914Driver
914Driver Dork
5/29/09 6:03 a.m.

From the new issue of Readers' Digest....

Readers' Digest said: A British television show host thinks all the angst about cyberthieves is just rumormongering. To prove it, Jeremy Clarkson posted his bank account details in a newspaper. After learning that cyberthieves had gone through his bank account, Clarkson admitted he had been misinformed.
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/29/09 7:12 a.m.

that happened about January-ish...I think they found the guys and got the money back though....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
5/29/09 9:18 a.m.

He's funny and witty but not exceptionally intelligent...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/29/09 12:16 p.m.

I thought that he was acctually quite brilliant, he just plays the fool. After this one...

EricM
EricM HalfDork
5/29/09 2:41 p.m.

lol

Do NOT post your banking information publicly!!!

Odly, it is those that you wouldn't expect to fall victim of scams that do.

I am a data security analyst for the University of Illininois. and though I can not say exactly who, a senior tenuriourd faculty member lost all of his savings and Most of his 401K (403(b)) to a nigerian scam about transfering money out of the country. When we interviewed him he was still delussinal about being the only person who could help these people......

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/29/09 8:23 p.m.

Reader's Digest put a nice spin on the sort too, I see...

The "cyber thieves" (I suspect Hammond) took $500 out of his account and donated it to some charity Clarkson loathed.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/29/09 9:45 p.m.

Did you ever see those ads on tv about the $1 Million guarantee for identity theft insurance? The guy says, "I'm so confident I put my actual Social Security number on the side of this bus." About a month later, someone ripped off his identity and stole a bunch of his money. Go figure.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler New Reader
5/29/09 10:14 p.m.
Carson wrote: Did you ever see those ads on tv about the $1 Million guarantee for identity theft insurance? The guy says, "I'm so confident I put my actual Social Security number on the side of this bus." About a month later, someone ripped off his identity and stole a bunch of his money. Go figure.

Yep, it was Lifelock.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/29/09 10:18 p.m.
Carson wrote: Did you ever see those ads on tv about the $1 Million guarantee for identity theft insurance? The guy says, "I'm so confident I put my actual Social Security number on the side of this bus." About a month later, someone ripped off his identity and stole a bunch of his money. Go figure.

While the company is E36 M3ty, that's not (totally) true. Apparently there's a few people out there using his SSN, but nobody stole a bunch of his money.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/29/09 10:29 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
While the company is E36 M3ty, that's not (totally) true. Apparently there's a few people out there using his SSN, but nobody stole a bunch of his money.

Well, even if my memory wasn't perfect, it wasn't a particularly brilliant plan by the CEO.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/29/09 11:37 p.m.
Carson wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Well, even if my memory wasn't perfect, it wasn't a particularly brilliant plan by the CEO.

I'll drink to that!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/30/09 10:02 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Reader's Digest put a nice spin on the sort too, I see... The "cyber thieves" (I suspect Hammond) took $500 out of his account and donated it to some charity Clarkson loathed.

I hope that was the case. Or maybe James was behind it

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/31/09 8:55 a.m.

someone tried the same thing on the stig, and he drove a ducati at WOT directly thru the guys torso...Stig then posted it on you tube and the guys family gave the money back and moved to nigeria

BadBen
BadBen New Reader
5/31/09 10:51 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: someone tried the same thing on the stig, and he drove a ducati at WOT directly thru the guys torso...Stig then posted it on you tube and the guys family gave the money back and moved to nigeria

That's what some say...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJGKLQcziqPZivjlFObr97C532Rieh7cZi44L5lc3opRQWUNm6m6nCKVcnSqIKFa