaimer, both SKJSS and I instruct with them.  Very well maintained cars and a great, safe, experience. 

I'll second the hoover dam if you're an engineering appreciative kinda guy.  It's an amazing place to visit.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/1/24 12:44 a.m.

Evel Pie!

Best Evel Knievel themed pizza joint I've ever been to. 

It's on Fremont.

When we were there, one of the supercar rental places had an Aprilia RSV4 for rent. One of my dream bikes.

Wife unit suggested I take it out for a spin. I declined. Every highway leaving the city looked like a straight line and I didn't need to spend my vacation in jail.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/1/24 6:59 a.m.
APEowner said:

I second this.

Can you guys elaborate at all? I've had friends go to Speed Vegas and they came back telling me how great it was. They are not track guys in their normal lives though. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/1/24 10:03 a.m.

My better half doesn't want to do the helicopter thing, which is totally fine. 

I'll get to do the car thing one day, and the other evenings when we are there, I'm happy to let her pick something she wants to do. 

Looks like Extreme Experience won't be there when I'm there, but I'll give an honest review of Exotics Racing. I'm going through 1st world problems and trying to decide the 3 cars I want to drive. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
5/1/24 10:14 a.m.

The National Atomic History Museum is one we always hit when we're in town for SEMA.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
PHYwulRPP8JkJcvPbbD2d9UajePjydCF0BnAZWEJi3xRO8cOM6Jzt8OFHdRGQ1xc