Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/24/24 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Very sorry to hear that.  Please keep us posted as you are able.  Best of luck and medical science to you folks.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
5/25/24 2:18 a.m.

In reply to All of you magnificent people :

Thanks, everybody. Your kind words are appreciated. 

Dad is 79, and he's been in declining health for a long time. I will be surprised if he makes it to the end of June.

ReconMom, ReconSis, and I have all had our chance to process things and come to grips with Dad's health. Dad, on the other hand, has not. He's still fighting, and I love him for it...

But I would rather he stop suffering. 

It's gonna be a hard row to hoe for all of us...

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/25/24 8:57 a.m.

Long weekend. Perfect weather. I have a man cold. This sucks. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/25/24 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I had to move my dad to an assisted living a few weeks ago. He is 88 and used to doing stuff on his own-semi-independent with my help on the weekends until mid February this year. It really sucks when they want to do things, but the body is just done.  

Correction Dementia and Alzheimers is worse. But this sucks too. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/25/24 10:51 a.m.

When you are a kid, you don't realize it, but our dads were/are tougher than leather. They didn't puff their chest and say, "Look how tuff I am.," they just were.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/25/24 3:14 p.m.

Since I can't find the parts to do job one, parts I know I have, I've moved on to job two, and I'm missing one fitting. A fitting I know I have because I test fit it last week. The fact that I am unusually tired today even though I slept well last night is definitely not helping.

Not having a great day. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/25/24 3:23 p.m.

I have no idea what the gritty details are, and I don't really care...  Apparently, there is one student in my daughter's class that they are not permitting to walk at graduation tonight.  No idea why, again, don't care.  Apparently they threatened to show up with huge numbers of people to stage some sort of protest or to clog up the works or take up all the available seats or something, so now they've issued tickets and might even be checking ID at the door and at the baccalaureate Mass and brunch this morning they had a couple cops wandering around.  I'm sorry that your kid doesn't get to walk, but my kid didn't cause that and I didn't cause that, so why are you going to try to punish me?  And if we assume that you're wanting to have some sort of protest to "raise awareness" or whatever the kids say these days do you actually think that you're going to convert me to your cause or side by somehow disrupting or disturbing my kid's graduation ceremony?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/25/24 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

My dad was a guy that did everything. Cars, plumbing, painting, carpentry and taught me to do it all.  On cars I'd tighten the nut/bolt then he'd crank it further - strongest guy I knew.  

When he was in his early 70's he called me to tell me he was too weak to cut his grass any more so I took over and realized the weird cycle of life we are all circling.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/25/24 9:21 p.m.

moving today and one of these on our bed broke. normally wouldn't be a problem except it's a 3/4 inch thread size and no one seems to carry that. Might be the first time McMaster didn't have the fastener I needed. Might have to just permanently glue the bed together or something

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/25/24 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Oof, I'm so sorry and send all the good thoughts and feelings.  Mine is 88 and still doing well but there are signs around the edges; we had a little fun in October of 2022 and had a pacemaker installed.  It helped quite a bit and it brought him back to his normal can't sit still self but "minor procedure" or not it was still it was a brush with mortality for him and in a way me too.   I'm hoping you get to spend some quality time with your Dad, wishing both you and your family the best.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/26/24 8:44 a.m.

Please, DO NOT drag me into your divorce. We've been friends almost 20 years, I'm not playing favourites.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
5/26/24 3:17 p.m.

Rod knock on the free boat motor. I expected something when the oil I took out of it was sludgy. 

Now I'm going to look into rebuilding it, if parts are available.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/27/24 12:56 p.m.

Man I hate mission creep on jobs.

Start a pole barn for someone, wants a little storage area for stuff like Xmas stuff and trusses are a ways out so we would build the roof. No big deal ,that's easy. It's an extra that he's happy about.

Start building the upper floor area and he asks if we can go up a bit higher than 4/12 for headroom. It'll be about 5ish ft now so I ask why he needs headroom in a storage space. " Oh, I wanna throw a bed up there for guests sometimes." I tell him that living spaces require a lot more, well..... everything, and my bid does not include making a loft for him. "It's not a living space, just a few beds and people sleeping. Maybe a bathroom".

Ffs, and you can bet he doesn't "understand " why that's any different than what he asked. I took the job as a favor to a guy that's worked with me forever, I really gotta stop doing that ....

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
5/27/24 1:25 p.m.

No good deed goes unpunished.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/27/24 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

"I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but that's way outside budget on this job."

Mission creep when it's your own mission is bad enough. When someone else keeps moving the goalposts on you, it's intensely frustrating.

At the risk of piling on, I have a tiny garage loft project that never got off the ground for various reasons including lack of certainty over the design. Might start a thread later if you're inclined to weigh in.

Totally unrelated and much more minor rant: ice cream sandwiches seem a lot smaller than they used to be.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/27/24 2:38 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

In reply to Antihero :

"I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but that's way outside budget on this job."

Mission creep when it's your own mission is bad enough. When someone else keeps moving the goalposts on you, it's intensely frustrating.

At the risk of piling on, I have a tiny garage loft project that never got off the ground for various reasons including lack of certainty over the design. Might start a thread later if you're inclined to weigh in.

Totally unrelated and much more minor rant: ice cream sandwiches seem a lot smaller than they used to be.

Essentially I'm telling him that, I'm not sure if it's malicious or he's just an idiot but it's still annoying as all hell.

Specifically annoying because I knew what his budget was and got him a good balance of money and wants. The wants seem to keep growing.

I'll chime in on your thread when you start it too

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/27/24 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

There are two ways to handle that.

Sure we can do that, this is how much it will cost.

No, I'm sorry, that's not the job we decided on.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/27/24 4:05 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

That describes almost every project car I ever worked on for other people.  Usually meant having to redo work already billed and paid for.

I wore my Interstellar Sledgehammer shirt as me and the GF explored Roswell, NM again today and nobody asked me about it sad.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/27/24 6:20 p.m.
Antihero said:

I'll chime in on your thread when you start it too

Much appreciated.  It's this garbage right here.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/27/24 6:39 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Savages!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/27/24 6:40 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to Antihero :

There are two ways to handle that.

Sure we can do that, this is how much it will cost.

No, I'm sorry, that's not the job we decided on.

Exactly.

It's not the billing etc that annoys me, it's the changes and lurching about that annoys me. Yes, he's billed hourly for it, but I'd rather not be doing it and moving on to the other stuff I need to get to 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/27/24 6:41 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I wore my Interstellar Sledgehammer shirt as me and the GF explored Roswell, NM again today and nobody asked me about it sad.

Obviously they did not possess your impeccable taste in music, the heathens!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/27/24 7:10 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Savages!

That's hilarious, I didn't see this before I posted mine lol

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/28/24 1:51 a.m.

Ever get a sudden pain in your chest and feel like "WHOA is that a heart attack!?" and then you're relieved when it isn't? My life has now become so E36 M3ty that my reaction is "Meh, I'm fine with whatever happens." There is a pleasure in the calm indifference.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WBvOtwU5RMlHR16nqmhM8Kh7NFJ5uzAX24oAtFmqvijgFHkv75ILnt3GeZELd20x