4 5 6 7 8
bluej
bluej UltraDork
8/21/17 1:16 p.m.

I pulled the lens out of my HF welding helmet, turned it up to 13, and have been using my phone camera to trigger the lens. The IR rangefinder/facefinder function triggers it consistently. Worth a shot if you don't have anything else.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/17 1:22 p.m.

My welding helmet has no problem triggering from the sun's light with the sensitivity turned up. Got some decent shots. We're at 87% here and I'm surprised how dark it didn't get. Great light for taking pictures of cars, though :)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/21/17 1:23 p.m.

My son texted me pictures of the eclipse this morning, he's in Oregon on a business trip. The goal is to visit wineries, sample the wares and report back to NYC; yes, he feels bad for the cubicle dwellers.

At 10:00am Oregon time he was having Chardonnay with fried chicken, waffles and sausage gravy. Moon Pie dessert.

Nice work when you can get it.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/21/17 1:23 p.m.
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/21/17 1:26 p.m.

Well. we just at 2:22EST passed the darkest point. felt like a light cloud cover

Karl La Follette
8/21/17 1:29 p.m.

Total Eclipse in Gainesville Florida Nasa site

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/21/17 1:30 p.m.

Nothing different here to report.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/21/17 1:31 p.m.

Used a HF welding helmet set to 13 and pointed up until I saw it go dark, then I stuck my head underneath it and squinted. I think we have 80% totality here.

Quality of light is spooky. Like someone messed with the contrast and saturation knobs.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/21/17 1:39 p.m.

Our eclipse has been awesome!!!

wae
wae Dork
8/21/17 1:40 p.m.

We have about 91% totality here. The light reminds me of when they used to film in daylight with a dark filter to do a nighttime scene. The insect activity got a little weird, too.

Karl La Follette
8/21/17 1:41 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Our eclipse has been awesome!!!

Tune in here for better view Eclipse racing across the US

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/21/17 1:48 p.m.

My harbor freight helmet just failed. My eyes hurt. Like getting flashed a few times in a row.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
8/21/17 1:48 p.m.

We just had our 2:30 of totality. It was pretty cool. Strange how quickly it transitioned to semi-darkness when that last bit of the sun was covered and back to light when the first part started to be uncovered again.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/21/17 1:51 p.m.

We had 99.8% totality in western North Carolina. It was really cool! I was amazed that just a sliver of sun around the moon and it was daylight. Only a few minutes before and after was it getting darker/lighter. It was dark for just over a minute, but not as dark as night.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
8/21/17 2:11 p.m.

Totality was amazing. I'm speechless.

Karl La Follette
8/21/17 2:11 p.m.
trucke wrote: We had 99.8% totality in western North Carolina. It was really cool! I was amazed that just a sliver of sun around the moon and it was daylight. Only a few minutes before and after was it getting darker/lighter. It was dark for just over a minute, but not as dark as night. Brotherinlawsaidnicedeal in hendersonville
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/21/17 2:12 p.m.

We had about 99% totality here. Things got rather dark but it didn't feel like nigthtime. I used a telescope to project the sun onto a paper plate - the result was quite visible but didn't have the sharp "horns" I had expected to see with that method.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/21/17 2:17 p.m.

Only a partial eclipse here (78%), it's already starting to get dark (or maybe I should say not so freaking bright). I'll have a look outside around peak time, I got my glasses.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/21/17 2:18 p.m.

We only got about 80% here. I watched it thru my welding helmet. Pretty cool... but it didn't get dark at all. If you didn't know it was happening you would not have noticed it other than to think a cloud passed in front of the sun.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
8/21/17 2:20 p.m.

I live in the Shawnee National Forest about 10 miles from the point designated as the point of greatest duration by NASA. I live off a rural interstate exit, it is the first time I ever saw a traffic jam at our exit. The eclipse was a neat experience,and the shadows were something to see.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/21/17 2:23 p.m.

There were quite a few clouds in the sky here - would've been better with a clear sky. The light was interesting.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/21/17 2:25 p.m.

That was freakin COOL!!!

We were in the creek with the girls. Crickets started chirping like crazy. Everything looked very "dreamy." My favorite thing was all the little "moon" shadows cast be the trees...and the moment we heard all the crickets go silent, and roosters start crowing.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/21/17 2:26 p.m.

The crescent moon shadows were super cool. We got 97% totality here; I was surprised that it felt like daytime even with so much much of the sun blocked. I have new respect for cloud cover.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/21/17 2:53 p.m.

Turned out to be too cloudy to see anything, 2nd time in a row I've had that problem

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/21/17 3:06 p.m.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2024 eclipse goes over a GRM member's compound.

I know we will be heading to NW Ohio, as this was really cool, at 85%. We did the colander thing- should have taken a picture. And I can't wait to talk to my parents- they were right in the path of totality in Idaho.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m5rXE7yf14zYrIzxMviJjwttKXoS7GHA9FBWvJSSFMzCUPTU186GTsb0nwEWiNMO