1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/11 11:34 a.m.

I finally joined the 21st century and got an iPhone. First big question: Do I really need a screen protector for it? And while we're on the subject, do I also need some kind of rubber slipcase for the phone itself?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/18/11 11:36 a.m.

If you are hard on stuff, the baddest mamba-jamba is the otterbox. www.otterbox.com
Search amazon for much better prices (about half.)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/18/11 11:41 a.m.

I have an OtterBox. It's the best investment you can make. It's $50, but it protects your $300 phone. It has a built in screen protector. Also it seems that people are prone to dropping their cell phones, so it will protect against that. It's a soft rubber case around a hard plastic case. It does make the phone larger (not by much), but it's definitely worth it. It also comes with a belt clip, which I don't use.

If the OtterBox is not your choice, I would say yes to a screen protector. It will save it from major and fine scratches.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
10/18/11 11:41 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: If you are hard on stuff, the baddest mamba-jamba is the otterbox. www.otterbox.com Search amazon for much better prices (about half.)

x eleventy billion. otterbox turns fragile phone into nearly indestructible phone.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/18/11 11:46 a.m.

I'm sure the OB's are tough but to me they are just too bulky. I bought a ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD for like $20 and an InCase slider for my iPhone 4 and haven't looked back. Dropped it a few times on concrete and asphalt and no problems and usually just carry it around in a front or back pant pocket.

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
10/18/11 11:50 a.m.

I've got a Balistic case, seems more rugged than the Otterbox. I drop my phone frequently and have never had a problem.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/18/11 11:50 a.m.

Yep.

You need this. It assembles with awesome allen bolts.

http://rotiform.bigcartel.com/product/rotiform-iphone-4-aluminum-bumper-case

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
10/18/11 12:19 p.m.

looks cool but don't get a good signal out in the sticks as it is scared to lose more from the case.. bought the Otter case - think defender from amzon for like 15.00 ,

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/18/11 12:21 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: I'm sure the OB's are tough but to me they are just too bulky. I bought a ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD for like $20 and an InCase slider for my iPhone 4 and haven't looked back. Dropped it a few times on concrete and asphalt and no problems and usually just carry it around in a front or back pant pocket.

This, if we're talking screen protectors, not cases then the ZAGG is the shiznit. More expensive than the others but has a lifetime replacement guarantee which noone else will offer on a screen protector. I abuse my phones pretty badly but I've never had screen damage with one of these.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
10/18/11 4:31 p.m.

I know at least a couple people with uncovered iPhones that seem to be doing OK.

I would go with screen protector though...Just nice to be able to clean the screen completely for $10 if you so choose. Go with the anti-glare/anti-finger print//matte ones (same thing). It does diffuse the image ever so slightly (less sharp, but just barely), but the combo of how well your finger slides over it, the fact you will almost never leave finger prints and the fact that you will actually be able to almost read your screen outdoors is definitely worth it, beyond even trying to protect the screen.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
10/18/11 5:01 p.m.

I assume you got a 4 or 4s.

I don't use a protector on mine as the glass screen in pretty impervious to scratching.

Now with that being said I'm pretty careful to not put my phone in my pocket with my keys or loose change or the like. My wife on the other hand will toss hers into her purse without thinking about it and let it mingle with all the crap women keep in their purses - and hers has also held up pretty good with no scratches either (we've both had them over a year). I guess it all depends on if you have a track record of being hard on phones.

I do use a rubber slipcase for mine because I got mine free when Apple was giving them away. Even if I didn't get one free I would've still bought one in order to protect the switch/buttons and keep the dust/dirt out of them.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
10/18/11 7:26 p.m.

Get the otter box and be done with it . I've had mine 2yrs and have dropped my phone from as high a 8ft off a ladder and never broken a thing. As a side note it also keeps it fairly protected from rain.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/18/11 7:34 p.m.

Screen protector + thin case is my preferred setup. And zagg is truly awesome stuff. If you don't go with a case, at least do a full clear wrap. Zagg makes them, or there's a place at the Altamonte Mall that will do it while you wait for about $30 or $40 bucks. That way if it happens to go in your pocket with keys or change, you avoid scratches and nicks.

jg

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/18/11 7:59 p.m.

Otterbox. I've seen the screen (made of glass) break from a drop of <6 inches onto wood.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/18/11 8:50 p.m.

I've had all versions of the iPhone and never had a scratched screen of any kind.

My phones have been dropped off a 2 story building onto rock, dove 3'+ in a pond, slid across an active freeway and been run over by numerous cars and a loaded bus, etc., etc.

Don't waste your money.

Now as to the case there's no reason to go crazy, just get something you like the look of and something that cushions the corners.

David S. Wallens
10/18/11 8:57 p.m.

Otterbox for the win--it came with its own screen protector. The kid at Best Buy even installed it.

Thanks for the advice.

(And yes, went with the 4S.)

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/18/11 10:00 p.m.

I never scratched an iPhone screen and I've had 2 over 3 years, but I'm always careful to keep it separate from change/money clip/keys. I HATE screen protectors with a passion. I just got a 4S and purchased a carbon fiber vinyl skin for it, gives it a bit of texture and looks faster Anything more feels too fat and inhibits easy pocketing of the phone.

David S. Wallens
10/18/11 10:04 p.m.

So far, I'm happy. The case adds a bit of bulk, but now the phone doesn't also feel so delicate.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
10/18/11 10:17 p.m.
oldtin wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: If you are hard on stuff, the baddest mamba-jamba is the otterbox. www.otterbox.com Search amazon for much better prices (about half.)
x eleventy billion. otterbox turns fragile phone into nearly indestructible phone.

I must be really hard on E36 M3, b/c I have broken two otterboxes on my droid...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/18/11 10:27 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
oldtin wrote:
I must be really hard on E36 M3, b/c I have broken two otterboxes on my droid...

You must be, I've had mine for a year and I can't begin to tell you how many times I've dropped it at various heights. My case is also just starting to show wear and I have a red one.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/18/11 10:28 p.m.

Did the droid break or just the otterbox?
Did the otterbox sacrifice itself to save the phone?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
10/19/11 6:49 a.m.

The Otterbox was demonstrated to my wife by the guy at the phone store throwing his phone accross the store at the wall, I don't mean a light chuck, I mean like 15" followed by a bounce back. We She bought it and it's protected her phone for 2 years. The dock cover has torn off so it's no longer waterproof, but it still protects great.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
10/19/11 9:33 a.m.

there is something that has knocked off the otterbox. the lifeproof case is waterproof to 2 meters, and isn't as bulky as the otterbox. lifeproof.com, pricey but probably worth it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/19/11 10:34 a.m.

I just bought the 3 pack screen protector from the AT&T store when I got mine. Looking at the beating the screen protector has taken, I wouldn't go with out one.

I don't care for the Otterbox. I know it is good, but it doesn't fit my needs, like sliding nicely in and out of my pocket, not being insanely large, ect. I run a Speck case and it absorbs drops well enough.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/19/11 10:36 a.m.

I had a screen protector on my 3G. I also had a full wrap on the back, too, but then I realized I didn't really care that the back got scratched (who was I saving it for?) and got annoyed with the edges peeling and took it off. I avoided a full case because they were all too bulky for me.

The screen protector worked fine, but I still managed to break the glass and the back dropping it. The screen broke when dropping it on a tile floor from about 3'.

I didn't get a screen protector for my 4 because I didn't like what it did to viewing the screen on the 3. I got a hard plastic case from Body Glove that doesn't cover the screen, but covers the edges. I've dropped the phone onto a hard surface, cracking the Body Glove case, but the phone is fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1PceopnNKSOLpmpLYDU5HGr3DIHFgLNafIrDB9DNUfjcMxhrkVKFK912GmocHYZX