1 2 3
rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
5/3/11 12:00 p.m.

I swear I am going to change my freakin name. It seems like no one I have ever met can pronounce it properly and many of them will go years without ever getting it right! Does anyone else in here feel my pain and wish they had a simpler or at least more pronouncable name? Its not like mine is even that hard but people just don't seem to get it. My name is Maurice and I go by Maury for short and those that do get it either say" like Povich" or "are you a spacecowboy/joker".

Ok done with my rant sorry...

Woody
Woody SuperDork
5/3/11 12:06 p.m.

Lighten up, Francis.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
5/3/11 12:11 p.m.

Yeah, I feel your pain.

My first name?

Stefan

Not Stephen

Not Steven

not Stefon

Just as it looks, ste-fan.

don't even get me started on my last name.....

Joshua
Joshua Reader
5/3/11 12:12 p.m.

My last name has never been pronounced right. I know what you mean.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
5/3/11 12:16 p.m.

Yeah my last name is the same most people can't pronounce it either. I know it shouldn't bug me but it does.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
5/3/11 12:18 p.m.

There are only 4 letters in my last name, yet no one can ever pronounce it correctly.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/3/11 12:21 p.m.

Our surname is so routinely mispronounced that when Ruben Studdard won "Idol" years ago, Katie--who was in third grade--saw the item in the next morning's newspaper and said, "Hey, it's our school name!"

Margie

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
5/3/11 12:24 p.m.

My name was misspelled on my paycheck for 19 years...

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/3/11 12:33 p.m.

My wife's first name routinely gets letters added to it because people assume we forgot to add them ourselves. Yeah. Because for 28 years now, she's forgotten to add an N to it. it's Taya you dopes (pronounced taY-a not tai-a, and she sure as hell isn't Tanya.)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/3/11 12:35 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Yeah, I feel your pain. My first name? Stefan Not Stephen Not Steven not Stefon Just as it looks, ste-fan. don't even get me started on my last name.....

Sounds like you owe your dad a kick in the nuts.

Flynlow
Flynlow New Reader
5/3/11 12:43 p.m.
mndsm wrote: My wife's first name routinely gets letters added to it because people assume we forgot to add them ourselves. Yeah. Because for 28 years now, she's forgotten to add an N to it.

Same here, people constantly add either an N or an R to my last name. I've only gotten asked "are you sure?" once by a very slow-witted phone operator.

A "Yeah..............pretty sure." woke them up out of their daze :).

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
5/3/11 12:52 p.m.

Try that with a German name that's fairly odd even by German standards, in an English speaking country.

I lost count of the number of calls I make in the UK to Scottish call centers where they considered my last name to be "McGuire"..

There's less than 50% overlap between the letters in my last name and McGuire...

Sometimes I am tempted to change my legal name to John Doe.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
5/3/11 1:07 p.m.

The girl friend suggested I just go by "Reese" like the last hals of my name

Grizz
Grizz New Reader
5/3/11 1:09 p.m.

Try being called Colon by everyone the first time the pronounce your name.

You'd think Colin would be a fairly obvious name to pronounce, but no.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
5/3/11 1:16 p.m.
Grizz wrote: Try being called Colon by everyone the first time the pronounce your name. You'd think Colin would be a fairly obvious name to pronounce, but no.

we have a butthead ex-customer that we used to call Colon. Funny thing is we might have forgotten and called him that to his face.

I wonder why he is an ex-customer???

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/3/11 1:19 p.m.

My last name is Krietenstein.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
5/3/11 1:23 p.m.

My name is pretty straightforward, but I frequently get 'Jess' and 'Herbert.'

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy HalfDork
5/3/11 1:26 p.m.

I'd pronounce it "Crighten-stein" (or close to that, I forgot my phonetic notation) just by looking at it, though. How close did I get?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
5/3/11 1:32 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Yeah, I feel your pain. My first name? Stefan Not Stephen Not Steven not Stefon Just as it looks, ste-fan. don't even get me started on my last name.....

Y'know what Chopper Reid has to say Ste-fan?

HTFU!

I've taken more E36 M3 for my name than anyone here, thank you. Brust. It's like being named Sue, and that's why I'm such a bad motherberkeleyer.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/3/11 1:38 p.m.

People from the metro Detroit area will recognize the name from the street signs that run between Detroit and Troy. My first name is John R, not John, NOT JOHN R., but John R (with no period). My mother decided it would be funny to name me after a street then name my pasty white sister Donita Brown, yes there is a Don't Eat A Brown joke in there as well.

I was raised by incompetents, god I miss them.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Sounds like you owe your dad a kick in the nuts.

Actually, that was my mother's doing. Her family is mostly Swedish and Dad's is mostly Irish....

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
Brett_Murphy wrote: I'd pronounce it "Crighten-stein" (or close to that, I forgot my phonetic notation) just by looking at it, though. How close did I get?

Not bad, but I think you got your "ei" and "ie" sounds mixed up (at least in this case). It's pronounced like Kree-ten-stine.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
5/3/11 1:42 p.m.

Yeah, I hear ya, it takes just a few brain cells and a moment of thought to figure out at least a close to phonetic pronunciation of Thwaite....but more often than not its butchered into a word closely resembling that used to describe a portion of the female anatomy.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/3/11 1:43 p.m.

But people often add letters at their discretion. Creek-in-stine is a common one.

paul
paul Reader
5/3/11 1:44 p.m.

Prince John: Such an unusual name, "Latrine." How did your family come by it?

Latrine: We changed it in the 9th century.

Prince John: You mean you changed it to "Latrine"?

Latrine: Yeah. Used to be "Sh%thouse."

Prince John: It's a good change. That's a good change!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zJGwJRPpQuY3iTEVr7ATjlOs5S595Lz2uefy84wJknHOP7yXN4GnoWlcTbKGvvnE