Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/13/16 7:09 p.m.

For a baby present, I want to give my best friend a dishwasher. (Long story ).

He rents his house, and is allowed no modification. I'm thinking that into hot water and drain for the washing machine, and build a rolling cabinet, thereby making a "temporary " and "portable " dishwasher.

Can I do this? Is it a bad idea?

rusty
rusty New Reader
2/13/16 7:12 p.m.

They make portable dishwashers just for this kind of situation. They are in a cabinet with wheels. They plug into a wall outlet, and have an adapter that connects to the kitchen faucet.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/13/16 7:18 p.m.

They make full size portable dishwashers (normal disahwasher in a box) with a counter on top. You probably won't be able to build one for less money, they have next to no resale value. I think I bought mine (some big brand name model) for $50 in nearly new condition.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/13/16 7:24 p.m.

Did not know this was already a thing.

So I guess I just need to know what to get. I'm guessing Kenmore or whirlpool?

From sears or lowes?

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
2/13/16 8:56 p.m.

My in laws bought there's at Sears. I don't think it was much more than a standard washer and you don't have to spend time building it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/13/16 9:21 p.m.

The problem with the portable dishwashers is where do you put them, since they aren't built into the kitchen cabinets. You have to roll it into a corner someplace when not in use, and when it is used it's parked right in front of the sink.

That's not necessarily a problem, but if your friend has a small kitchen it may get in the way.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/13/16 9:40 p.m.

we had one of those portable/temorary dishwashers when i was a kid. it fit perfectly next to the stove and had a cutting board on top... i think it only ever actually got used as a dishwashing machine a half a dozen times in the decade or so that it was there, but we did use the top quite a bit and it was good for storing the cookie sheets and what not..

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
2/14/16 6:41 a.m.

Craigslist usually has some for sale. People upgrade to a real house and have no use for a portable anymore.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/14/16 7:11 a.m.

I had the same thing in my first house in 1995 due to space limitations.
This one claims to be $530 at Home Depot.
Portable Dishwasher.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/14/16 7:40 a.m.

I had one once when we lived in base housing with no disheasher. Worked like a champ, but gotta have a spot to park it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/14/16 10:27 a.m.

Parents have used a portable dishwasher for about 40 years. I think it still works. Pretty sure it's a Kenmore.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
2/14/16 11:01 a.m.

When our twins were born and we still lived in an apartment, we got a countertop dishwasher. Something like this

Wasn't huge. Didn't have a ton of capacity. But for bottles and for a couple of place settings, it worked great.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
40T72fUKdVFOZaCnxVp97H5vecRUCUW9Kabp3uo5FVTYcBjE3rv31S7OnL4yBz08