Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/24/22 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

My siblings had one.  It was pretty cool.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
3/24/22 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That’s awesome! Keep feeding him this kind of stuff, Duplo blocks, Legos when he’s a bit older, read to him every chance you get.  Feed that amazing sponge of a brain!  They learn so much at this stage and your efforts really really make a difference.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
3/24/22 9:10 p.m.

I just repaired a 2 week old disposable razor. 

I am ^that cheap. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
3/24/22 11:55 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I bought this Fisher-Price video player for the hellspawn. You can chuck different  "tapes" into it, you watch through a lense while you hand crank the frames of film.

The lens was blurry.  I attributed it to being a 40 year old toy, beat on by countless children. Oh well.

I show the boy how it works. He starts fiddling with it as kids do. He adjusts the lens via a thumb wheel.

In his own small way, he's already smarter than his old man.

Cool! We had one of those. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/25/22 8:12 a.m.

Minor confession: my wife and I are going to see a house today that were 80% sure is going to get bid up past our budget, but that last 20% is enough hope to really sting if it does.

Our only goal is that people see the scale/scope of project and are scared off where we are able to stand strong, lol. ~94 year old home that has been lived in but clearly not maintained/kept up for the last decade or more.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
3/25/22 4:30 p.m.

I stayed up late and watched the last ~40 minutes of Battleship.

THREE TIMES

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
3/27/22 11:22 a.m.

Got drunk last night for the first time in a long time. Probably be the last time for a long time. I'll stick to other things, this morning after sucks way more than I remember. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/27/22 11:46 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Hung over with kids around is a special level of hell. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/27/22 12:38 p.m.
RevRico said:

Got drunk last night for the first time in a long time. Probably be the last time for a long time. I'll stick to other things, this morning after sucks way more than I remember. 

WATER. 

Drink a pint of water before bed. Takes 80% of the hangover away.

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
3/27/22 12:46 p.m.

I've hit another one of those mental low-points.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/27/22 1:12 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

Minor confession: my wife and I are going to see a house today that were 80% sure is going to get bid up past our budget, but that last 20% is enough hope to really sting if it does.

Our only goal is that people see the scale/scope of project and are scared off where we are able to stand strong, lol. ~94 year old home that has been lived in but clearly not maintained/kept up for the last decade or more.

That's how we got roughly 50 percent off asking for our first house. Nothing was terrible but it needed cleaned and a few fixes that wouldn't bug me but someone who doesn't do construction would hate.

It's a good plan

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
3/27/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thankfully, the loud one is at her grandmothers until this evening.  Which is why I let loose a little last night. Great time, most of our adult friends, no children, which is very rare these days. We got Tanzanian food, which I highly recommend. Good little get together that wasn't a poker night or birthday party. 

But man, 7-8 beers averaging 7.2% really packs a punch when you've been averaging less than one drink a month.

I watered up before bed, several bottles, no difference. Just can't believe I used to do this every day. Don't miss it, don't know how the people I know who still do it every day manage. 

3/27/22 1:14 p.m.
Duke said:
RevRico said:

WATER. 

Drink a pint of water before bed. Takes 80% of the hangover away.

This, totally this.

I also add in a few 8 hour Tylenol if I know I've drank too much.

3/27/22 1:20 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I think it's just become a part of their lives at a certain point. I know someone who used to drink 10 E36 M3ty beers every single day. 

The whole idea behind a buzz and some alcohol is that it's different from the normal day to day and therefore relaxing to me. If it was everyday, several hours a day it would be boring and kinda sad IMO.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/27/22 1:43 p.m.

I have family in town. They're about 20min away from me at universal. I haven't seen them in....6+ years. I'm not sure I want to. They probably don't even realize where I am so it'll be a null score, but I'm still thinking about it. 

Honsch
Honsch Reader
3/28/22 3:38 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Bad idea to mix acetaminophen and alcohol.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/28/22 10:13 a.m.
Honsch said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Bad idea to mix acetaminophen and alcohol.

Yeah, I would avoid it. Stick with Aleve (Naproxen Sodium). The risks with Acetaminophen and alcohol are actually pretty low if it is a once-a-year thing, low enough to not worry about it after the fact, but not low enough to actually do it if you know. 

On the alcohol thing... My brother, who is 2 years sober, never got a hangover. 27 years old, could drink a bottle of whiskey and wake up ready to go on 4 hours of sleep (probably still drunk, but he hid it exceptionally well - the only clues we had were the empty bottles under his bed/sofa). 

But this is why I am on the search for a good, low alcohol beer. Less than 4%. I've found one, but it is expensive and overcarbonated. I've found bad ones (Bud Select 55, Miller 64), and decent but expensive NA beers... Ah, I'll stick with my 4-5% ABV pilseners and lagers and just have some carbonated water in between each drink. I've found that if I'm drinking carbonated water out of a glass bottle, it gets me probably 25% of the experience and is easy to cut my drinking down. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/28/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I've been enjoying session IPAs. Few are below 4% alcohol, but some are around 4.5%. Still low enough to enjoy without the punch of a typical IPA. My current favorite is Greenskeeper, by Land Grant. I don't know if that's available outside of Ohio though.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/28/22 10:33 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I've tried and tried and tried to like IPAs, especially those low ABV versions. Nope. They do not agree with my palate, even good ones just are bad for me. 

Rant: I cannot find motivation to excel in my job. I need a new one. Interviews take forever (interviewing for 2 right now, applying to dozens every week). Ugh. I don't need to like my job, I just need to get through the next 1-6 months until I find something different.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
3/28/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

You need a friend in Utah. The beer sold there is under 4% by state law. If you know any travelers or military talk to them, I'm fairly certain most regular beer is available just in a lower alcohol form.

That's pulling on 10 year old memories, so things may have changed.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/28/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Things have changed. I'm not 100% on details since I don't drink, but a couple years ago they upped the abv rules. Used to be 3.5% iirc. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
3/28/22 1:48 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

In the early 90's it was 3.2% in UT and CO (if you bought it anywhere other than a liquor store). 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/28/22 2:41 p.m.

3.2 beer is basically a thing of the past at this point. Minnesota is the only place left for it, and their stores are having a hard time finding it because all the manufacturers have given up on it. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/05/709515770/the-end-is-near-for-3-2-beer

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/28/22 2:43 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to RevRico :

Things have changed. I'm not 100% on details since I don't drink, but a couple years ago they upped the abv rules. Used to be 3.5% iirc. 

My cousin-in-law, who I believe grew up drinking Busch Light for breakfast, and his Wisconsinite girlfriend, say that they can get beer in Utah now, but it is too expensive so they drive to Nevada once a month and stock up.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
3/29/22 9:14 a.m.

As much as I think Hollywood should be a glowing crater, it is amazing watching all the tabloids pretend that horrendously fake slap was anything but an attempt to gain more viewers next year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y6XjZjAnSj8fx5z3ZSwvbLAa8FkIhbS1FzbVICAv15GgJ3e9X40v3L0t5nd3qc7A