CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/16/11 6:37 p.m.

So i asked a week ago if anyone is the Chicago area/ Indiana area could go check out a car for me before i drive 300 plus miles to buy it. I figured it was worth a shot but honestly was not expecting much interest or help. Not that people here are not nice but just that i know people are busy and dont have time too look at a plain jane wagon.

Boy was i wrong.

Exactly 4 minutes after i posted Rob, SyntheticBlinkerFluid, answered and offered to go look at it for me no problem. 4 minutes !!

Later in the week he looked the car over for me, took more pictures for me and then when i called him gave me a run down of the car over the phone.

At this point i was floored. What a guy.

Later that night i was figuring out how to get to Indiana and back with the new car. Well, Rob was helpful in pointing out that the Greyhound Station was in the same city as the car i wanted. Also helped out with some logistics/ details. Very helpful and just nice. Never asked for money or payment or anything. just helpful.

Well i took the bus out to Hammond Indiana and bought the car. I called up Rob to meet up with him and thank him and the guy already had a restaurant picked out on the nice side of town (not the ghetto part) and he was already there.

We had some amazing Chicago style pizza, talked and hung out for awhile. Then we went out separate ways.

Just wanted to publicly thank Rob SyntheticBlinkerFluid for all his help, a good time and restoring my faith that there still are good people out there.

Had a great trip, and a great time with a great guy.

Thanks again for all your help Rob. Much appreciated.

I guess its stuff like this that really make me like the GRM forum and its people. Just a great bunch of gearheads in one place.

Great magazine, great forum and great people.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
10/16/11 9:53 p.m.

Nope, we're all jerks 'cept fer Rob. He's the one that brings up the curve.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/16/11 10:48 p.m.

I've notice too, that GRM is an oasis for those who're seeking refuge from the animosity and harshness of the outside car world. Like a homeless shelter for those who just love cars- nothing more, nothing less.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/17/11 12:48 a.m.

Thanks Kevin, it was no problem.

I had a great time hanging out and shooting the breeze. It was actually the first time in a long time that I actually had toppings on a deep dish.

I hope everything worked out good with the car. You got an awesome deal.

We'll definitely have to meet back up sometime.

I don't have a problem checking on cars for folks here in the south subs of Chicago and NW Indiana as long as it's within reason.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
10/17/11 6:49 a.m.

So you posted this thread with no pics of said car?

For Shame.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/17/11 6:59 a.m.
failboat wrote: So you posted this thread with no pics of said car? For Shame.

hahah you'll get a build thread....even better imho. However the squeaky wheels gets the grease.....

1999 Saturn SW2---5 speed

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/17/11 8:03 a.m.

^^easily the most artistic pic ever shot of a saturn wagon...I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. You, sir, have my admiration

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/17/11 8:19 a.m.

I love this thread...and we're just on the first page. I can't wait to see what the Saturn looks like when it's done.

I believe we have the best site users on the whole internet. Y'all are awesome.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
10/17/11 8:19 a.m.

what the heck lens did you use to take that shot

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/17/11 8:32 a.m.

Thanks for the kind words. Tryin to get into some more photography on the side.

Taiden wrote: what the heck lens did you use to take that shot

I cheated. Its not so much the work of a lense or some fancy operater trick. Its an effect on the Canon Powershot (ill check model when i get home) The effect is called "miniture." It keeps a center strip normal and blurs the rest to give a miniture effect. I like that powershot a LOT!

Ill start a new thread soon for the actul car

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/17/11 8:42 a.m.

Tilt-Shift

There are apps for that!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/17/11 9:23 a.m.

Five speed wagon? I hate your guts.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/17/11 9:28 a.m.

Have you got to look the car over yet? Anything major?

nocones
nocones HalfDork
10/17/11 9:34 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: Tilt-Shift There are apps for that!

Sad panda is Sad because Tilt shift is Played out.
I love the look and love watching festivals and stuff video'd in tilt-shift but then Toyota and Kia (IIRC) made comercials in Tilt shift and I was sad.

Car looks great! Looked for one before I got the Vibe 5-speed and just couldn't find one not beat to hell.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/17/11 10:03 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Have you got to look the car over yet? Anything major?

no chance to look it over. spent all of saturday installing a winch and off road front bumpero on my cousins FJ Cruiser. And Sunday was a day of rest. And did some GM Training/ ASEP testing.

this week ill slowly get into it.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
10/17/11 12:36 p.m.

Indeed, everyone from this site I've dealt with in person (and a few I haven't) have all been awesome individuals.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
10/17/11 12:54 p.m.

Okay, either there's a joke I'm not in on or there's no pic or live link that I can see......

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
10/17/11 2:00 p.m.

I had a dream once about running a boosted Eco-Tec powered Saturn Wagon at Bonneville. An actual dream, like when asleep and everything. Still can't get the idea out of my head.

This:

Plus This:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/17/11 3:53 p.m.

Nice to see everyone playing so nicely. Thanks.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/17/11 4:10 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I had a dream once about running a boosted Eco-Tec powered Saturn Wagon at Bonneville. An actual dream, like when asleep and everything. Still can't get the idea out of my head. This: Plus This:

Can I play too? I like this idea, and shall cherish it.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
10/17/11 5:41 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Thanks for the kind words. Tryin to get into some more photography on the side.
Taiden wrote: what the heck lens did you use to take that shot
I cheated. Its not so much the work of a lense or some fancy operater trick. Its an effect on the Canon Powershot (ill check model when i get home) The effect is called "miniture." It keeps a center strip normal and blurs the rest to give a miniture effect. I like that powershot a LOT! Ill start a new thread soon for the actul car

I was so confused because your depth of focus had nothing to do with depth. Computer magic makes it all make sense!

BARNCA
BARNCA HalfDork
10/17/11 6:02 p.m.

if may throw an atta boy to per.. i emailed him challenge weekend and asked about aquiring a sticker from the challenge.. and last thrus not only did recieve the sticker i asked about.. he added two more and a bunch of other goodies.. so GRM rocks and is the only mag that enters my mailbox.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
10/17/11 9:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Nice to see everyone playing so nicely. Thanks.

Well, this thread is actually about a car. We abandon our religiopolitical stuff when something more important (like a great deal on a car) comes up.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/17/11 10:42 p.m.

Car is garage. Got finals this week, two tests and i start working at a Chevy dealership for schools GM ASEP program. Looks like ill be doing some light cleaning and poking around. Already fixed cig. lighter wiring and vacuumed it all very well.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
10/18/11 6:11 a.m.

I'll toss in a bit of praise for Tim S.:

Friday after I was done taking pictures at the challenge, Dad and I were heading back home. While on the trip, I talked about how that guy with the subie-powered 914 had such a bad string of luck. Not only had he spun a bearing, he also had the fender mount on his trailer break. His plan was to hold the fender out of the way - so it didn't rub the tire - with a ratchet strap during the entire drive back to Texas.

As I described the situation to Dad, he said, "I'm sure there are plenty of guys there with welders on-site who could fix that for him." I sent an email to Tim to see if anybody could help the guy, and Tim replied within eight minutes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHIXyqxRaslBL6v707CnxbjtyxJA8TT14RmOqyI02HVSAkk4du9vYNaM4ueLOBNe