TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/15/20 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Beauty.

What was the story?  Bad repair that came into your shop and needed re-repair?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/15/20 11:01 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

It's a vacuum tumbler for meat processing, located in the factory I work at.  My predecessor botched the welds good and proper, which resulted in the crack reappearing. The drum diameter is about 6'. So, grind, clean, prep, grind some more, weld. Then do the inside.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/15/20 3:20 p.m.

I'm out in Pennsylvania meeting some friends running a dirt modified. While I wait for them to get here I've watched a bunch of real old cars come in. I can't believe I never heard of this place, I could come after work every week. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
8/18/20 9:47 p.m.

The Man Show is on YouTube!!! 

Back when Jimmy Kimmel was funny.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/19/20 2:00 p.m.

I am in such a better place this week. Can't share details (because my stalker is ALWAYS watching) but damn, I good.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/19/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It is really good to see you posting in this thread. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/19/20 6:03 p.m.

Made "Say What?" for the second time evar.

Magazine came in on the day (today) I was shopping 3rd gen Honda Fits because teh Volvo was pissing me off again.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/20/20 11:43 a.m.

My Kia's battery died because I'm a lazy idiot and kept forgetting to start the car. I couldn't get in to open the hood to get to the battery since I discovered the ignition key doesn't work in the door lock.

I contacted a local dude who was very well reviewed who does auto unlocks for a $50 flat rate. It took like 2 weeks since I'm a bit out of the way and my work schedule sucks.

I was finally able to have him come out. It took him about 30 seconds to pop the door open. I noticed his work van was a 2015 Transit Connect. I have literally a Berk ton of parts since I used to own a 2015 Transit Connect. 

Since these parts were just sitting around, I just gave them to him. He was super grateful and offered to trade the parts in lieu of payment. I told him that I was still going to pay him but he refused my money.

He ended up with about $300 in new parts (full case of Mercon LV, Sonax Zip Kit, Ford FSM, 6F35 rebuild manual, new plugs, new trans cooler with thermo valve, some front strut parts) plus an Adrian Steel cabinet/rack thing that was taking up garage space.

I was more than happy to just give him all that stuff since it's worthless to me and I did not feel like spending the time/effort/frustration to sell it.

It was a win-win-win situation. I got my car unlocked, he got a bunch of van parts and I cleared out some garage space. Plus I'm always looking to support small businesses. His is a one man show and he was an awesome guy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/20/20 12:11 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Made "Say What?" for the second time evar.

I think I've been in maybe 3 times but its been quite the dry spell for me lately.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/20/20 1:48 p.m.

Welding stainless steel correctly results in a great deal of satisfaction for me. Getting paid for it is nice, but with colors like this, I'd do it for free...

8/20/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Root pass / final pass on that?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/20/20 8:15 p.m.

Nah, just some stitch welds holding a stiffening rod to a stainless sheet metal chute. The other side got seam welded and polished.

8/20/20 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Oh, I see it now.  Looked like another crack-repair.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/20/20 10:20 p.m.

Thankfully, no. Working in food processing, you are never really sure what kind of junk is in the metal. Some of the cleaning and sanitizing chemicals they use can contaminate the metal to the point that it's irreparable.

ETA: even when I am fabbing  new stuff, I tend to dig through our healthy pile of scrap for raw materials  rather than using all the new stuff. That's why the 1/2" rod stock looks a bit "used". 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/20/20 10:43 p.m.

I was able to get a couple comp days this week so I'm going racing Friday and Saturday nights without having to get up at 2am. I forgot how much fun this was. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/22/20 5:39 p.m.

I know some GRMers have been anticipating this.

On April 27 2019, Youtube user Montemayor uploaded "part 1 of 2" of the Battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective.

We've been waiting for Part 2.

On August 11 2020, part 2 of 3 and part 3 of 3 were uploaded.

No time to watch tonight but definitely will soon.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/22/20 6:46 p.m.

Was cleaning up my packrat corner of the living room, came across a couple things I forgot I had ordered.

Looks like I get to rebuild my fancy aluminum 3 ton jack now.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/22/20 9:05 p.m.

Miata threw an alternator belt on the last run of the day at today's autocross.  Why is that a win?  1. Five minutes later and it would have happened along the side of US 131.  2. Two of my "racing buddies" stayed and helped me wrestle the belt/pulley system into submission.  Autox peeps is good peeps.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/20 8:43 a.m.

I've solved my insulin supply problem for the foreseeable future. Good karma has repaid me in full. There are still good people out there. 

All of you who offered help, money, or searching for me, it won't be forgotten. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/23/20 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Good news. Did you find anything on insurance for you and the fam?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/20 12:51 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Haven't had a chance yet, but answers should be coming on Wednesday. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/23/20 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Damn good to hear!

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/23/20 11:16 p.m.

so I only finished 5th today in the Zoomboni, but the competion was stiff and I have virtually no seat time in it.

0.4 seconds off FTD in 4 runs before getting rained out.

But it held up to being co-driven by my son and I.  The alternator is now charging the battery.  And it runs pretty darn well.

Twitchy AF however.   Man this beast is a handful to drive.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/23/20 11:37 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I was able to get a couple comp days this week so I'm going racing Friday and Saturday nights without having to get up at 2am. I forgot how much fun this was. 

The weekend went to E36 M3, I haven't worked so hard in years, and I loved every minute of it.  Friday night I met them at Big Diamond Speedway in Pennsylvania.  It was a trek but it's a really nice track. The car ran well but we got run into hard when everyone stopped for a spin except one car. The rearend housing snapped in half and we were pushed under the car ahead of us shearing off a coilover mount. It took over an hour of work to tie the car together enough for a wrecker to get it into the trailer. Instead of getting a room there we went three hours back to the shop in NY to get a couple, maybe three hours of sleep then rebuild the car and take it back to Grandview Speedway. He's run good there the past two weeks, starting last due to their handicapping system and making the top ten both times. Unfortunately we missed an issue with the right rear shock mount so he only made it to 18th this week. On the plus side it was his third week there so he no longer has to start in the back.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/20 12:54 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

That car berkeleyin rules!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
64ybuLMbYCoGMXoI5tGxr9mGaHFSRpBamMvovTWEBTyL73feSxZaqyKn3W6U1FfW