1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/2/23 6:55 p.m.

Sunset Cafe in town has a nice house margarita, huge and there's something brownish in there; like a L I Iced Tea, it goes down too easy.

Fair the well Jimmy, I'll be hurting Sunday in your honor.  If only the Sunset had conch .....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/2/23 8:36 p.m.

Is it possible to absolutely hate an artist's work, but love the artist?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
9/2/23 9:25 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Is it possible to absolutely hate an artist's work, but love the artist?

I think it is and that's ok. I feel the same about the Foo Fighters. Never really liked their music but I think Dave Grohl is a national treasure. 

I had "Songs You Know By Heart" on repeat in the car today. Buffet's ballads have to be some of my favorites. "Come Monday" is near the top of my best songs of all time. 
-Rob

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/2/23 9:31 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
JThw8 said:

Undiagnosed illness has now been confirmed as skin cancer.   Wear your sun screen kiddos.   I had already been planning a trip to Key West next week, guess I'll be joined by many others.

I just read that he was diagnosed with skin cancer 4 years ago, but he died of lymphoma.  

The report I read was skin cancer which then caused/transitioned to/medical term Im missing into lymphoma

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/2/23 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes, but seems a little off in this case. But we all are different, so hate his work if you must. I freely admit he wasn't a stellar musician, but he wrote some entertaining lyrics. Lots of humor and real life stuff in his songs. Got me into a bunch of similarly humorous artists like the Bellamy Brothers and a whole bunch of other trop rock artists (Jim Morris, Brent Burns, Jack Mosley, Sunny Jim White...etc). 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/2/23 11:45 p.m.

Just remembered this.  A nice, light read, as I recall.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
9/2/23 11:54 p.m.

There aren't a whole lot of people who actually created a lifestyle, and probably no one else who did on such a large scale. The only other guy that I can think of who even came close was Hef in the 60s and 70s. 

I enjoyed Jimmy Buffet's music, his concerts, and his ever present smile. He was someone special. 

wae
wae PowerDork
9/3/23 12:01 a.m.

You'll never convince me that his biggest marketing miss is that he never opened up an all-you-can eat place called "Jimmy's Buffet".

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/3/23 12:03 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I mean he turned the appearance of a slacker lifestyle into a billion dollar enterprise. I'm working on turning an actual slacker lifestyle into a $1 enterprise... laugh

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
9/3/23 12:06 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes, but seems a little off in this case. But we all are different, so hate his work if you must. I freely admit he wasn't a stellar musician, but he wrote some entertaining lyrics. Lots of humor and real life stuff in his songs. Got me into a bunch of similarly humorous artists like the Bellamy Brothers and a whole bunch of other trop rock artists (Jim Morris, Brent Burns, Jack Mosley, Sunny Jim White...etc). 

Even he freely admitted he was, at best, a passable musician and vocalist.

I saw him about 6 times over the years starting back in the late 80's. Once in Columbus, some outdoor place north of Chicago, and a bunch of times in Florida. What I loved about the shows was the age diversity of the crowd. The man created a mythical place and anybody that ever had alcohol could place themselves there.

I got to get onboard the Hemisphere Dancer at Sun-n-Fun and talked to one of his pilots when I was at the same FBO about a year later. Love that plane. Jimmy wasn't with them at the time, they were just moving the plane across the state.

Sept is a bad month to lose story tellers. Buffett on the 1st, Tolkien on the 2nd(50 years apart though)

preach
preach UltraDork
9/3/23 8:02 a.m.

I am sad to see him pass as he was quite iconic but I never got into his music. When I lived in the Caribbean the "expats" on the island did not like the guy at all, I think it was because they had disdain for the Keys but I don't really know. They would definitely E36 M3 on the guy unfairly IMO.

RIP. Find that salt shaker and get a cheesburger brother.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
9/3/23 1:46 p.m.

Time to go visit this thread?

Else it will be your own fault

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes, that's Taylor Swift for me (and no it's not solely visually based) I respect her drive, chasing of perfection and what she personally stands for, but her musical works don't move the needle for me. 

preach
preach UltraDork
9/3/23 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

She makes me light headed due to loss of blood (visually based).

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/3/23 7:28 p.m.
JThw8 said:
spitfirebill said:
JThw8 said:

Undiagnosed illness has now been confirmed as skin cancer.   Wear your sun screen kiddos.   I had already been planning a trip to Key West next week, guess I'll be joined by many others.

I just read that he was diagnosed with skin cancer 4 years ago, but he died of lymphoma.  

The report I read was skin cancer which then caused/transitioned to/medical term Im missing into lymphoma

That is what I has read.  Now I read it's been released that he died from Merkle cell skin cancer. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XynlBhg9jikgWmEN0Y9mzJTucj9hjRpaCyLiwMS1iUIXqWEs75rJ47AGmGzmblsW