1 2
ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
8/13/08 12:28 p.m.

Yesterday I saw a Cadillac with a really odd paint scheme. It was a pearlescent white that looked light pink in some angles. It's a more recent Caddy like a DTS or DeVille, and had "Mary Kay" badges on the front door over the rocker panels. Did Caddy actually make these things or is this some sort of aftermarket modification?

WilD
WilD Reader
8/13/08 12:49 p.m.

I've seen those before as well, but it has been a few years. How many beauty products do they have to sell to get one of those anyway?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/13/08 12:58 p.m.

A crapload. But if you don't make the cut for a Caddie, there's Mary Kay Pontiacs and Saturns, too. Used to be Buicks, as well.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/13/08 1:01 p.m.

Yeah. I saw a Mary Kay Escalade last weekend. I thought it was the end of the world.

therex
therex Dork
8/13/08 1:06 p.m.

Mary Kay is the goddamn devil.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
8/13/08 1:54 p.m.

A girl I knew in high school's mom had a '93 Mary Kay Grand Prix, bright friggin' pink. Man that thing was hideous.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
8/13/08 2:42 p.m.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
8/13/08 3:50 p.m.
WilD wrote: I've seen those before as well, but it has been a few years. How many beauty products do they have to sell to get one of those anyway?
Tim Baxter wrote: A crapload. But if you don't make the cut for a Caddie, there's Mary Kay Pontiacs and Saturns, too. Used to be Buicks, as well.

So, these things are rewards for Mary Kay salesmen/women/persons (covering my bases)? Yikes...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/13/08 3:55 p.m.

Yup. Mary Kay reps who sell X amount of product get one. By my quick and sloppy google search, it looks like selling $18,000 worth of lipstick and and whatnot makes you eligible for a Pontiac Vibe.

curtis73
curtis73 New Reader
8/13/08 3:58 p.m.

I had a friend who got as far as the MK Grand Am a few years ago, which of course she couldnt use because it was always broken somehow.

Its modified by Mary Kay by private local contractors... translated, when you qualify for a MK car, they buy one from the dealer and take it to a local body shop where its painted and the decals added.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/13/08 4:12 p.m.
ArtOfRuin wrote:
WilD wrote: I've seen those before as well, but it has been a few years. How many beauty products do they have to sell to get one of those anyway?
Tim Baxter wrote: A crapload. But if you don't make the cut for a Caddie, there's Mary Kay Pontiacs and Saturns, too. Used to be Buicks, as well.
So, these things are rewards for Mary Kay salesmen/women/persons (covering my bases)?

Oh no. I'm going to rant. Please don't be offended - I mean no harm and have only the best intentions here. I'm just making a point an using your example.

To the general readers: please don't give into the current trend of making sure each word is genderized so that peoples' feelings aren't hurt.

Salesmen. They can be women, but they're still salesmen. "saleswomen" is not a word. "Salesperson" is also not a word. The suffix "men" (plural) or "man" (singular) does NOT signify gender. It is the same suffix that you have at the end of the word "Human". My girlfriend does not have a penis, and she is a Human. She is not a HuWoman.

Sorry. I can no longer sit back and watch over-active feminists, racist racial equality activists, and angry homosexuals tear apart the language that I am so proud to speak. We all need to stand up and unite against this movement too, or else we'll have words banned from language (like the "N" word probably will be for white people).

GRM: if I read a sentence in your pure, delicious magazine that contains the phrase "his/her" when it is referring to an anonymous "Everyman", I'll likely stop reading, burn the issue, and then gouge out my eyes. (Don't worry, I'll still re-up my subscription when it expires!) We need to be proud of our language and stand up to those people who want to destroy it.

Sorry. Rant over.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
8/13/08 4:22 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
ArtOfRuin wrote:
So, these things are rewards for Mary Kay salesmen/women/persons (covering my bases)?
Oh no. I'm going to rant. Please don't be offended - I mean no harm and have only the best intentions here. I'm just making a point an using your example. To the general readers: please don't give into the current trend of making sure each word is genderized so that peoples' feelings aren't hurt. Salesmen. They can be women, but they're still salesmen. "saleswomen" is not a word. "Salesperson" is also not a word. The suffix "men" (plural) or "man" (singular) does NOT signify gender. It is the same suffix that you have at the end of the word "Human". My girlfriend does not have a penis, and she is a Human. She is not a HuWoman. Sorry. I can no longer sit back and watch over-active feminists, racist racial equality activists, and angry homosexuals tear apart the language that I am so proud to speak. We all need to stand up and unite against this movement too, or else we'll have words banned from language (like the "N" word probably will be for white people). GRM: if I read a sentence in your pure, delicious magazine that contains the phrase "his/her" when it is referring to an anonymous "Everyman", I'll likely stop reading, burn the issue, and then gouge out my eyes. (Don't worry, I'll still re-up my subscription when it expires!) We need to be proud of our language and stand up to those people who want to destroy it. Sorry. Rant over.

For a second there, I thought this was going to be our favorite run-on joke but it appears you're serious. Since when are we serious on this board?

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
8/13/08 4:59 p.m.

I have already told my wife if she dies that I am going to hang around a Mary Kay Convention to find my next wife.

Rich, successful, and aggressive women wearing makeup by the boatloads really turn me on.

I figure it would leave me more time to spend in the garage.

Type Q
Type Q Reader
8/13/08 5:15 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Rich, successful, and aggressive women wearing makeup by the boatloads really turn me on. I figure it would leave me more time to spend in the garage.

Painting their cars pink and adding Mary Kay decals!

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/13/08 8:37 p.m.
pete240z wrote: I have already told my wife if she dies that I am going to hang around a Mary Kay Convention to find my next wife. Rich, successful, and aggressive women wearing makeup by the boatloads really turn me on. I figure it would leave me more time to spend in the garage.

Please kill me if i ever say these words

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
8/13/08 8:39 p.m.

Why is that?

My girlfriend (business degree and all) is a stylist who also sells Mary Kay.

I make above the national average, in one of the cheapest states to live.............................she makes almost double what I do.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/13/08 8:56 p.m.

Call me crazy, but I judge success in a different way. Is it safe to assume you are in your 20's?

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
8/13/08 9:42 p.m.

The cars roll off the Generals assembly lines already decked out in the appropriate red or pearlescent colour. The Caddies have a placard with the director’s name engraved on it when they leave the plant. They have full manufacturers warranties and that includes the paint. They are not repainted. The car is awarded much as a company car is for service accomplishments. These include individual sales as well as productive team members making a profit. These women are managers/ salesmen with goals that are met. It is a leased car that is available for purchase at the end of the lease term. More than one may be earned at a time and many husbands are "employed" by their wives and drive a new Cadillac for free. You don’t want to tangle with a successful Mary Kay Lady.

You also don’t want to know how I know all this.

If I try hard I may be able to get my household expert to clarify any questions and tell you how you too can drive a free car.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
8/14/08 7:33 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: Call me crazy, but I judge success in a different way. Is it safe to assume you are in your 20's?

Different strokes for different folks.

But yes 26.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/14/08 8:02 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: For a second there, I thought this was going to be our favorite run-on joke but it appears you're serious. Since when are we serious on this board?

Nah. I wasn't too serious. I was just pointing out those little annoyances that our society is forcing on us and inflating them to show how absurd they are.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/14/08 8:06 a.m.

So, how does this Mary Kay thing work? A friend of mine is trying to sell the stuff. She has been doing so for maybe two years, but she always tells me what the Mary Kay company must tell everybody in their brain washing ceremony.

"Mary Kay is, like, rated as the best place for women to work in America."

I guess you buy inventory from them and then sell it for whatever you want? I understand that they buy the inventory back from you if you can't sell it. How do you sell the stuff though? I'll bet ex-drug dealers are great at this.

MEGA EDIT: They're probably on the street right now pushing "The K".

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/14/08 8:29 a.m.

I used to work for a company that used the same business model. There's even a trade group for them, the Direct Selling Association. You've basically got the idea.

Reps buy the stuff, then turn around and sell it. They keep X. There's tons of incentives, bonuses and freebies involved, but that's the basic plan. The other big component is recruiting reps. As far as I can tell, the whole business model hinges on constantly finding new reps.

Among the reps there's typically levels, so you always want to be trying to hit the next level and become eligible for the next thing, whatever that is.

I don't know about drug dealers. What I saw was a lot of 30 or 40-something women who appeared to have all been cheerleaders in high school. They were outrageously outgoing and exuberant. Some of 'em made a lot of money, too. It's not a business for wallflowers.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
8/14/08 8:44 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I used to work for a company that used the same business model.

i think when i took my sales training course they called it the "Pyramid Scheme Model"

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
8/14/08 10:57 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: What I saw was a lot of 30 or 40-something women who appeared to have all been cheerleaders in high school. They were outrageously outgoing and exuberant. Some of 'em made a lot of money, too.

YES, these are the women I am talking about.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
8/14/08 11:02 a.m.
pete240z wrote: Rich, successful, and aggressive women wearing makeup by the boatloads really turn me on.

except not this type................

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mim4GDTKEWsOOEiVkECJE2odaAHcNJOwWziopH8xJwWJWLxtngp9zJJjlMjyecIr