1 2
Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/10/17 2:28 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Canadians should have the same argument against having passports then, yet they are like 20% more likely to have one.

Except that something like 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
7/17/17 10:34 a.m.

Yes. The Canadians are in the ideal strategic position to invade. They can't defend that border, but they're already staged for the attack.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/17 11:06 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Canadians should have the same argument against having passports then, yet they are like 20% more likely to have one. As a US citizen living abroad, I know all about it being a PITA to renew, but can't imagine giving up the ability to travel spontaneously anywhere in the world. I mean, what if you should have a sudden need to be in a country without an extradition treaty?

(Note: I have a passport, have used it, and plan on using it in the future)

For me, the thing is that other than certain cultural experiences there is nothing that you can't experience within the United States. Tropics? Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Peurto Rico, St. Thomas. Mountains? Alaska, Rockies, Appalachians. Desert? Arizona. Tundra? Alaska. I really have no big reason to leave US other than to see where my grandpa was wounded in WWII.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
7/17/17 11:16 a.m.

If one were paranoid one might think it's all a giant scheme to curb Americans from traveling. When people don't move much and are forced to digest a their information from controlled sources it's much easier to make them believe whatever you tell them.

Like "this is the greatest country in the world", "everyone we say is bad is bad", "Freedom is Slavery", "Ignorance is Strength" and so on.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/17/17 11:32 a.m.

Or, you know, maybe the US should bring up it's travel security standards up to pretty much every other nation in the world (yes, even the crappy poor ones).

Those big oceans don't protect as much as they used to.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/17 4:31 p.m.

In reply to chaparral:

That's what soothsayers that made the movie Canadian Bacon espoused

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O9TP4Ykhpxoyd5Xopic1PZL8e8t3FvoaXRmgW78Y7sQXj5dOoE32qS5SxjbuEJB0