There is no way this heater hose was put on with the engine in the car angry

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/10/24 7:30 p.m.

Apparently my dad has COVID

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/10/24 8:03 p.m.

Mrs. VCH has an eye Dr. Appt today, the optometrist prescribes her some special drops to use. She sends in the prescription to the CVS, and tells her it'll be ready in about 30 minutes.   She has some other errands to run, so she does those first, then heads to the CVS 2 hours later....

...waits in line for 15 minutes, goes up to the counter, and the pharmacist says "oh, we don't have it ready yet, but stand over there, and when we have it ready, we'll call your name so you don't have to wait in line again".  So Mrs. VCH stands there, with the two little VCHs, waiting. 

Eventually they call her name, but as she's heading up to the counter a very angry old woman cuts her off, yelling at her to "wait in line like everybody else", and complaining that it was her turn. Being really nasty. Mrs. VCH explains that they told her to come up and pick up her drops, but the lady is having none of it and shoves her way to the counter. Fortunately, the one next to her opens up a minute later, so she was able to pick up her prescription and GTFO of there. 

Of course, the children pick up on the hostility and start acting like little brats for the the of the day, and Mrs. VCH, who tends to internalize things, is stressed out and miserable the rest of the day until I finally get her to sit down and she tells me what happened. 

Remember: a crappy attitude can literally ruin someone else's day. 

Kindness costs you nothing, and pays dividends to everybody you meet. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/10/24 9:42 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

As we all know, the proper response is something like, "I've been here half an hour, you hateful old bitch, and they called me up.  Settle back and wait your turn."

But, that's not what we do in polite society, is it?

volvoclearinghouse
10/11/24 7:44 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

As we all know, the proper response is something like, "I've been here half an hour, you hateful old bitch, and they called me up.  Settle back and wait your turn."

In a polite society, there are certain people who we tend to give a bit more deference to. One of those types of people is a mother out by herself with a couple of small children in tow. I will hold doors for them, give up my place in line, and apologize if one of the kids dances in front of me and I almost bump into them.  I know what those moms are going through and my goal is to make their day as easy as possible so they can get home. And not be the reason they have to lie down on the bed and take a couple of Advil. 

I'm sure that old lady was having a bad day herself, but dang ma'am, don't spread it around like cow feces. 

Tangentially related, we rarely go into drug stores, and Mrs. VCH commented on how mind-bogglingly full the prescription pick up area was. It's like half the town is on some sort of drug or another. Absolutely nuts. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/11/24 8:24 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In a polite society, there are certain people who we tend to give a bit more deference to. One of those types of people is a mother out by herself with a couple of small children in tow. I will hold doors for them, give up my place in line, and apologize if one of the kids dances in front of me and I almost bump into them.  I know what those moms are going through and my goal is to make their day as easy as possible so they can get home. And not be the reason they have to lie down on the bed and take a couple of Advil. 

I'm sure that old lady was having a bad day herself, but dang ma'am, don't spread it around like cow feces. 

Tangentially related, we rarely go into drug stores, and Mrs. VCH commented on how mind-bogglingly full the prescription pick up area was. It's like half the town is on some sort of drug or another. Absolutely nuts. 

The tendency for people to be polite to shiny happy people is why we have so many shiny happy people. As I get older I have less interest in dealing with them and I'll call them on it to their faces. berkeley those people.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/24 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I'm doing my part to help shiny happy people become more aware of themselves. It's practically a full time job some days. 

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
10/11/24 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

as a fellow believer that SHP will be SHP as long as they get away with it without real confrontation, I salute your public service sir

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/11/24 11:10 a.m.

For four years, GM has been talking about how the Ultium battery pack was the future of their EVs, because it was scaleable to any size and purpose of vehicle, and hyping it to no end. Now we've had mainstream Ultium platform vehicles for about a year, and GM announced this week that moving forward they are dropping the Ultium name and not all future EVs are going to use that battery design, because they want to tailor battery designs to the individual vehicle and partner with brands other than LG for different battery designs and chemistry. For Christ's sake , GM, could you stick to a plan for once in your life. It feels like the inmates are running the asylum at this brand.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/11/24 1:40 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Corporate policies swing back and forth just like hemlines go up and down in fashion, and for just about as much reason.

At DW's former employer, they would pendulum back and forth between "Subcontracting everything is most cost-effective" at one end and "Why are we spending all this money on subcontractors?  We should have employees do this!" on the other.  At her lab they went back and forth like clockwork about every 3-4 years for decades.

In the corporate world, no 5-year plan is ever completed before being rejected in favor of the opposite plan, which was previously dismissed because reasons.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
10/11/24 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

by any chance did those changes coincide with leadership changes? I often think people that don't really have any better ideas feel like they have to go 180deg from current practices.

Like NFL teams, constantly changing coaches. One guy brings in a ping pong table to build camaraderie, the next guy thinks they aren't serious enough and takes away the ping pong table. Then the next guy thinks they need a ping pong table again...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/11/24 2:39 p.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

Oh, yeah, that absolutely happens.  I've experienced it many times.

In this particular case, sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It didn't always correlate.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/11/24 3:46 p.m.

Extremely minor rant:  R.I.P. my 24 Hours of Lemons t-shirt. Tore it while removing it today.  At least it made it 15 years.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/11/24 4:35 p.m.

Might I suggest not treating women like idiots if you want to sell to them. 

My daughter just had a sales guy tell her that her roof was older than her house and it should be replaced. 

WTF?

She asked him how that worked since the house was under the roof and the roof was fastened to it.

He mumbled something and informed it it would be leaking soon and would ruin the house. 

He apparently got a little miffed when she told him it was a 25 year roof that was only 9 years old. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/24 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

That sounds like Soviet Russia.  I've delved into Soviet era Aircraft OKBs, and it literally sounds exactly what someone like Sergey Ilyushin or Alexander Polykarpov had to endure .

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/11/24 8:33 p.m.

Feckless balless E36 M3 stain used car sellers. Holy forking shirt balls.

For the love of god stop lying. Of course I am sending out an inspector on a massively expensive car. Yes of course we are going to check that the VINS are not altered on a vintage car where the engine code is a good chunk of the value. What do you think is going to happen that it would just sell. 

Of course we are not buying the car even at.a discount and yes I want the money I spent on an inspector to double check your stupid bullE36 M3 back. 

I spent hours getting all the paperwork and checks together on my side to meet your stupid timelines. God I hate people sometimes. 

average_bear
average_bear New Reader
10/12/24 12:06 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

If it makes you feel any better the cheapest used car sellers aren't any better. I'm just seeing outright lies. You can't call a car reliable if it has an interference engine and the timing belt has been on for 11 years and 170,000 miles (among the 12 or so other issues present). That's a time bomb

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/12/24 10:42 a.m.
average_bear said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

If it makes you feel any better the cheapest used car sellers aren't any better. I'm just seeing outright lies. You can't call a car reliable if it has an interference engine and the timing belt has been on for 11 years and 170,000 miles (among the 12 or so other issues present). That's a time bomb

I know it is even worse there. I help friends get cheaper cars all the time. Most listen though and spend a bit more and have a tiny payment and get a Toyota that I have personally checked over. 

On this one I should have known better. When I find a deal and the seller wants to move crazy fast I always find a problem. This one was on the edge of low priced and had good photos and a honest reason for sale so I pushed harder then I should have. 

Worst of all is I had another car I was after with a similar issue that was found by the private seller after we had the deal done in every way put pickup. He backed out of the deal and took responsibility and is dealing with rhe DMV to get everything corrected. Dude was stand up. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/12/24 8:07 p.m.

Today I decided to clean up the garage a bit. There are still about 8-9 plastic storage totes in the middle of the garage floor that need somewhere to live. I still had one more shelving unit to put together. I measured the height of the plastic storage tubs so I knew how to space the shelves so they would fit. I got the storage shelves assembled and some other stuff organized. Then I went to put the totes on the shelves.

The totes won't fit on the shelves.

I installed the shelf brackets ONE hole off.

Bad words were said. The totes are still in the middle of the garage floor.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/12/24 10:43 p.m.

There's a file that I want to reference, that I never saved to disk, and the website that the file is from is no longer in existence, but archive.org had saved it....

...and you see where I am going with this.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/13/24 12:08 a.m.

Auctions...

I know it's my responsibility to load the item but...

When your representative said there would be a telehandler present to put two sheds on a trailer and now it's not here because you broke it...

That's a "you" problem,  not a "me" problem.

When you learned it was broken, you should have called a rental company, not waited until I got there so I could do your thinking for you. 

F--- you and your useless sales rep.

volvoclearinghouse
10/13/24 8:40 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to NickD :

Corporate policies swing back and forth just like hemlines go up and down in fashion, and for just about as much reason.

At DW's former employer, they would pendulum back and forth between "Subcontracting everything is most cost-effective" at one end and "Why are we spending all this money on subcontractors?  We should have employees do this!" on the other.  At her lab they went back and forth like clockwork about every 3-4 years for decades.

In the corporate world, no 5-year plan is ever completed before being rejected in favor of the opposite plan, which was previously dismissed because reasons.

This absolutely happens where I work. It seems like every 3-5 years the management system changes.  I feel like the most likely reason is that some VP went to some conference somewhere and got a really nice swag bag from some vendor, so now we're switching everything over to their platform, costing us millions, because -they- got a really sweet new notebook and coffee mug. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/13/24 9:58 a.m.

It's really spectacular when multiple systems are integrated, and they replace a software package... "to save on updates". 

Did you know that GM fits 22" steel wheels on high trim level trucks for transport?

I thought it would be fun to find a set to run on my Tahoe PPV. It would still be "police spec" but with giant steelies.

Except people are smoking crack for what they want for them:

That's like 200% more than you can buy the actual 22" premium wheels for!

In contrast, I can buy these, brand new for $139 a wheel:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o9cfRE5L2f5RcPxxWgmL8sxpx1fmpNIXeLMfccjObGaBFl05FYupk5suGKwuNNNT