mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
10/27/14 5:22 p.m.

Well hell. This is going to be brutal.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/10/27/twitters-user-growth-key-to-earnings-live-blog/

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
10/28/14 9:04 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I've realized that Tesla spends heavily on infrastructure that will only yield short-lived, short term gains - for example, their Supercharger and battery swap stations are proprietary to their products and will make zero sense in maybe 2-5 years (when Li-ion batteries with TiO2 anodes will be common). I wonder what effect this could have on their stock prices in the future?

They have opened up their patents so the Superchargers and battery swap stations will work with other cars if other people design around them. I suspect that will happen in the next few years.

Also, no reason that their superchargers and battery swap stations won't work with different batteries. The mechanical part would have to be compatible and the swap station would need to be able to pull from two different battery arrays but there's no reason they wouldn't have designed around that.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
10/28/14 10:22 a.m.

A big swing, and a BIG miss on Twitter. Hello 10th place

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/30/14 1:36 p.m.

Picking the right day to short FB FTW!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/31/14 12:09 p.m.

Green day, today.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
11/5/14 2:39 p.m.

After taking a blood bath guessing market reaction to strong earnings reports, seriously WTF?, I'm gambling on energy stocks due to the BIG swing in the senate. Wish me luck

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/5/14 3:10 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote: After taking a blood bath guessing market reaction to strong earnings reports, seriously WTF?, I'm gambling on energy stocks due to the BIG swing in the senate. Wish me luck

Look longer term. Most people are simply never going to be good enough to win the short term trading game.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
11/6/14 9:42 a.m.

Tesla on the rebound.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
11/7/14 12:56 p.m.

Tried buying/selling a lot today....rode sears up and then right back down Up %3.5 today alone using this, very dangerous, technique.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
11/7/14 1:09 p.m.

Any of you guys good at writing simple programs? I was wondering if a simple model of daily watching the 10 biggest market gainers, with relative data like price and volume, and seeing if we could predict which to short the next day, and for how much?

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
11/10/14 2:01 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote: Is anyone able to add to a position, without having to sell all current shares and then buying back?

All you should have to do is go into the Trading tab, enter the ticker and then select trade. Buy on the Trading tab and sell under your Portfolio tab. I don't know why they did it that way.

.....and sorry guys I vanished for a few weeks. Things got a little nuts for me. Hate that I started this thing and then vanished. But I'm back. LOL

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/10/14 3:43 p.m.

I haven't touched anything for like 2 weeks plus.....no wonder wu tang is in 8th and the named one is way behind.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
11/10/14 8:07 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I haven't touched anything for like 2 weeks plus.....no wonder wu tang is in 8th and the named one is way behind.

You really do drive yourself batty if you pay attention to it every day. It's like when all we did was talk about Ebola and then everyone started to panic. Yeah, you probably already forgot Ebola was a thing.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/11/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to CamaroKeith:

Nah, day trading brought WuTang from the back to the top in a few days.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/11/14 9:51 a.m.

Every single one of my stocks is down considerably.

Any strategies on how to dig myself out of a $125k hole?

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
11/13/14 9:33 a.m.

I glean thefool and marketwatch each morning for ideas. Daytrading can drive you batty, but it can work. I noticed someone cleared 16.1% yesterday alone. How on earth???

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/13/14 10:07 a.m.

In reply to mthomson22:

If that someone jumped to fourth place overnight then he's the one that has been bragging to me all morning about it. As far as I know he only owns one stock and lives and dies with it.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
11/13/14 11:41 a.m.
CamaroKeith wrote:
mthomson22 wrote: Is anyone able to add to a position, without having to sell all current shares and then buying back?
All you should have to do is go into the Trading tab, enter the ticker and then select trade. Buy on the Trading tab and sell under your Portfolio tab. I don't know why they did it that way. .....and sorry guys I vanished for a few weeks. Things got a little nuts for me. Hate that I started this thing and then vanished. But I'm back. LOL

Thanks Keith, it works like that.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
11/21/14 2:33 p.m.

Man....we kinda have ourselves a game going on here!

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/21/14 3:56 p.m.

In reply to CamaroKeith: Indeed

WuTang clan ain't nothing to berkeley with

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/19/14 11:15 a.m.

Figure someone here might know...

If i want to do this for real, what's the easiest/fastest/cheapest online deal?

I looked at Fidelity, but they have a $2500 minimum, and i'm looking more to play with $500 just to get a feel for it. I know it's not enough to make any real money, but I'm having a hard time forcing myself to not throw my millions around and make stupid decisions in the game.

I'd like to give it a try for real in a low-risk scenario.

Any ideas, input?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/19/14 12:07 p.m.

try here

http://chan0512.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Cheapest-Discount-Brokerage-Account-more

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/19/14 12:09 p.m.

Jeez I must've bought all my stock when they were extraordinarily high because I haven't done anything in week and I'm in last place.

How do I dig myself out of a 337k hole?

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
12/19/14 12:29 p.m.

I'm right down there with you PHeller. I was top 5 when I was foolishly 'day trading'....now that I diversified with strong companies I'm 22nd. Time to try to 'day trade' my way out of a $100,000 hole.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/19/14 12:36 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote: I'm right down there with you PHeller. I was top 5 when I was foolishly 'day trading'....now that I diversified with strong companies I'm 22nd. Time to try to 'day trade' my way out of a $100,000 hole.

Right... after all the "day trading sucks!" sentiment, seems like it may have been the most effective way to make a buttload of cash in this market.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0g3zKHp3ZRXJR7neyPfSS2mRMipgdcvmPaZ98uZr49K7qYuyWAlQkjapL33Wo2lj