1 2
Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
5/14/13 4:57 p.m.

As the title should say brass and or bronze, I am trying to figure out how to clean an old bell at my local church. We do not want to use a grinder to clean it either. I am assuming this bell is about as old as the church its self (200 years) the reason. We are redoing the base that the bell sits on and thought it would be nice to be able to have the bell clean for when celebrate 200 year of our church being there.

thank you, Dave

alex
alex UberDork
5/14/13 5:02 p.m.

To clean old bras, use the delicate cycle with a gentle detergent like Woolite, or hand wash. Air dry for best results.

Can't help you with the bell.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
5/14/13 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Volksrodden:

Just throw the old bras in a washer. As for even having bronze balls(sp), my hat's off to you, sir.

edit; too slow!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/14/13 5:04 p.m.

Now I'm confused, Bras And Brass Balls? I thought it was either or.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/14/13 5:10 p.m.

I could fix the title, but I'm not. It amuses me too much.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/14/13 5:14 p.m.

You are seeking help on cleaning old bras from a bunch of car guys? Just how dirty are the women you date anyway?
I dont concern myself with cleaning them, just getting them on the floor.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/14/13 5:22 p.m.

You can have the bell dunked / electrolysis /sonic cleaner and then polished pretty cheap. But honestly unless it is pitted really bad a quick polish with some brass cut will work wonders.

I don't have a clue how to deal with the bras.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
5/14/13 5:35 p.m.

Gentle cycle - cool water - air dry, alternatively, hot tub?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/14/13 5:50 p.m.

Wife deals with the bras, I stay away from that laundry.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
5/14/13 5:53 p.m.

You poor bastard. You are gonna get exactly no useful information, all for the want of a second "S".

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
5/14/13 5:57 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: You poor bastard. You are gonna get exactly no useful information, all for the want of a second "S".

I didn't know about Woolite and gentle cycle....

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
5/14/13 6:14 p.m.

Shouldn't the patina remain ? On the bell.

Hal
Hal Dork
5/14/13 6:52 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Shouldn't the patina remain ? On the bell.

^^^This!! Cleaning the bell erases the evidence that it is 200 years old. Plus the fact that the patina is protecting the bell from further deteriation.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo PowerDork
5/14/13 7:10 p.m.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the bras. So much less lifting involved.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/14/13 7:50 p.m.
Hal wrote:
^^^This!! Cleaning the bell erases the evidence that it is 200 years old. Plus the fact that the patina is protecting the bell from further deteriation.

that has a good ring to it. I wouldn't touch it either

motomoron
motomoron Dork
5/14/13 8:59 p.m.

Any potential for humor has been mined from this thread.

As for the bell, I see 2 approaches.

• You've got 200 years of irreplaceable patina. Make the base really perfect and beautiful so it emphasizes the age, resilience, permanence and solidity of the old bell. Leave it be.

• You get voted down and have to clean it. Submerge it in a solution of water and muriatic acid. This is used for cleaning crusty bronze marine hardware and castings. It'll remove all the green stuff. Follow up with stainless steel brushes and Scotchbrite pads. It's possible, albeit tedious to buff the entire thing after that using cloth+felt wheels and buffing compounds to restore it to a mirror polish - but it'll tarnish and turn brown then green eventually.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
5/14/13 9:10 p.m.

We cleaned and polished a lot of brass in one of my old jobs, and orange or tomato juice worked as well as or better than almost anything for cleaning. Try it yourself next time you get a taco, hot sauce on a penny and it'll look new minted before you finish your snack.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
5/14/13 10:02 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: If I had to choose, I'd go with the bras. So much less lifting involved.

I thought that's what bras did

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/14/13 10:04 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Hal wrote:
that has a good ring to it. I wouldn't touch it either

What you did there, I see it.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
5/15/13 4:52 a.m.

http://americanbell.org/forum/index.php?c=9 In particular, the big bells forum. It's where people who are really into church bells hang out and discuss the care and feeding of them.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/15/13 6:03 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Now I'm confused, Bras And Brass Balls? I thought it was either or.

Then it's called the Bro

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
5/15/13 7:18 a.m.
Wally wrote:
carguy123 wrote: Now I'm confused, Bras And Brass Balls? I thought it was either or.
Then it's called the Bro

Manzier!

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
5/15/13 7:34 a.m.

Thanks for all the help (and smart ass answers, no offence taken). I be starting this project tomorrow, and will let you guys know how it turns out later. As for the bras, the girlfriend takes care of them,...and most of the other laundry :)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/15/13 7:36 a.m.

HUGE let down....

slefain
slefain UltraDork
5/15/13 9:47 a.m.

Why am I reminded of the opening scene from Cool Hand Luke?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
niWQLHmBNZ3ckWPzkozxvXJg4L3ZBgghj5YVitRxtwRKtbLez6hKhm7Hfp3NjCoW