Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/22/24 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I know exactly which section I need. Unfortunately, most specs don't have an index so I have to scan through 1/3 of pages to find the few sheets I need. 

It still doesn't explain why a box store needs almost 1000 pages of specs. It's not like they are building a hospital. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/22/24 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

When I used to do a lot of work for the University, their construction contracts had 3 tiers. Up to $6k or so could be single-sourced. $6 to $28k  required 3 bids, and anything greater required that it go through public bidding. The problem was that there's a no-mans land where public bidding is massively inefficient, because of the extreme paperwork, the consultants and engineers, the overblown specifications, et cetera. So occasionally I ended up with multiple contracts to keep it on a lower tier: One for supplying material, one for labor, etcetera. And we still saved the University great gobs of money by not feeding the bureaucracy. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/22/24 10:58 a.m.

This coming Saturday is my middlest daughter's high school graduation.  yay!  Yesterday afternoon the school sent out an email saying that tickets will now be required for all guests attending the graduation.  There are a total of 24 students in the senior class and the graduation is happening inside the cathedral, so it's not like there's a lot to worry about in regards to space.  We told everyone when and where the graduation was going to be and didn't care if they were coming or not.  But now they want me to run down everyone and find out.  So I just gave them the full list of everyone on both sides of the family and they can just print a E36 M3load of tickets out, most of which won't be used.

I will say, though, that if Seb Vettel isn't busy this weekend, there'll be a ticket waiting for him because I slipped his name between the names of my sisters-in-law just for fun.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
5/22/24 1:20 p.m.
tuna55 said:
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

You have a few things to do. Update your resume is the obvious one. The less obvious is to look at the private equity firm's track record. It will take only a few minutes to figure out how they operate. The Worst case is it will confirm your worst fears and make your decisions easier.  The Best case will show that they are building a business portfolio of some kind, complimentary businesses, across industries, etc... 

I intend to do just that after this week is over. It's a very busy and stressful week with our listing agency in town to witness tests (UL). Essentially google [company name] "layoffs" when looking through their portfolio of divested or longer term companies. It's called Tailwind. I don't know much about them, and none of their companies immediately ring any bells.

Is there any chance to do an employee purchase of the business?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/22/24 3:39 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
tuna55 said:
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

You have a few things to do. Update your resume is the obvious one. The less obvious is to look at the private equity firm's track record. It will take only a few minutes to figure out how they operate. The Worst case is it will confirm your worst fears and make your decisions easier.  The Best case will show that they are building a business portfolio of some kind, complimentary businesses, across industries, etc... 

I intend to do just that after this week is over. It's a very busy and stressful week with our listing agency in town to witness tests (UL). Essentially google [company name] "layoffs" when looking through their portfolio of divested or longer term companies. It's called Tailwind. I don't know much about them, and none of their companies immediately ring any bells.

Is there any chance to do an employee purchase of the business?

Too late, it's all done. Since it's a one man owned show, there was never any discussion. Until two days ago, nobody, not even the VPs, knew what was going to happen. We all assumed the kid would get it anyway.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/22/24 3:53 p.m.
Duke said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Our country has got it's problems to be sure, but treating the opposition as the devil ain't helping things. 

That has pissed me off for all of my adult life.

Used to be in this country that it didn't matter what side you were on, (most) everybody respected your beliefs. It wasn't uncommon to have meaningful back and forth with friends, relatives, or coworkers on the other side. Sometimes you would agree on points, sometimes you wouldn't, but the conversation was always civil and agreeable. 

I enjoyed those conversations, but they're becoming fewer and fewer

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/22/24 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I have one at work that is a joy. I apparently wore a blue tie two days in a row.  Not as a statement but because they matched the shirts I wore. I was somehow unaware that we're all supposed to wear red ties to support his candidate in their time of trouble.  I really didn't expect an angry critique of my fashion choices but I've now got to wear blue ties every day. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/22/24 4:25 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I have one at work that is a joy. I apparently wore a blue tie two days in a row.  Not as a statement but because they matched the shirts I wore. I was somehow unaware that we're all supposed to wear red ties to support his candidate in their time of trouble.  I really didn't expect an angry critique of my fashion choices but I've now got to wear blue ties every day. 

Wow.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
5/22/24 4:42 p.m.
Peabody said:
Duke said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Our country has got it's problems to be sure, but treating the opposition as the devil ain't helping things. 

That has pissed me off for all of my adult life.

Used to be in this country that it didn't matter what side you were on, (most) everybody respected your beliefs. It wasn't uncommon to have meaningful back and forth with friends, relatives, or coworkers on the other side. Sometimes you would agree on points, sometimes you wouldn't, but the conversation was always civil and agreeable. 

I enjoyed those conversations, but they're becoming fewer and fewer

The USSR as a common global threat back in the day gave everybody a common enemy to work against. Their dissolution opened up a divide that's only gotten worse, despite plenty of common causes that could be found. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/22/24 4:42 p.m.

I'm trying to sell the Yaris, for cheap since it's rusted out and high mileage, and I've gotten a large number of responses to the ads all in Spanish. C'mon, my name is obviously not Hispanic and my ad is (well-)written all in English. Contacting me in another language is not going to get a response.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/22/24 5:05 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Wow.

If this guy isn't your boss you need to troll him brutally from now on. If he is, you need to troll him subtly from now on.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/22/24 6:02 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The funny part is he's someone I almost never talk to about anything, yet he somehow has s better memory of my ties than I do. He's not even in my department, just in the same building.  I'm going to have a little fun anyway. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/22/24 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

You ever see the video with the husband, wife, and dog. They run in opposite directions to see who the dog follows. 

The dog sits there looking back and forth with a WTF look on his face. I feel a lot like that dog. 

Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/22/24 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

There was a term, now obsolete, which I loved. It was the "loyal oposition". The last time I remember it used was IRT the relationship of Tip O'Neal to Ronald Reagan. But I prefer it as a guiding principle: i.e. "We both love the country and are working towards its betterment. We just disagree on how to do it." If said individuals can laugh about it over drinks, all the better.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/22/24 7:13 p.m.

It's my 20th wedding anniversary and I'm stuck in Lafayette, Indiana instead of with my wife having a lovely dinner.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/22/24 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I vote you really mess with his head and wear a blue and red striped tie.  Also my condolences on wearing ties in summer heat, I had to do it for years at the previous employer and do not miss it one tiny bit.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/22/24 7:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

One of the Chrome click bait articles was someone complaining that her new Wrangler couldn't go faster than 70mph uphill.

Why would anyone want to drive a Wrangler that fast?

I have a 700HP Gladiator. It's real fun getting to 65mph, but that's about it. Anything faster is scary. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/22/24 8:04 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I'm probably the last person left that doesn't mind wearing ties, but I wear short sleeve shirts.  I've been told I shouldn't because it's a 70s tv detective look as if that would be a deterrent. 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
5/22/24 8:24 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I'm probably the last person left that doesn't mind wearing ties, but I wear short sleeve shirts.  I've been told I shouldn't because it's a 70s tv detective look as if that would be a deterrent. 

Clearly you need more mustache.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Back when I was first in the Air Force, we had to wear our dress uniform (blues) on the first Monday of every month. I hated wearing that uniform since it was so uncomfortable so I always opted to wear the short sleeve variant which was also open collar. However, a tie was optional. So I started wearing the short sleeve and tie combination which my leadership hated but since it was authorized, they couldn't do anything about it. 

We called the short sleeve/tie combination "the Drew Carey" (this was the early 2000s).

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/22/24 9:43 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/22/24 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/22/24 10:38 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

lol, I was debating between rainbow or red/blue :)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/24 11:05 p.m.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/23/24 12:22 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

We called the short sleeve/tie combination "the Drew Carey" (this was the early 2000s).

The Sipowicz... it was always the Sipowicz!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ljm32x6qHCrp5rRITMlMkE8p2uhooj3bjkMa6eHTPkpzk1aK1E3CCNLiTr0Q7Lmn