1 2
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
9/23/23 8:21 p.m.

Nice. I've had my 280z for over 20 years and I still haven't started the restoration.  But I have been buying parts for it pretty much the whole time.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
9/23/23 10:16 p.m.

This is good news. I'm looking forward to following this thread.

preach
preach UltraDork
9/24/23 9:00 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Buy.

Please.

Deposit dropped off - picking up in 3 weeks - lots of mouse poop. 

YESSSSS!

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
9/24/23 7:31 p.m.

Good thing there was a tarp on it.

Great purchase BTW.  Work on it when you can.  It will keep you out of trouble.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/25/23 4:59 p.m.

FYI you bought this on my birthday.  That should be some good juju.  

SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy
SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/25/23 5:22 p.m.

One car with a bunch of parts.  Two engines complete - two other blocks that look to be boat anchors, 4-speed trans, 12 wheels, two extra dashboards, four extra seats, five extra fenders.......LOL. 

My wife is excited until I completely fill the garage and it is a mess until I can organize the chaos.

Just anxious as I cannot get it for 18 days yet but who's counting.......

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/25/23 5:26 p.m.

Quickly sell the spares to recoupe some of your purchase price and save your marriage as a result 

birdmayne
birdmayne HalfDork
9/25/23 6:26 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Quickly sell the spares to recoupe some of your purchase price and save your marriage as a result 

Specifically to me.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/23 6:57 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

But those are SPARES. It is a 50 year old car, you can't just find that stuff anymore!

(sarcasm. 90% of "spares" is always "junk I can't bear to scrap".  He says looking at the shelves lined with 7-8 engines' worth of scrap 12A parts)

superfund
superfund Reader
9/25/23 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Not for sale, gonna build a car around em someday. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to superfund :

I used to have a bunch of 12A manifolds, headers, rearend parts, 4x110 wheels.  Sold/gave it all away because I was never going to have another 12A car, never going to have another carbureted car, and was moving away from Mazda drivetrain parts.

Then I got the '81, and I instantly missed all that stuff I let go...

SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy
9/25/23 7:52 p.m.

I parted out a '68 Datsun 2000 I bought for $128.00 about 15 years ago (No title). 

Threw some worn out, nasty rubber Datsun floor matts into the garbage then had 2nd thoughts.  Cleaned them up for eBay and some dude in Australia bought them.  

Lesson; never throw out old parts until you are sure.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/23 9:35 p.m.
birdmayne said:
Indy - Guy said:

Specifically to me.

I am safe.  Triple Weber setups are ridiculously expensive, and nobody makes a twin turbo manifold for these engines anymore.

Yes, I am thinking baby RB26.  The RB is basically a DOHC, timing belt driven L six, like the KA is an L four.  The head (and transmission) bolt up, although like Ford Cleveland heads on an LS block, that is the easy part.

Other things that bolt up are the head from a mid 70s Mercedes, and one person made his own DOHC head for an L28 by splicing two KA24DE heads...

SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy
9/25/23 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I figured I'm heading over to my Nissan dealer and ordering up some parts.  Maybe get one of those fancy heads.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/23 10:11 p.m.
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
9/25/23 10:14 p.m.

You can buy a dohc head from Datsunworks for a whole lot less.

But it's still a crapload of money.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
9/25/23 10:58 p.m.

How did you manage to still buy the same Z one year and nine months later? It managed to not be snatched up by another buyer?  By the pictures it looks pretty decent to revive. 

SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy
9/25/23 11:24 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Guy advertised it on Windy City Z Club that mainly, with all respect is a lot of older folks that already have nice Z's.  Not the best place to buy a Z needing work.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/23 1:12 a.m.

Man, I'm stoked for you.  Zs like that don't exactly fall from trees anymore.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
9/26/23 5:32 a.m.

FWIW, I'm a notorious cheapskate, and I would've bought that in a heartbeat. Looks like a fun project!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CaacGmavyQudrZyad2DB0boZ2YUC4en3ocYznQIQ5fq2maNzmdWlAejp5n7OFWBj