Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/5/19 7:44 p.m.

Or anyone that can give me a real world version of what my MRI results are?

The follow up with the doc today basically lasted just long enough for him to tell me he's kicking me to the surgeon. Which I have to wait until the 26th to meet with. 

I've looked up some of the terms I didn't understand but I have no concept of what it means as far as what I might be looking at as far as treatment or if I'll ever be able to ride my bicycle pain free again.

TIA.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/5/19 7:59 p.m.

This is not brain.  Refer to orthopedics.  Done.

You have some cartilage problems. Looks like the worst of it is from an old injury and about 1cm^2.  What they can do for it or the other cartilage problems, I dunno.  Have to ask the experts, thus the referral. Also some ganglion cysts.  Those are a biatch.  You remove them and they come back. And where they are, the traditional method of hitting them as hard as you can with a big book is going to be pretty hard to do. 

Will you ever be able to bicycle pain free again?  Well, don't get your hopes up.  As I have said many times, no surgeon can put you back together as good as God did.  The best a surgeon can do is to have you not as berkeleyed up as before he operated.  That's a "success."

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/5/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

That cyst looked impressively nasty on the MRI. Doc said it was nothing to worry about. 

I hate waiting.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/5/19 8:22 p.m.

Yeah, if the cysts are not pressing on anything or otherwise in the way, no big deal and leave them alone.

Grade 4 of anything is bad.  "3/4" means it is hard to tell if it is "really bad" (4) or just "bad" (3.)  That's the 1cm^2 area.  Like I said, refer to ortho.

You're not ready for it yet, but if things keep getting worse, 10, 20 years from now a new knee will probably get you pain free.  Mom calls her new knee her "good knee." 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/5/19 8:41 p.m.

My new hip is my good hip, the shoulder had too many new plates to compensate for bone loss to really work as well as one would hope. But replacement joints that don't entail bone loss are really amazing. Heck ones that entail compensation for 80% loss of a scapula are amazing that they remotely close to work. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUBUt9uDKrcgcJ5iwxeeR9zua25GKodrbgjDymKr7OjCpcIGExxMBc7ZnDuyRHiM