RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
6/11/24 1:00 p.m.

My boss's boss just pushed my presentation that was scheduled for tomorrow morning out a week...I didn't feel ready, what a relief.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/11/24 1:35 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Do they make a rocker version? The ones we got for our cabin that have been out in the elements for the last 4 years are starting to fall apart- they were supposed to be good to be outside in the weather but have broken in a few places already (though they're still usable), and having some inexpensive replacements might be good (I forget how much the current ones cost, MIL got them for us as a present).

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
6/12/24 1:18 a.m.

Man, used to be when you got a new phone it was hours of transferring contacts. I took deliver of an iPhone 14 today to replace my aging and decrepit 11. A couple passwords and a QR later, and all my data is moved over. All my apps are in the right places, all my music is correct. WiFi, Prime, BT connections, cell service... sometimes tech is pretty slick. Just need to run out tomorrow and get a case and screen protector. Not bad. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
6/12/24 2:34 a.m.

There was exactly one dose of cough suppressant left in the bottle. I think it just hit. I think I just felt it hit. With an awful lot of luck, we just went from a night of relentless misery to a decent night's sleep.

Like most minor wins, this is a minor rant wrapped in a spiderweb-thin sheet of hope and forced gratitude, but it's what I have right now.

Come on, dextromethorphan. You can do this...

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
6/12/24 7:09 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Well-- it's like 5 hours later and the dose should be wearing off now- did you get any relief??

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
6/12/24 7:14 a.m.

Cleaning up from doing a brake job and I finally got around to sorting and clearing out my tool bags last night.
I don't have a garage so every tool I use has to come up the low basement stairs via yours truly and these two hands. Including the 3 ton floor jack. And the jack stands, the wheel chock, the creeper on rare occasions.
i've been contemplating a better way to do all that, maybe a stackable, system with wheels and then drop a plywood ramp on the basement stairs, I haven't really gotten very far yet though. But last night I made some real progress in that I pulled out every single standard socket and wrench and some of my redundant screwdrivers, rare bit sets (inverse torx bits, 6+mm allens, etc). So that will save some weight.

Another big hassle when I go to get started is that I have to dump out half of the things onto the ground in order to find the tool I'm looking for, like wrenches or extensions.
I may have solved this one by putting everything nut and bolt related (socket sets, wrenches, extensions, ratchets) into one bag and then instead of having my second bag for the rarely used tools and redundant tools, I put all those in a toolbox in the basement and instead filled it with every other kind of tool (pliers, screwdrivers, hammer).

It still sucks to move all this crap, but maybe actually getting to work will go smoother. 

I counted with this last job and a standard procedure where the car is up in the air takes me five trips to the basement. That bit of knowledge may help overcome my reluctance to get started too, just knowing that it's not endless. 

1. Jack, jack stands
2. PPE (face shield, ear protection, gloves), 1/2" impact, 3/8 impact, 3/8 power ratchet, socket set
3. Tool bags
4. Jack lift bar, chock
5. Box of screwdrivers and misc sockets (now part of tool bags or condemned to grandpa's old tool box), chemicals (brake cleaner, anti-seize, penetrating lubricant)
6. Creeper (optional), other crap I forgot 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
6/12/24 10:33 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

A little, yeah. It wasn't a TKO, but it was enough to get some decent sleep.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/14/24 10:57 a.m.

I spent the morning yesterday laying out a trail section for the club's upcoming harescramble.  When I returned last night to finish it I saw some old trail and added that section in. The younger, more aggressive riders are going to love this. 

You can go right and around the tree, or straight and make time. 

I think I'll make up a sign, feeling lucky, punk?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/14/24 10:59 a.m.

A high school buddy was in town this week.  He contacted me and we had a nice lunch with a nice beer, outside on a nice day, overlooking the downtown Riverfront area.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/14/24 9:23 p.m.

Pulled the trigger on another 356 speedster replica. It's a very early deluxe cmc kit. 15k ish miles and single owner since new. 

A early cmc was my first kit car. So this one will be left in its relic state and not over restored. Keeping the mostly stock 1600 motor. Will put a 3.88 gear in it and door panels and new carpet and just going to use it as my daily and the car I lend out to friends who visit. Watched one of my old vintage speedsters sell for monster money and missed it. Had the cash to get it back but always felt bad leaving it out on the street when shopping. Every little scratch would kill me inside. 

Needs about twenty hours of work on the loft and maybe about 3-4k in parts to get it the way I want. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/14/24 9:23 p.m.

duplicate 

barefootcyborg5000
6/14/24 10:29 p.m.

Framed, sheathed and partially roofed. 

Looking like mid September. Can't wait. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
6/14/24 10:32 p.m.

Got tix to see the Eagles in the Las Vegas Sphere in October 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/14/24 10:45 p.m.

Went to a crappy car show tonight but I was impressed with a sharp looking 1959 Kellison kit car based upon Corvette pieces.  

This is almost a match and i was impressed.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/15/24 11:11 a.m.

The week in review, and it's been a busy one, would indicate that business is fantastic. So good that,

My cel provider didn't want mine, indicated it with a 15% increase, then laughable offer, and lost it.

The big used car dealership who everybody seems to love, especially my Son, a repeat customer, blew two slam dunk deals, wasted a bunch of our time, and lost his business forever

My new financial advisor couldn't answer a few simple questions satisfactorily, or send me what I asked for, and lost a significant account

The company I've shipped with for 25 years has caused me so many problems recently with damage, loss, and  inability to actually collect the  insurance I paid for. How did they address that situation? They no longer offer insurance. I no longer ship with them.

The local GM dealer, in what resembled a Fawlty Towers episode, lost a car, dropped the ball in every imaginable way, and attempted to appease me with trinkets. The possibility of a really good deal is the only reason we're still talking.

But on the bright side, I had a very close call, choking on a breakfast burrito with nobody in the house - it makes me gasp for air every time I think about it,  and I'm OK for another day of disappointment by local business.

Win - life is good!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/15/24 11:21 p.m.

The real win is that I have a place to rant and rave when life's minor annoyances get the better of me.

I tend to overreact to such things and it's therapeutic to type it out. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/16/24 10:14 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Framed, sheathed and partially roofed. 

Looking like mid September. Can't wait. 

berkeley yeah dude! I am super pumped for you and your family!

barefootcyborg5000
6/16/24 8:46 p.m.

Went fishing today. Win 1

kids were good on the drive. Win 2

Drive was amazing. The road up the mountain is one of the best I've ever been on. Win 3

The 5 is better than a minivan has any right. Especially being an auto. We've had it going on 5 years now, zero issues, zero hiccups. I love this Mazda. Zoom zoom

If yall happen to get to southern Utah, skip the lakes and the canyons. Go to Kolob resevoir. So good. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/16/24 8:48 p.m.

"Dad, I'm gonna start washing the cars every week."

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
6/17/24 11:26 a.m.

I spent the weekend replacing the AC compressor, condenser and expansion valve in my DD, an 05 Merc C230 Kompressor.  I bought the car very cheap from a friend of mine and have been living without AC for 2 years.  With the hot weather we are getting this week being cool is one win, the other is that I took a silencer out of the supercharger intake so now it sounds a bit better, my middle son says it sounds like a baby Hellcat now.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
6/17/24 11:55 a.m.

Hottest day of the year so far, and muggy too, but the $12 can of r134a is still going strong after a whole month!

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/17/24 12:45 p.m.

This weekend, my eldest daughter and I went up to Joe's Speedway in Adena, OH for a two-day OVR Rallycross event.  We left Friday night and stayed two nights in a little place called the Cadiz Motel.  Win #1 was that it was cheap and not bad.  Certainly not some amazing resort or anything, but it was a clean and quiet, albeit small, room with good AC and plenty of hot water. 

Win #2 is that the Neon performed great with only a couple minor issues that were rapidly fixed and didn't hold anything up. 

Win #3 is that I won the mod front class both days

Win #4 is the biggest win:  While she couldn't run the afternoon on Saturday because the heat made her a bit sick, on Sunday my daughter was putting in competitive times and showing some great improvement.  She's learning that the car can be pushed and she's learning good driving discipline.  At one point, she came into one corner too hot, got very wide on the exit, and was pointing straight at the next cone.  She sawed the wheel a little to get the car back on track and then got on the throttle and was lined up for the next corner.  At the last event, when she'd get out of sorts like that she would be overcompensating and then chasing the car for the rest of the run but now she's recovering and not trying to overdrive the car to "make up" for a mistake like that.

Win #5 might actually be a tie for biggest:  At one point while I was driving, we came around the big sweeper and right in front of me, I could see straight across the course where a worker was re-setting a cone.  I shouted "golly, I hit a majorly friendly cone" or something vaguely like that.  She immediately shouted back at me: "Forget it!  Focus on the turn!" and then she reminded me to not over-drive the car for the rest of the run.  My own words coming out of her mouth.  Humbling!  That was a proud papa moment right there.

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
6/17/24 12:57 p.m.

I passed both driving physicals with no problems.

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/17/24 3:28 p.m.

Okay, this is a weird one, but stick with me...  As I was unloading the car today, I sliced the hell out of my finger on a stupid bit of metal trim that came loose on the back of the Merc.  Bled like crazy and after 30 minutes of pressure, it was still gushing.  So I went to the urgent care to get it stitched up and I had the best damned time!  The doc was freaking hilarious and we were having the best time just joking back and forth and all that.  I'm not saying that I'd slice myself open again in order to go back, but it was actually the highlight of an otherwise pretty decent day.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/17/24 4:19 p.m.

Slept in our cabin as a family for the first time this weekend. The photos below are a year apart. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nwHUOUNrSKFfsiG6LCRYL54Q1pTJDXL3cxyaLyDBIVJsu91kkmPheOB25e7kM8o3