Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/5/24 12:20 p.m.

A few weeks ago I had to replace our garbage disposal after the old one finally died. I was relatively easy since I bought the updated version of the same model, so all I had to do was transfer the wiring and swap them out. 

Unfortunately it seems that I didn't get the flange between the disposal and sink seated quite properly because as I was running the water for a good while this morning I saw a HUGE puddle of water at my feet and traced it back to coming from the top of the disposal. So I had to spent half an hour (in the middle of the workday) cleaning up the water and contorting myself under the sink to get it adjusted so it wouldn't leak.

EDIT: *sigh* And it apparently is still not sealing properly... so I'm going to have to just pull the whole disposal out after work and see if I can figure out the problem.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
6/5/24 3:51 p.m.

This is now $279.48 worth of groceries, apparently. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/5/24 4:03 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I posted something about that a while back.

I made a very rare appearance in the grocery store this morning to get a few things. The woman in front of me had what looked like a normal amount of groceries for a small family. It came to $370. Once she was gone I asked the cashier if that was normal. She said yes, then told me about a woman this morning with a couple of kids who opted for all the fancy organic stuff, and her bill was $700.

Ouch.

volvoclearinghouse
6/5/24 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

A good chunk of what's in those bags is organic, or at the very least minimally processed.  So I guess it could be worse. I do pretty much the same grocery run every week, for our family of 4. Back before the stupid times, that would have been less than a $200 basket of food. And, there wasn't a single piece of fruit in there (our berry bushes are putting out right now, so we have way more fruit than we can eat at present) nor any eggs (as we have chickens) and the only meat is some chicken thighs, ground turkey, and turkey lunch meat. 

Yeah, food is a berkeleying disaster. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/5/24 8:11 p.m.

No one on the planet cares less about doing their job than a cop looking into a property crime.  As others have said, they're revenuers above all else.

I was a kid and my dad and uncle had soda routes. One afternoon my uncle's truck got stolen. There was a group going around so he and my dad had an idea where to look for it. They found it and called the cops. PD's  advice was to contact the insurance company and consider it lost.  If they really wanted to they could wait until it was empty and see where they dump it but if things went bad PD may not come to help because they have a lot to do. 

Twenty or so years later, I impounded a car for the towing company I worked at. Unloaded the car, locked the car and truck in the yard. The next morning both are gone. Cops come out, take a report. This time cops take a slight interest because my boss spends a lot of money in the community. Find out the car's owner flips a lot of Maximas. They want to talk to him because they deduce he may have stolen his car back to rebuild one of the many others the see at his property.  Once the find he's related to a detective he's clear. My boss mistakenly questioned this, and they pick me up for stealing the truck and car.  The detectives spend a copy hours giving me scenarios and motives that I could agree to so we can all go home.  Being an shiny happy person I just keep asking to be charged or let go until my boss's lawyer shows up to get me out.  

I move upstate and my house gets broken into. They take a bunch of my Lionel trains and Jodi's jewelry box. Local sheriff takes a report. A couple weeks later Jodi sees my train on Craigslist at a pawn shop. We call the sheriff back thinking they'd be interested. They weren't, that apparently only happens on tv. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/5/24 10:10 p.m.

ACVWs are up to where 911s were ten years ago.

Some ACVWs are up to where 911s are NOW.

Every time I drive one I realize how crappy they are.  But they look cool!

This is what my hotel room is like right now. The a/c runs almost constantly because I have it set to 70°F. If not, it turns into a swamp in here. You can feel the warm moist air pouring in through the a/c unit when it's not running.

The bedding and carpet are damp to the touch. This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/5/24 10:12 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I don't know where you are, but yesterday I had to turn the heat on in my car because the windshield was fogging up. On the outside.

Turning the A/C to defrost just made it worse, of course.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I'm in the panhandle of Florida this week. Destin area.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/5/24 10:17 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Once I traveled late to an early morning meeting in Detroit and I figured I'm in the hotel room for 8-9 hours tops so I try to save the company money by staying in a Motel 6 in Jackson, Michigan.

How bad can it be I tell myself?  I quickly found out.....

volvoclearinghouse
6/6/24 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Yeah, berk that.  I don't stay in anything besides Marriott properties.  The company wants me to travel, I'll stay where I'm safe, can get a good night's sleep and be productive the following day.  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
6/6/24 9:42 a.m.

We usually stay at Hampton Inn. 

10 years ago, we booked a Motel 6 for 2 nights at an out-of-town 2-day autocross. It was in Florence, SC on a Darlington NASCAR race weekend and the Motel 6 was the only place that had a room. How bad could it be?

Turns out it could be pretty bad. It ended up being across the interstate from the local dump and the prevailing wind brought that lovely aroma straight into the room. Add to that the beds were hard as plywood and the cleanliness was questionable at best. About 2:30 am the first night, I told my wife that I didn't care what it cost, we weren't staying for night 2. We ended up in a $350/night suite at a fancy inn in downtown Darlington. It was worth every penny. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/6/24 9:54 a.m.

TesterWife has food a food allergy, and we try to eat healthy. Yeah. It's not cheap. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/6/24 10:03 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

This is what my hotel room is like right now. The a/c runs almost constantly because I have it set to 70°F. If not, it turns into a swamp in here. You can feel the warm moist air pouring in through the a/c unit when it's not running.

The bedding and carpet are damp to the touch. This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at.

I mean, that's Florida's fault, not the hotel's, isn't it?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/6/24 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Basic weather sealing is effective regardless of state. Outside air shouldn't be pouring in through his a/c unit.

volvoclearinghouse
6/6/24 11:02 a.m.

This meeting went from being confusing to contentious. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
6/6/24 12:49 p.m.

The grass in my yard and around the house is growing at a rate of 5 to 1 compared to the grass in the field for the horses. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/6/24 2:00 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

TesterWife has food a food allergy, and we try to eat healthy. Yeah. It's not cheap. 

SaxyHero is gluten free so yeah....I feel your pain.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/6/24 2:25 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Yeah, berk that.  I don't stay in anything besides Marriott properties.  The company wants me to travel, I'll stay where I'm safe, can get a good night's sleep and be productive the following day.  

When it's more than a night, I'll stay in an AirBnb these days.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/6/24 2:37 p.m.
tuna55 said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

When it's more than a night, I'll stay in an AirBnb these days.

That's our default choice these days, especially since if we're driving there's a 95% chance that we'll be bringing The Bat, and it's far easier to find AirBnB's that allow modest-sized dogs like her than hotels.

I'm not impressed with this hotel at all. The room stinks like burning crayons, there is the aforementioned climate control issue, the TV has just basic cable with no streaming capability and it has gone out at least 15 times this week, the wifi is completely unstable and therefore unusable. I couldn't do my time card for 3 days because it was so unstable that my corporate VPN couldn't connect. They are charging me $15 PER DAY for parking in their crowded parking lot. I still have to walk about 300' to the only entrance. Their "buffet style" breakfast is $16. It's a crappy continental breakfast and nothing more. I ate it once.

When I get back, I'm going to tell the corporate travel coordinator not to use this place as it's terrible. I expect this level of crappiness from a Motel 6, not a $350 per night (plus parking!) Hilton.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/6/24 5:57 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

When I get back, I'm going to tell the corporate travel coordinator not to use this place as it's terrible. I expect this level of crappiness from a Motel 6, not a $350 per night (plus parking!) Hilton.

Holy E36 M3 that's horrendous! I've stayed in $100~$150 per night motels that have none of those issues.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Same. Just two weeks ago I stayed in a TownePlace Suites that was $120 a night which was multitudes better that this place.

None of the furniture was rusty either.

Wanna guess what the additional notifications are for? I'm taking my Sec+ exam tomorrow and I'm trying to study and take practice tests. Kinda hard to do when the VPN on your company laptop disconnects every 90 seconds because the network is so E36 M3ty.

I'm about to burn this hotel to the ground.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
6/7/24 11:16 a.m.

So the pet scan machine lives at the hospital, but they have to bring in dye doses individually as needed? What kind of brainless ducking executive came up with that bullE36 M3? 

I'm not going to get any more polite the longer you make me wait without breakfast, so hurry the berkeley up and get your dipE36 M3 driver over here with my dye.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YVCTqhnuryveb2vj2thrtApL3c4JmBxl4wYU44joxFs6ivL3DXXBbrIheMmNUVjs