Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
2/3/24 4:14 p.m.

What's the study of ideal arrangement of guitars around the house? Feng Shui? Fender Schwing?

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/3/24 4:48 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

What's the study of ideal arrangement of guitars around the house? Feng Shui? Fender Schwing?

Everywhere

GCrites
GCrites Dork
2/3/24 5:26 p.m.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/3/24 6:59 p.m.

In reply to GCrites :

I'll have to refer back to this picture when I think about my own collection of Strats and wonder if it's getting out of hand...  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
2/3/24 8:20 p.m.
Antihero said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

HH tele! Woot!

The best kind of Tele IMO

I've always liked the idea of a HH Tele but never played one that I loved enough to buy.

First: I need to decide what neck to use. Since it's a "Tele deluxe" body (strat neck route)  the pocket will have to be modified if I want to use one of the Telecaster necks I have laying around.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/5/24 9:22 a.m.

I spent Saturday at the Orlando guitar show. Didn’t buy anything–just made some photos.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/5/24 9:45 a.m.

I need to get some pics, but I moved more of my stuff into my "music loft" (aka my attic) in my new house. All that's really left to bring up is my drum hardware and my electric drum kit that I've had for years and never set up. I actually went to plug into the amps yesterday to see how loud it is in the rest of the house, but I realized all my instrument cables were at our temporary apartment. D'oh! For sound deadening, I'm going to likely hang some moving blankets up. Should also act as a thermal barrier as well. 

Next acquisition: a drum rug. 

I've got a big kit, and since the floors are plywood up there, I need to lay something down so the drums don't dance across the floor. This one above is 6'x6' and should do the job. It's rubber backed, so it should stay put. 

I'm so pumped to finally have a dedicated space for all my music stuff. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/5/24 9:46 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I need to get some pics, but I moved more of my stuff into my "music loft" (aka my attic) in my new house. All that's really left to bring up is my drum hardware and my electric drum kit that I've had for years and never set up. I actually went to plug into the amps yesterday to see how loud it is in the rest of the house, but I realized all my instrument cables were at our temporary apartment. D'oh! For sound deadening, I'm going to likely hang some moving blankets up. Should also act as a thermal barrier as well. 

Next acquisition: a drum rug. 

I've got a big kit, and since the floors are plywood up there, I need to lay something down so the drums don't dance across the floor. This one above is 6'x6' and should do the job. It's rubber backed, so it should stay put. 

I'm so pumped to finally have a dedicated space for all my music stuff. 

Band rooms are awesome, congrats!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/7/24 9:16 a.m.

Last night, I went to my house to work on some stuff, and had to do some "noise testing". 

This is where my new music space will be. Ignore the insulation and construction stuff, and it's a good sized space. With the drums set up, there should still be enough room to get a couple more people up there to jam, and that's really all I'm looking for. On the sides, I'll probably hang up some moving blankets, and that should further cut down on the noise and "deaden" the sound a bit. The PEAVEY CVLT energy is strong up here. 

I did play guitar and bass for a while with my wife in various parts of the house, and she said that the noise was "not bad at all", and I was cranked up pretty high, so that's a good sign. Felt great to play at home for the first time in nearly a year. I like the vibe of the space, and I'll have to jazz it up with some posters/art from the rafters and the aforementioned drum rug. Really excited to FINALLY have my own space! 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/7/24 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Toss some rock wool insulation in those voids and it will dampen the noise even more.  That's a cool room!

BlueInGreen - Jon
2/7/24 10:49 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Starting to accumulate parts for something I've wanted to do for a long time:

Bridge and neck shipped and should be arriving by the end of this week, then the fun can really begin. I snagged a cheap but maybe decent Strat neck off eBay with a 14" fretboard radius to try something a bit different from the 9.5" radius on everything else I have.

If my plan for the electronics works out it should be pretty awesome :D

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
2/7/24 11:07 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

My tele has a 14" radius. I'm still undecided on it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/7/24 11:20 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

It's not rock wool, but there's a ton of insulation back there, which definitely helps already. The void has to stay mostly open to act as a vent for the space. But, I can work with this! Loving the exposed beams, and that space behind with the trusses definitely gives me an "Enterprise Warp Core" feel. Maybe I'll stuff some ambient lighting back there. laugh

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
2/7/24 9:50 p.m.

Last week my ID sister calls, "hey do you think you could teach me to play on video chat?"

Sure.

"Can you tell me what to buy?"

budget?

"Cheap, but sounds ok?"

So I tell her a couple things to watch for and to not buy anything without my approval. Subject simmers and then life happens and turns out we're going to be seeing each other this weekend. But then: 

Monday, a coworker says, "hey, my son moved suddenly and left his apartment a mess. He doesn't want any of it, and when I saw a guitar I thought you might want it."

Well, I don't want it. But I happen to be in the market anyway. Turns out it's a Fender FA100. Cheap and terrible. Sharp frets, awful action, loose tuners. But I can fix all that. And my daughter can help it look better. 

Some elbow grease and strings later:

And it's ready for a new player. For a grand total of $8.54. And if you're curious (I was) I'm told the artwork is "a dog in rain"

Hope sis likes it. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
2/12/24 6:44 p.m.

I did a thing. My wife may or may not kill me. 

My BIL owns a music store, and I've been casually bass shopping for a while. Today, I quit shopping. It's a "used" Schecter Omen Extreme. And the hardcase. And a set of flats. 

The plastic film is still on the pups and tuners. 

$300 OTD; it's been in the shop for a couple months now. I put it on layaway today. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/12/24 9:50 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

I did a thing. My wife may or may not kill me. 

My BIL owns a music store, and I've been casually bass shopping for a while. Today, I quit shopping. It's a "used" Schecter Omen Extreme. And the hardcase. And a set of flats. 

The plastic film is still on the pups and tuners. 

$300 OTD; it's been in the shop for a couple months now. I put it on layaway today. 

That is damn nice and flats are the best bass string IMO

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
2/12/24 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The photo doesn't do that Flame Maple justice. It's almost holographic...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/13/24 10:03 a.m.

That bass looks really, really nice! Schecter makes some great playing stuff, even in the "Diamond Series" line. That looks to be the absolute top of that line right there. 

Speaking of basses...

Did some more playing in my attic loft over the weekend. It's evident that I need to get something on the floor soon up there. I usually tap my foot when I play, and my wife said that made more noise downstairs than anything else, and I was playing pretty loud along to some music. Also, it's probably the first time I've really been able to turn up my Peavey Combo 115 amp past low volume since I bought it years ago; I had it cranked pretty high. It gets loud, but I can see why they make an extension cab for it. With the 1x15, it is very single-voiced. I may keep an eye out for the 2x10 extension cab to round out the sound. Either way, it sounds great for what it is. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/13/24 12:36 p.m.

Been playing this one for a few hours this morning.  It's nice to see Gibson is back to building good guitars again.

GCrites
GCrites Dork
2/13/24 8:31 p.m.

^so you don't want to run it over with a bulldozer?

BlueInGreen - Jon
2/13/24 9:04 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Mini humbuckers? That's a nice looking LP!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/20/24 9:10 a.m.

Over the weekend, I moved more of my music gear up to my new attic space. I've also started coming up with a plan on how things will be set up. First, I needed a rug. 

While there are such things as drum rugs, pretty much any large area rug with a rubber backing would do the job. So I found this for cheap on the jungle website:

I got it in 5'x7', and it has a rubber backing. As long as my bass drum cleats can sink into it without tearing it up, I'll be in business. Plus, the design will jazz up the space a bit. 

Another thing I wanted to get for a long time (and it's admittedly too late for moving the thing) were casters for my bass amp.

I was able to get some 3" rubber casters from Harbor Freight, but what I didn't realize is that Peaveys use a push-in caster, and these have 1/2x20 threaded posts that are essentially the same diameter. The Peavey-compatible ones are more than double the price of the HF ones, so I may just use my tap-and-die kit and cut threads into the mounts. I think I'd rather a thread-in caster anyway so they don't fall out when I take it up stairs and the like. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/20/24 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Push-in casters should have a detent that keeps them from falling out. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
2/20/24 6:42 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Mini humbuckers? That's a nice looking LP!

Yep. They reissued the deluxe that I've wanted forever but wasn't paying 6k for a norlin era guitar. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/22/24 8:39 p.m.

These are like playing spaghetti, you need a ridiculously light touch to make them work, which I don't have so it's very interesting.

The G string is do soft vibrato is hard, you gotta waaaaayyyy over exaggerate it or else it's not even there really

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Br15XNTspaReI6rMs4AdXl8UZlbI1jL3wJdzovgyXiL8e9DoNHkwwUa5hHRinC0