3 4 5
ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
10/8/12 6:50 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: OK, so let's have a recipe for this cornbread. My mom made it a lot when I was a kid, and it was great. My wife never heard of it, so whenever we're across the border, we grab some of that Jiffy stuff. I can't tell the difference between it, and the stuff my wife's made from scratch, so I need a recipe.
Okay! 1 cup yellow cornmeal 1/2 cup all purpose flour 1 tsp salt 1 Tbs baking powder 1 cup buttermilk 1/2 cup milk 1 egg 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 cup shortening + 2 Tbs shortening Preheat oven to 450°. Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine. Measure the buttermilk and milk into a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda to the milk mixture and stir together. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. In a medium cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the 1/4 cup shortening. Add melted shortening to the batter slowly, stirring just until combined. Then, in the same hot skillet melt 2 Tbs shortening. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and spread to even out the surface. Batter should sizzle when it makes contact with the pan. Cook on medium heat for 1 minute, then transfer to hot oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

Back from the dead!

Due to this thread, my boss knew I was after cast cornstick pans. He came up with a few older(50s?) pans from a flea market this past weekend. Will give your recipe a whirl this coming weekend, thanks ECM! Might go with to the market Saturday, supposedly they had quite a few 5-10" pans around for cheap.

Anyone else have any other cast iron recipes while this ignorant Yankee is scribbling these down?

gamby
gamby PowerDork
10/8/12 7:07 p.m.

My wife's recipe is from the At Blanchard's Table cookbook from about 10 years ago. She modified it a bit to take out some of the fat, but it's still WAY decadent.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/4457111/ns/today-food/t/caribbean-corn-bread/#.UHNqPK6Cu1g

She uses one stick of butter and a substitutes applesauce for the other stick. We also skip the cheese. I don't bake (I'm a great cook though), so I don't know the particular substitution. Be sure to add a bit extra salt, though.

Never made it in a skillet (because Yankees and because no cast iron skillet), but I'd think it would be amazing in that, too.

It's a staple at Thanksgiving and Easter and if I'm lucky, it pops up when I make pulled pork.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
10/8/12 11:36 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: Back from the dead! Due to this thread, my boss knew I was after cast cornstick pans. He came up with a few older(50s?) pans from a flea market this past weekend. Will give your recipe a whirl this coming weekend, thanks ECM! Might go with to the market Saturday, supposedly they had quite a few 5-10" pans around for cheap. Anyone else have any other cast iron recipes while this ignorant Yankee is scribbling these down?

Need to deep fry anything? At least once in your life, make some fried chicken or porkchops. Cast iron is best, because there are fewer hotspots and the oil temperature is more stable when adding cold meat.

Start by heating your oil. Every burner is different, but I usually turn a large burner onto 7. You can get all picky with the temperatures using a candy thermometer, but I usually just kind of wing it. I usually make biscuits at the same time, so I put a little piece of biscuit dough in the oil. If it doesn't bubble, it's not hot enough; if it is a violent boil, it is too hot. Go for something in the middle. And try the fried biscuit dough; you won't regret it.Vegetable oil works well (typically it's soybean oil), but for the true southern experience, use shortening. Just don't make this a daily meal, and you will be fine.

Preparing the meat is pretty simple. I like to buy leg quarters, split into thighs and legs, trim of any huge hunks of fat, and leave the skin on. I have never fried pork chops (just eaten them!), but I imagine they're pretty simple: Use bone-in cuts, trim excess fat, and you should be ready to bread them.

I use the double breading method: In one large bowl, mix flour with your favorite seasonings until you can taste them in the flour. Salt, pepper, and paprika is a solid foundation. Aside from that, I would maybe add crushed red pepper and ground cayenne pepper.

In a second bowl, beat a few eggs into milk or buttermilk. Using one hand (so that only one gets all gooey), dredge the meat in flour, then the wash, and back into the flour. Shake off any excess flour; otherwise, it will separate in the oil, burn, and smoke up the place. From here, lightly drop the pieces into the hot oil, waiting maybe 15 seconds or so between pieces so that the temperature can stabilize. I think the rule is larger pieces in the middle, smaller towards the perimeter. When taking them out of the oil, shake off the excess, and let them dry on a wire rack.

Ideally, you should use a pan with pretty deep sides. When the pan is filled, oil should come more than halfway up the side of the thickest pieces.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
10/9/12 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Mitchell:

I'm starving now. Thank you.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/9/12 9:14 p.m.

Hot damn. Yeah. Me too!!!

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/29/13 2:31 p.m.

Bump,

For xmas Santa brought me:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Combo-Cooker/dp/B0009JKG9M

For seasoning, I used rubber gloves to cover the whole thing in shortening, making sure it wasn't on thick or anything. Put them upside down in a cold oven to 300, then once preheated I bumped it up to 405 and let them cook for an hour. After I let them cool in the oven until cold. When I took them out they were slick, but very slightly sticky.

First time cooking with the Dutch oven side I fried some chicken in canola oil. Worked great but some of the oil caked onto the outside which didn't come off when wiping clean with a paper towel. Then today I cooked bacon in the skillet. The bacon stuck like crazy but still came out delicious. The issue i'm having is with the stickiness. Did I season them incorrectly? I was expecting more of a nonstick then what's happening. Just takes more time?

Same thing happened with my grill grates. First go around I did the same method at 200 and they came out really sticky. Did some reading on the internet and decided it wasn't hot enough. I put them right back in at 400 and they came out much better but still slightly sticky (like my dutch oven). Should I cook them at a higher heat?

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
1/30/13 8:56 p.m.

I am an amateur chef. I have a host of stainless, aluminum, and iron pans. I have the latest and greatest stuff, but sometimes I pull out Grandma's old Wagner and fry up some potatoes and onions.

I could have just as easily done it in my Le Creuset iron skillets, or even my All-Clad non-stick skillet, but where is the fun of that?

If you prepared a meal for someone else in an old Griswold and the same meal in a Le Creuset, chances are you couldn't tell the difference. If you prepared a meal for your own family with Grandma's cast iron, chances are that the perception would make it taste far better.

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
1/30/13 9:03 p.m.

I am thankful that my Grandmother passed on her cast iron to my mother. The meals my mom could create in those skillets was amazing.

I am also thankful for my Grandmother's cooking skill. I am not exaggerating when I say this... I watch cooking shows and think one of two things: A) duh, grandma taught me that when I was 6, or B) searing doesn't "seal in juices" it just adds flavor.

I watch infomercials about cooking products that "seal in the juices" and I want to punch the TV.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/30/13 9:30 p.m.

Tried pan searing some fish in mine today and failed horribly....well not really but it definitely stuck. Need to figure out this seasoning thing

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
1/30/13 11:56 p.m.

^ Be a man add butter

As a by the by let me share two favorites.

Buttered Steaks: Steaks (choose your favorite cut NY Strip for me) A stick of butter 1 clove of garlic minced your favorite fresh herbs 1 large onion

Melt half the butter with the herbs and garlic. Heat your pan we are looking for the fires of hell here. Brush thawed steaks with butter and sear one at a time. Cut heat add steaks and onions cook to desired doneness more than medium is ruining it. Rest steaks for 10min while melting butter with more whole herbs, remove herbs and spoon butter over steaks.

Corn bread: Not mine but by far the best Ive ever had Ingredients 2 cups yellow cornmeal 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs 1 cup creamed corn 2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.

Swirl the canola oil in the hot cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/31/13 9:41 a.m.

I almost picked up a new lodge mini skillet last night. 5" square, low lip, looks perfect for a mini omelet or a breakfast sandwich egg.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qgTw4qhG7xVS9J8jODoDKNt4cFYKr2XdjHdhZmtp3bohAYouXqzb5uw5rXirnjLG