1 2 3
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/13/18 7:53 a.m.

It's been a tense week. Deucekid#3 went in for a regular six month retainer checkup with the orthodontist last Tuesday. Ortho was all "I swear to god this eye tooth should be here by now, I'm going to take an xray just to look." That led to a whoa moment and an appointment with an oral surgeon and his xray tomography machine for the next day. 3d skull image on the screen and even I can see enough to ask if that big honking hole is supposed to be there. "Nope, might be a cyst, might be more aggressive, let's biopsy." On Friday they muck about in my kid's face and the doctor says "berk if I know, i think we should hotshot it to the lab" which is the opposite of reassuring. Yesterday the doctor calls and says all the tissue he yanked out is consistent with a weird cyst and not malignant in any way that they can see. They still need to flay her face open to clean out the cyst and see if they need to repair the bone what teeth can be saved and all that. Still a major issue with some potentially serious surgery that we'll learn more about on Friday. 

It's been a long week, and I'm going to be asking you guys about any knowledge regarding oral surgery in thr coming weeks, but the tension level in the house is way down. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/13/18 7:58 a.m.

Great news!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
6/13/18 8:10 a.m.

Every parent's worst nightmare. Glad it's not more serious, and here's to the rest of it going smoothly.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/13/18 8:12 a.m.

I hope all is well. Get that kid some ice cream.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/13/18 8:22 a.m.
RossD said:

Get that kid some ice cream.

My first thought as well. 

mazdeuce - Seth
6/13/18 8:24 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

We bought her a big container the day before the biopsy and she's been working her way through it with dedication, even though she didn't ask for anything stronger than ibuprofen for the pain. 

To everyone else: thanks for the well wishes. Still a significant surgery and recovery to go and we're trapped in Texas until that gets sorted, maybe all summer, but I feel like you feel when you peel back the trunk lining and discover that the shock towers are not rusty and all you need is a suspension overhaul and not major structural repair. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/13/18 8:35 a.m.

DW actually went through this, though probably not to the extent that your daughter will.  She had a large cyst removed from her jaw and they packed the hole with cadaver bone.  Her own bone tissue healed into it perfectly and within months she was showing as normal.  There has been no recurrance.

Good luck and good medical science to all of you guys.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
6/13/18 8:42 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:t I feel like you feel when you peel back the trunk lining and discover that the shock towers are not rusty and all you need is a suspension overhaul and not major structural repair. 

Good analogy .

Been through the cancer thing with our youngest. It was a long haul.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
6/13/18 8:59 a.m.

Great news! Wishing all the best!

tb
tb Dork
6/13/18 9:02 a.m.

Excellent news!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/13/18 9:04 a.m.

What a relief, as Tom_Spangler said a parents worst nightmare .

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/13/18 9:09 a.m.

Good.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/13/18 9:17 a.m.

wow.. glad it was the lessor of two evils. Good luck!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/13/18 9:59 a.m.

Gooder news.  And a reminder to all of us to appreciate our kids all the time, we never know what the future holds.

Good modern medicine to your kids Seth!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 10:03 a.m.

Must have been quite a scare. Funny how life works. If not for the possibility of cancer, the current issue would seem a lot worse, but now it seems like a good deal in a way in that at least it is as not as bad as it could have been.

Sounds like you guys will still have a tough time, but I'm sure she will get through it just fine.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
6/13/18 10:11 a.m.

Yay! for not cancer. Boo! for surgery anyway. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
6/13/18 10:21 a.m.

So glad you got a win here!

mazdeuce - Seth
6/13/18 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Just told her she might get zombie bone! She wasn't super excited but the rest of the kids think it's awesome. laugh

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/13/18 10:58 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Excellent!

davefla
davefla New Reader
6/13/18 11:27 a.m.

I'm with her, in a way: I'd prefer titanium to zombie bone, and would call it "the Terminator chassis on the installment plan!"

Hope you're coming up with better jokes than that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/13/18 11:46 a.m.

Great news!

Finding out your kid doesn't have cancer or another life threatening disease is a feeling that is almost impossible to describe.

octavious
octavious Dork
6/13/18 11:52 a.m.

Awesome news!!!

Man I'm happy when my kids get over a cold, I can't imagine even worrying about anything bigger.  Mine has been in for one minor surgery when he was about 2 that he doesn't remember, but it scared the snot out of us.  

Good luck to her on the surgery.    

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
6/13/18 12:10 p.m.

Sounds like it was a very long week at your house, I can only imagine how it felt.  The road forward towards a happy ending won't always be fun, but I'm glad to hear that there will be a good outcome!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
6/13/18 12:31 p.m.

I'm so very happy for you and your family. Still a lot to deal with, but much better prognosis.

I wonder if it's a dentigerous cyst? They occur when a tooth doesn't erupt.

mazdeuce - Seth
6/13/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

That's the assumption but it was very much a shoulder shrug after the surgeon did the biopsy. I'll know more Friday when we do the proper follow up and scheduling for whatever the fix is, and even more after the next surgery, whatever that entails. 

Talked to the staff at the orthodontist's office today and the surgeon called over to give her a high five. Word is that he almost never sees these things this early because nobody catches them. She did good. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0MOcAtLRjYyaZUf142pfyAogKfSkccW15Csg3mjdjTf6mm3uKP9E1eIsvt7pTDbe