Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
11/12/16 8:35 a.m.

So beware if you don't want that brine on your classic. As for why they treated them is anyone's guess. There was no freeze warning, no precipitation in the forecast, and no leftover rain on the roads. They were dry.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/12/16 8:38 a.m.

Friday, I was on Rt2 in the Vermilion area when I noticed they had laid down brine earlier. Those distinctive salty white stripes laid in the road caused me to shed a little tear. I have two FL cars in the fleet that will be taking their first salt baths this year.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
11/12/16 8:51 a.m.

Melonfarmer. I was thinking of taking the Mazda for a ride this weekend.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
11/12/16 8:53 a.m.

Yay ODOT! 0% chance of snow, and they start the automotive destruction cycle...

John, did you get a Fluid Film sprayer?

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
11/12/16 9:34 a.m.

ugh. guess we'll have to spray the ram and the charger this week.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
11/12/16 10:30 a.m.

Based on my experience, best to do it outside on a calm-ish day & wear a bunny suit and mask. I filled my lungs up with some serious nastiness & kept hearing 'what #$%&! stinks so bad' all weekend everytime somebody went out in the garage.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/12/16 10:59 a.m.

I remember when I used to live in Lima and when it would snow a 1/2", they would drop salt like they were making a new gravel road.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
11/12/16 11:12 a.m.

Yeah, I don't understand it, I thought the brine was for when it was below 10 degrees? Regardless, it was completely unnecessary and made me have to wash the wagon for the second time this week.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
11/12/16 11:27 a.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote: Yeah, I don't understand it, I thought the brine was for when it was below 10 degrees? Regardless, it was completely unnecessary and made me have to wash the wagon for the second time this week.

The thing with the brine is that it doesn't wash off of the road as easily, so it has a lot more staying power. The salt runs right off.

This, of course, means it also has a lot more car-eating power. And you have to wait for two or three good hard rains in the spring before you can drive your nice cars again.

I was sorely tempted to vote against issue 32 because I actually like that Cleveland doesn't plow/salt side streets anymore.

PeteD
PeteD New Reader
11/13/16 7:46 p.m.

I noticed that they're doing this here in N.W. CT already too!

Esoteric Nixon wrote: So beware if you don't want that brine on your classic. As for why they treated them is anyone's guess. There was no freeze warning, no precipitation in the forecast, and no leftover rain on the roads. They were dry.
dropstep
dropstep Dork
11/13/16 7:59 p.m.

Seen the stripes on 127 in n.w. ohio. The wagons been put away atleast!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/13/16 8:38 p.m.

Ohio hates your car and is actively trying to kill it.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/13/16 9:03 p.m.

Just moved to CT and really looking forward to washing the car once a week for the next six months or whatever.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/14/16 1:11 a.m.

Saw PennDOT brine trucks out a couple weeks ago on a bright 45 degree morning. Appears they were just testing the equipment.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/14/16 6:06 a.m.

I think these are all test runs.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/14/16 8:36 a.m.

62 degrees and sunny here in Boston today. No brine in sight.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/14/16 8:40 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: 62 degrees and sunny here in Boston today. No brine in sight.

same in Minnesota.

collinskl1
collinskl1 New Reader
11/14/16 8:57 a.m.

Driving home Saturday from a week working in NC, I saw the brine on I77 in Akron... I didn't think it had gotten below freezing yet and there wasn't any evidence of precipitation. I guess it's about time to find some snow tires for the car and make sure the truck is ready for more severe duty.

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
11/14/16 3:35 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Esoteric Nixon wrote: Yeah, I don't understand it, I thought the brine was for when it was below 10 degrees? Regardless, it was completely unnecessary and made me have to wash the wagon for the second time this week.
The thing with the brine is that it doesn't wash off of the road as easily, so it has a lot more staying power. The salt runs right off. This, of course, means it also has a lot more car-eating power. And you have to wait for two or three good hard rains in the spring before you can drive your nice cars again. I was sorely tempted to vote against issue 32 because I actually like that Cleveland doesn't plow/salt side streets anymore.

I seem to remember hearing that they (well PENNDOT at least) started putting some kind of beet sugar in the brine mix a few years ago to help it adhere even better. Certainly does seem harder to wash off

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
11/14/16 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

They did that in Ohio, but then the deer would stand in the middle of the road and lick it off. I would guess if it was a beet product, it would be beet molasses. Beet sugar is what most table sugar in the US is. Beet molasses isn't very tasty for humans so it is a waste product.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ocXftwFxDHRhVOQqX2ckqTRJeUjdbCZDBQIkiwg9hvjQw8eMM8bZqtOa3jxjDnbL