5 6 7 8
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/30/21 9:07 p.m.

Getting closer.

This may just be the final rattle can job I do. First time I struggled with the paint. Went on reallllll thin in spots and pooled elsewhere. I think the temp in my room was too low for good flow out of the can. That or yellow just sucks to apply. Redoing the passenger seat right now. Little Molotow pen problem. Oh yeah, and I forgot to paint the mirrors. They're drying now. Done until tomorrow.

And I picked this up for February.

Claff
Claff Reader
1/30/21 11:21 p.m.

If I was starting with an empty model pile staring down the NASCAR build, I'd absolutely be building one of those '70s cars. But I checked my stash, and there are three (!) unbuilt '95-'99 Monte Carlos, two slab-sided later cars and one older one. Plus a barely-started early Craftsman Truck.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/31/21 6:13 a.m.

Looking a bit like a test livery right now.

This decal is supposed to wrap around two of the most spherical bits of the car somehow. Hahahahahaha.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/31/21 8:00 a.m.

Y'all have until midnite. I'll post the list with photos up tomorrow for voting.

Who is hosting the next one? Go ahead and start a thread for the Azzphalt Roundy-Round Challenge or whatever cleverer name you can come up with.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/21 9:27 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I'll post it as soon as I get home 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/31/21 4:48 p.m.

Ordered a kit for next month. Won't be here until Saturday; bummer.

Not a NASCAR. Is a race car. Is an asphalt race car. Is not a sports car or an endurance racer. Not a drag car. Still fits into my Ford-only restrictive policy (that keeps me from buying 2337 model kits). It even comes from my least favorite kit maker. cheeky

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/31/21 5:21 p.m.

Ha, I thought the rear bumper was the hardest part. Oh past me, you sweet summer child.

Probably the trickiest decal application I've ever attempted. I'm settling for moderately sized wrinkles that only show up in direct light. And yes, that's with Tamiya decal stuff to try and make it conform.

Press on regardless, that's a rallying term right? I guess I'm applying it to the Mini here. I got some semblance of paint coverage on the roof, although it leaked through the masking tape and kind of caked on too thick at some spots along the edge. I scraped some of it off with a screwdriver and will try to touch it up with a brush later. I painted the black trim by hand, because berkeley masking all those curves.

It won't look nearly as good as the Fiesta and it won't be done in time. Maybe I'll splatter dirt and grime on it to hide the sins a bit.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/21 5:50 p.m.

It was too ambitious a project for one month, and the paint is pretty bad in person. 

1/31/21 6:41 p.m.

You know those cheap diecast cars you find at the grocery store. Yeah, this is about that bad.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
1/31/21 7:18 p.m.

Hmmm. I see my "alternative reality" is a bit different from yours.  I worked on something a little bit different.  I started this 6 or 8 months ago and work on it when this sort of creativity hits.  It is not finished, but I will post a picture anyway.  

I need to do something with the feet and shoot some more paint at it.

And yes, this was inspired by AT STs from Star Wars.  And I should have dusted it a bit.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/31/21 10:34 p.m.

Lancia 037 status as of 11:20 PM EST. No more work tonight I need to go out and shovel....These are the best decals I have ever worked with, although they have not fully snuggled down yet. And the art work is a little large on the stripes, which is a problem because they are supposed to come to a point in front. If you line up the front the wheel opening is 3/32" rear of the proper location. If they were straight stripes you could just cut them off....When I finish they will have to be OK without a point. This kit is also why I tend to build street cars, fantasy cars or vintage racers. Too many decals!  There are decals on top of decals. see rear view...There are a number of detail parts that need to go on before the remainder of the event decals. All the sponsor stuff is on. I wonder how many people bought Totip tickets on account of this car??

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/31/21 10:59 p.m.

Done. Barely. Minus one doohickey on the roof that went missing. Will post better pictures soon.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/31/21 11:42 p.m.

Alright, I confess...I cheated a bit and touched up a few spots after midnight. The big decal on the right side ripped a little bit going over the door handle, so I dabbed paint over it. And added one or two final little decals. Seriously that's the most decals I've ever placed in one day, by a lot. Like TurnerX19's Lancia, one or two of them were a bit too large and I had to do the best I could on the placement. And the already wonky suspension is seriously feeling fragile after handling the model by the wheels a bit too much. But where else to grab it, without messing up a decal?

Then I realized the front fenders should have a little white stripe on them that the decals didn't do, so I painted that on (badly)

I have some other qualms with this kit. The instructions are lacking in some areas, namely how to paint the parts of the livery that the decals don't handle. The body doesn't really want to go down over the cage too well, so there's a visible gap between the front splitter and bodywork. Actually you can see it in the wheel wells too. And some of the tiniest parts were molded in such a way as to be nearly impossible to remove from the sprue without breaking.

Overall, pretty fun though.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/31/21 11:49 p.m.

The Mini got as far as putting the body on. Somehow it almost looks...not horrible? Not good, but not horrible.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/1/21 7:19 a.m.

Final tally. Vote for your favorite! While there were some interesting builds posted aside from the below we're only counting ones built for this thread.

TurnerX19's Jaguar SS100

Javelin's HO slot car Vette:

Claff's 32 Ford:

VWCorvette's Ferrari F40:

TurnerX19's decals hiding a Lancia 037:

Slowbird's Focus WRC supporting the weight of decals:

Teasing about the last two. I built a couple rally car kits decades ago. I used to like decaling kits. They cured me of it.

Honorable mention because it's not finished, the Mr Sparkle truck gets the Most Creative award:

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/21 10:22 a.m.

Oh man, this is tough. I seriously love all of the builds this month, yes even the F40. If I have to pick a favorite it's Claff's 32 Ford, it's just such a clean build. Both my kids adore slowbirds WRC Fiesta.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
2/1/21 11:14 a.m.

The Jag gets my vote this month! 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/1/21 12:18 p.m.

I like the Jag, too!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
2/1/21 12:31 p.m.

After all that, I forgot to attach the tailpipe. There, fixed. And I crammed some superglue between the body and chassis to try and keep it squished down.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
2/1/21 1:57 p.m.

I vote for Claff's Ford. I usually hate gray scale cars, but it looks just right on a stock body Duece coupe. 

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
2/1/21 2:42 p.m.

I like TurnerX19's Jaguar SS100.  I think the Claff's Ford is a great build also except the gray and black is a bit..  Underwhelming.  

Claff
Claff Reader
2/1/21 5:07 p.m.

My vote goes to the Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

I'm very happy to see the Deuce earn some votes. I'll agree its the color combo is lackluster, but every other color choice in my stash is either more blah grays or stuff that is not really period correct. Then my mind starts thinking, what if I did the body in the same coral I did the '53 Ford in? Ah well.

2/1/21 7:22 p.m.

Jag for me.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
2/2/21 2:50 a.m.

Tough to pick, I think everyone did a great job this month, but the Jag is hard to beat.

I do appreciate the different color choices. The F40 looks sweet in yellow, and a 32 Ford in gray has a lot of class to it. And Wally, your truck is super cool, I hope you finish it.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/2/21 6:21 a.m.

The Jag is the winner. I'd have picked the Ford coupe (no bias, really) but my vote wasn't enough to seal the deal.

TurnerX19 check your email. smiley

5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VR6Zc47MJAnoUASRBF1XQNJpUoHQ5L7UycxTH4bzS2vi5YlImtUFuIqn722vROtP