1 2 3
iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
6/24/12 7:00 p.m.

Oh, Clint Boyer won. He led the most laps also.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
6/24/12 7:07 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: I usually like the NASCAR road courses but... pffft

Yeah, it wasn't as good as the Nationwide race yesterday. The only good racing going on was Kurt and Clint towards the end and Stewart was charging through the field pretty good. I am not looking for a crashfest or anything but it is nice to see a little more dive bombing and door to door racing.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/24/12 7:11 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Kurt came close, he burned up his tires trying to take the lead. He finished third. The race was surprisingly incident free. I thimk Marcos had brake problems. The talking heads were going nuts with the lack of cautions/incidents. They did get their green/white/checker though. They seem to love those.

Did anybody ever confirm/deny that Kurt had a bad linkage in the rear suspension?

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
6/24/12 7:22 p.m.

He bent/broke the Panhard bar mount.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
6/24/12 7:37 p.m.

Anti-Stance, I just noticed, and approve your profile pic! IT crowd FTW!

I started watching the race, and fell asleep before anything exciting happened. I guess I didn't miss much. lol

friedgreencorrado
6/24/12 7:38 p.m.
turbojunker wrote: He bent/broke the Panhard bar mount.

Thanks. I kinda figured he'd roasted the tires during the dice, but thought they'd come back a little bit after the caution.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
6/24/12 7:43 p.m.

He touched the wall at some point in that dicing, and that's what bent/broke the panhard rod.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
6/24/12 7:47 p.m.

Kurt said the tires stacked up inside of 11 were bolted down this year and didn't give when he hit some.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
6/24/12 7:48 p.m.

Also, I normally can't wait for the TNT races but that was a horrible broadcast. Missed 4 spins, and I think three cars ran out of fuel that they didn't report on.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
6/24/12 8:11 p.m.
turbojunker wrote: Kurt said the tires stacked up inside of 11 were bolted down this year and didn't give when he hit some.

Man, those tires are like 5 feet inside the gators, I cant believe part of his strategy was to pinball off of them. I am sure he was talking about how the car was the worst piece of E36 M3 hes ever driven and all of the noise over the radio.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/25/12 12:03 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
turbojunker wrote: Kurt said the tires stacked up inside of 11 were bolted down this year and didn't give when he hit some.
Man, those tires are like 5 feet inside the gators, I cant believe part of his strategy was to pinball off of them. I am sure he was talking about how the car was the worst piece of E36 M3 hes ever driven and all of the noise over the radio.

actually, Kurt was in tears when he got out of his car... and not the tears of a petulant child that didn't get his way.. tears of joy.. he was getting almost as many high fives and hugs after the race from people all over the garage as Jr got last week.. he had nothing but praise and good things to say about the team and the car.

and he didn't verbally stomp on a reporter..

it was kinda weird..

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/25/12 12:26 a.m.

Honorable mention to Brian Vickers for finishing 4th! Not bad for his second start of the year. One of the broadcasters mentioned he was at le mans? Cool stuff.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
6/25/12 12:46 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Honorable mention to Brian Vickers for finishing 4th! Not bad for his second start of the year. One of the broadcasters mentioned he was at le mans? Cool stuff.

Yep. He was on a Ferrari team.

friedgreencorrado
6/25/12 1:11 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Anti-stance wrote:
actually, Kurt was in tears when he got out of his car... and not the tears of a petulant child that didn't get his way.. tears of joy.. he was getting almost as many high fives and hugs after the race from people all over the garage as Jr got last week.. he had nothing but praise and good things to say about the team and the car. and he didn't verbally stomp on a reporter.. it was kinda weird..

I gotta admit..even though I respect his (Kurt's) talent, I do realize why he's had a problem finding sponsorship. Damn shame he wasn't old enough to be in NASCAR back when such behavior was rewarded..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
6/25/12 11:26 a.m.

Tony Stewart confirmed that Kurts rear axle was moving the wrong way.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
6/25/12 12:25 p.m.
Cole_Trickle wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: Honorable mention to Brian Vickers for finishing 4th! Not bad for his second start of the year. One of the broadcasters mentioned he was at le mans? Cool stuff.
Yep. He was on a Ferrari team.

He was on Michael Waltrip's Ferrari team.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/25/12 1:14 p.m.

Anyone go to the Baltimore Grand Prix last year? The announcers made fun of the circle-track Indy drivers who didn't know what an apex was...

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/25/12 3:05 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
Anti-stance wrote:
actually, Kurt was in tears when he got out of his car... and not the tears of a petulant child that didn't get his way.. tears of joy.. he was getting almost as many high fives and hugs after the race from people all over the garage as Jr got last week.. he had nothing but praise and good things to say about the team and the car. and he didn't verbally stomp on a reporter.. it was kinda weird..
I gotta admit..even though I respect his (Kurt's) talent, I *do* realize why he's had a problem finding sponsorship. Damn shame he wasn't old enough to be in NASCAR back when such behavior was rewarded.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE

he did have a bit of a run in with Jimmy Spencer's fist after a race in '03 and he was rewarded with the championship the next year...

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/25/12 4:36 p.m.

I am a NASCAR novice, but with all this talk of punting - didn't Earnhardt earn his status as the most beloved NASCAR driver of all time by knocking people out of his way? Is it more complicated than that?

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
6/25/12 4:41 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: I am a NASCAR novice, but with all this talk of punting - didn't Earnhardt earn his status as the most beloved NASCAR driver of all time by knocking people out of his way? Is it more complicated than that?

Nah, he was called "Hammerhead" for other reasons.....

^sarcasm^

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
6/25/12 4:53 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: I am a NASCAR novice, but with all this talk of punting - didn't Earnhardt earn his status as the most beloved NASCAR driver of all time by knocking people out of his way? Is it more complicated than that?

Yep. But the fans that sport #3 stickers, shirts, and flags do not have the ability to remember that when they are hating on Kyle Busch... FOR DOING THE EXACT SAME THING....

My point with the whole thing is that while Kyle Busch and Earnhardt Sr. do/did this stuff it was typically a tit for tat kinda thing. MANY drivers do this in stock car racing, even at the Saturday night local dirt track, hence the term "rubbin' is racin'". But the previous two incidents from last year, wrecking completely innocent drivers and this, starts to build a reputation that separates yourself from the rubbin' is racin' stuff and strictly puts you into shiny happy person-ville. I really do not think he punted her on purpose, but I think he was driving like E36 M3... again.

I understand a part of Villenueve's gripe that he got squeezed by Max, which I doubt was intentional. But punting Danica(another innocent victim of his driving), blaming it on Max, and not owning up to ruining Danica's rather good race is just being a dickhead. He knew he went 4 off when he was squeezed and that he should not late brake into turn 5 right after that, this isn't his first race. If he didn't have a history of this kinda terrible driving, I'd give him slack.

Oh, and I am fairly new to the whole NASCAR thing myself. I have only been watching since 2009, everything before that is like reading a history book.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/25/12 5:50 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Yep. But the fans that sport #3 stickers, shirts, and flags do not have the ability to remember that when they are hating on Kyle Busch... FOR DOING THE EXACT SAME THING....

But one had the proper attitude to speak himself out of that jam and the other acts like a rich, spoiled brat.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
6/25/12 6:15 p.m.

You can clearly hear the rear wheel hop from Villeneuve's in car camera. Still doesn't excuse the way he acted after the race.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/25/12 6:24 p.m.

no.. Sr earned his reputation from racing hard but fair.. if you were holding him up, he moved you out of the way.. if you did him wrong, he got you back.. but with him it never left the race track.

the Busch brothers earned their reputations for being little brats that could dish it out but not take it. i know nothing about this Villeneuve character, other than only hearing his name in relation to an on track incident where he ran someone off the track for some reason or another that was never his fault..

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
6/25/12 7:13 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: no.. Sr earned his reputation from racing hard but fair.. if you were holding him up, he moved you out of the way.. if you did him wrong, he got you back.. but with him it never left the race track.

before taking this statement as FACT maybe Terry Labonte should be asked

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VDQtuOdDW67LVN84Ym9v9i88dAMZ27TWUN3y4hjUz3qam62zoxaFGjYCTIbC5ebA