integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/27/10 3:24 p.m.

The latest issue of EVO shows a drawing of what will most likely be the next MX-5, due in just under a year. The car will "share" the Nagare surfacing effects/details that are a part of the new 2011 Mazda5's styling. Apparently, these are the only 2 mainstream Mazdas that will ever use this styling....effect(?), as it will be discontinued after the new Miata debuts.

It's also rumored that Mazda is working on an "electric" turbo for the rotary engine. I'm sorry, but I didn't read all the news on that one, except my IMPRESSION is that this new turbo would be powered by electricity, and not engine exhaust gases...not sure how. Mazda is also mulling going back to the "roots" of the rotary sports car with a car somewhat reminescent of the first RX-7s.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/27/10 3:35 p.m.

Not to be confused with the electric superchargers that are sold on eBay-

Thomas Knight has been working on "real" electric superchargers for a long time now. I have no idea if this is the direction that Mazda will be going, but I like the idea. I suspect if it is, we'll also see the word "Hybrid" in the name.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
9/27/10 3:37 p.m.
integraguy wrote: The next MX-5... will "share" the Nagare surfacing effects/details that are a part of the new 2011 Mazda5's styling.

The upcoming Shinari (Mazda 6 concept) has some really fantastic lines - why couldn't they take inspiration from that instead of aping the absurd 'grinning fish' look of their current lineup?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
9/27/10 5:08 p.m.

Is there a picture of this forthcoming abomination?

integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/27/10 6:18 p.m.

Sorry, if you want to see a picture you have to buy the mag, I try to avoid "hotlinking".

By the way, it's not really an "abomination", so much as you have to wonder if the designers are/were running out of ideas on how to distinguish one series of the Miata from another. The grille opening is bigger, a la the latest Mazda's "grinning fish" grille opening, and the side panels have what I think are a few superfluous swirls...didn't get a rear view.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
9/27/10 7:14 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Sorry, if you want to see a picture you have to buy the mag, I try to avoid "hotlinking".

Found one for you:

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
9/28/10 8:07 a.m.

I don't' care enough about Miatas to go track down the picture. I'll just say if it involves that stupid fish looking grill, it's going to look horrid.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
9/28/10 8:11 a.m.

Nuff said.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/28/10 7:39 p.m.

Still say that styling is a rip off of "Heavy Metal."

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
9/28/10 9:04 p.m.

Did the magazine mention anything about specs? I remember reading a while ago that Mazda was going to shoot for returning the weight of the next gen Miata to the level of the first gen Miata. I'm just curious if that's still the goal.

Bob

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
9/28/10 9:06 p.m.

They already integrated the smiley-face grill in the last refresh. It really doesn't look too bad.

I wonder how different this "all-new" version will be.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/28/10 9:19 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Sorry, if you want to see a picture you have to buy the mag, I try to avoid "hotlinking".

Sounds like something an unintended victim would say.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/28/10 9:27 p.m.

Am I the only one who likes the second generation Speed3 styling? The grille doesn't look great on the blue MS3's,but on all the other colors it looks great. On the regular 3 it isn't that great looking,but on the speed3 I like it.

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
9/28/10 9:46 p.m.

Yes I think you're the only one. Ever. Forever.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/28/10 9:49 p.m.
3Door4G wrote: Yes I think you're the only one. Ever. Forever.

You're wrong. The smiley-face is not my favorite styling cue, but I really like the rest of the car. I prefer the sedan over the 5-door and, yes, I know there isn't a MS3 sedan, but there should be.

Some of the colors do a good job of masking the smile, too.

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
9/28/10 9:56 p.m.

To be fair, I'm one of those grumpy people who always thinks the styling on any new car isn't as good as the previous model.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
9/28/10 10:09 p.m.

I even like the smiley face. Much better than a frowny face.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/28/10 11:34 p.m.

I like the O face best.

rainydave
rainydave New Reader
9/28/10 11:49 p.m.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/29/10 6:10 a.m.
3Door4G wrote: To be fair, I'm one of those grumpy people who always thinks the styling on any new car isn't as good as the previous model.

I tend to agree with you,but the 2nd generation Speed3 in my opinion is a nice looking car. The grille is different on the speed models than the regular 3's,and that is what makes them look better in my opinion. I still don't like it on the Celestial Blue,but on the black it really looks great,and the red,and silver(grey) it blends in as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SSNfMQouK0L6ns591HPf5Z0tOzYkVNtVr37qx9LVmEp68HzF32aq3M449waVPu0z