barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
10/22/23 1:26 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I have man hands. Sanding and wrenching and washing dishes and working with my hands at work makes them dry cracked and flaking. It's awful. 

I tried every man oriented moisturizing lotion sold. Specialty pharmacies and mail order too. 

The answer is 400 grit sandpaper. Silky smooth. 

The manly-man's moisturizer: sandpaper. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/22/23 2:42 p.m.

Gorgeous day! Just got back from a spin in the Triumph. My front yard:

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/22/23 3:57 p.m.

My youngest cousin Olivia (who's a solid 20 years younger than me, but we somehow get along extremely well) had texted me a while back indicating she was going to be in florida soon. I had done the math incorrectly and thought it was this past weekend. 

Turns out, she'll be in town the weekend of my birthday. And she might have known that the entire time. As much as i am absolutely abhorrent of any and all birthday celebrations (especially in light of some other things happening this week that are REALLY berkeleying up my program) i'm a bit flattered. 

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
10/24/23 3:12 p.m.

Yesterday I was driving home and noticed the next door dogs were wandering around the front yard many houses away. I managed to persuade one to follow me home and told the neighbor where the other dog was located.

Neighbor lady just called to say "Come out front, I have a surprise for you!"

Went around front and received a quart of locally produced peanut butter ice cream. Sweeeet! (literally)

preach
preach UltraDork
10/24/23 3:29 p.m.

Today I thought that my 16yo cat buddy, Maynard James Katso, was going to be put down.  He's really not been doing great for the last week or so.

Turns out he may have a treatable chronic kidney problem and has a good chance of coming back into a comfortable life. The next few days will tell I guess.

Not sure a chronic kidney disease is a win, but I hope to see and hold him again when I get home on Thursday so that sure is.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/24/23 3:38 p.m.

In reply to preach :

That's excellent news!

We kept our kidney failure cat going great for at least 5 more happy years, with supplements and subcutaneous fluids. She eventually died of other causes, about a month shy of her 20th birthday. So it can definitely be done!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/24/23 3:43 p.m.
preach said:

Today I thought that my 16yo cat buddy, Maynard James Katso, was going to be put down.  He's really not been doing great for the last week or so.

Turns out he may have a treatable chronic kidney problem and has a good chance of coming back into a comfortable life. The next few days will tell I guess.

Not sure a chronic kidney disease is a win, but I hope to see and hold him again when I get home on Thursday so that sure is.

It never feels good when your cat is The Patient. At least you don't have to wait 10,000 days to get a diagnosis. Do you think the kidney problem might have stemmed from ticks & leeches? This could be a great time for Reflection, really asses your own Disposition.

preach
preach UltraDork
10/24/23 3:46 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I see what you did there. :highfive:

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
10/24/23 6:07 p.m.

Got my shop space roof patched on Saturday ahead of the snow today. It *should* hopefully hold for a few years and I can use that time to plan and decide on the location to put a better sorted garage shop space closer to the house. 

I no longer have dreams of 20' ceilings and 1000 square feet of space. I just want well lit, well powered, well insulated and slightly larger than 2 car garage with enough height I can fit my truck inside and not worry about jacking it up and hitting the ceiling (All of which the current space does not do well in any form)

wae
wae PowerDork
10/26/23 8:08 a.m.

Last night my daughter took me to a cruise-in at a little dairy hut place not far from the house.  Apparently she was driving by one day about a month ago, saw all the cars there, and dove in to check it out.  When she got home she told me she had a surprise for me and took me out there the following week and when we pulled in, the lot was empty and ti turned out they had canceled the cruise-in that day because of a chance of rain.  We hadn't been able to align the family calendar correctly until last night, but we finally made it!

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/26/23 8:48 a.m.

So I plastered my new tool cart with stickers. $3000 last week and now it looks like $30.  It's the little things in life that make me smile.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SyUvTf7cs81315D4A

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/26/23 8:56 a.m.

I finally found someone who wanted a job. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/26/23 1:18 p.m.

While changing the oil in the Ford Ranger yesterday, I noticed that one of my nearly new KYB front shocks was leaking. I logged in to my account at Summit, explained what happened and had a replacement on the way in about 15 mins. No muss no fuss.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
10/26/23 11:28 p.m.

1. Last night's Assetto Corsa race was fun and, for once, really rewarding. I was finally able to string together enough clean laps to avoid sabotaging my performance or sending someone else off onto Marlboro Country. It felt good.

2. Although changing them out was a moderate pain, I got new 65W (H7) low-beam bulbs into the 5 after work. This is the first car I've had with projectors, and from what little I could tell on the drive home from our outing, these seem pretty darn decent.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/28/23 8:35 p.m.

It snowed a bit last night.  This morning I installed $390 worth of Sailun winter tires all around my awd V50. 

There is a great deal of pleasure derived from full throttle grip on snow with brand new room temperature snow tires as you leave the shop the first time.

If you need cheap tires, and don't mind Chinese product, Sailun builds a pretty good tire.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/29/23 12:45 a.m.

Got my custom string set for the new Baritone/Bass VI and it's perfect, even though I was told it wasn't gonna work.

Also as a rant "custom" means custom, not sort of custom dammit

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/29/23 6:13 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I put those on my Forté, they were excellent.  There's a lot of misinformation and general BS about Chinese tires. Some are good. Some are not. I'll review the ones I bought when we get some snow. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/29/23 9:46 a.m.

Got my fenders rolled and pulled, tires don't hit anymore at parking lot speeds.  

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/29/23 1:20 p.m.

I have been looking for some used wheels for my 95 Miata and scored a set of 15 inch NB wheels from a fellow Miata club member for $80.  Complete with center caps and lug nuts!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/29/23 1:50 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

It snowed a bit last night.  This morning I installed $390 worth of Sailun winter tires all around my awd V50. 

There is a great deal of pleasure derived from full throttle grip on snow with brand new room temperature snow tires as you leave the shop the first time.

If you need cheap tires, and don't mind Chinese product, Sailun builds a pretty good tire.

It feels unfair, doesn't it?

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/30/23 5:05 p.m.

YouTube blocked me for using an ad blocker. I found a workaround piece of code in less than 20 minutes. Now I can watch YouTube without ads again.

Getting time to build that Pi-hole I guess.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/30/23 5:15 p.m.
slefain said:

YouTube blocked me for using an ad blocker. I found a workaround piece of code in less than 20 minutes. Now I can watch YouTube without ads again.

Getting time to build that Pi-hole I guess.

Is there a step-by-step easy enough for a fifth grader tutorial on what to buy and how to set up a pi-hole anywhere?

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
10/30/23 5:38 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I would subscribe to that thread.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/30/23 6:02 p.m.

I have apparently pulled an unprecedented stunt within my family. 

I took my cousin Olivia to WDW over the weekend. I texted her dad (my uncle) a pic of her at Hollywood studios with a lightsaber and joked I gave her a bunch of sugar and a lightsaber and now she's his problem (she's 23). 

He's going to be down here in February and has expressed interest in going, with us, and making sure she goes along, again. He HATES crowds. I think the fact that I managed to take his kid to disney before he did worked him a little bit, and now I get to use that against him- and that's REALLY funny to me. Best part is, it costs me NOTHING to do. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/30/23 6:44 p.m.

im starting to get happybwith this paitjob.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0hcGXDy2v1wstMOpJY1P1Ddo3FS2fxD9DW7M6KEtkghzU78c8ZNQ38mZ0u1aaPSy