WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/5/24 11:57 a.m.

Any recommendations on security cameras that can be used on a network, but not cloud based? 

I'm totally comfortable installing this on a separate subnet on the network, which we have full control over.  I can even completely black hole all ports on this thing and only connect via VNC if that's what's required.

I'd prefer not to have the price subsidized by China in exchange for access to the video stream if possible 🙂 It's for a friends' shop.

I'll end up with somewhere between 10-20 cameras, and since vandalism has been a problem at this location, easier access to videos to hand to the police are a plus.  It's replacing a ~20 year Linksys setup.

Thanks!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/5/24 12:11 p.m.

I don't think any CCTV/DVR systems currently in production are cloud-free, many don't even have non-cloud access options, and among consumer models very few are not Chinese.

One way I know you could do this would be to use a desktop PC with FLOSS DVR software on it that connects to the cameras, either IP cameras or traditional CCTV cameras connected to the PC through CCTV interface cards (or you can even mix them together with other options like USB webcams). But if you don't want to build your own system, your best option might be to find a non-Chinese DVR with LAN access options and avoid making a cloud account.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/5/24 12:22 p.m.

This is the cheapest pre-built option I've found so far (can be had cheaper with only 4 cameras), it's cloud-optional, designed and sold by an NDAA-compliant American company, made in Taiwan:

https://www.a1securitycameras.com/speco-zipk4n1-4-channel-surveillance-kit-with-four-5mp-ip-cameras-1tb.html

Edit: You can see some similar systems with different numbers of cameras here:

https://www.a1securitycameras.com/speco/security-camera-systems/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/5/24 12:25 p.m.

Ubiquiti's camera system is all local storage. That's how I'd go if I were installing cameras and access control. They're a US company.

https://ui.com/us/en/camera-security

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/5/24 12:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Ubiquiti's camera system is all local storage. That's how I'd go if I were installing cameras and access control. They're a US company.

https://ui.com/us/en/camera-security

Ooooh, I didn't realize Ubiquiti's cameras were local storage!  That's probably the answer, I love their networking stuff. 

Thanks Keith!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/5/24 12:38 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

This is the cheapest pre-built option I've found so far (can be had cheaper with only 4 cameras), it's cloud-optional, designed and sold by an NDAA-compliant American company, made in Taiwan:

https://www.a1securitycameras.com/speco-zipk4n1-4-channel-surveillance-kit-with-four-5mp-ip-cameras-1tb.html

Edit: You can see some similar systems with different numbers of cameras here:

https://www.a1securitycameras.com/speco/security-camera-systems/

Awesome links, thanks for these.  I'm going to be checking it out!

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
7/5/24 12:40 p.m.

I use Blueiris

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/5/24 2:11 p.m.

Local storage is pretty common if that's all you're after, local system access (vs. being forced through a cloud system) is less common especially on consumer-grade gear.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/5/24 2:57 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Local storage is pretty common if that's all you're after, local system access (vs. being forced through a cloud system) is less common especially on consumer-grade gear.

Yeah, it needs to be relatively easily accessible for the user..   Which is part of what I was running into when I was searching myself. 

A friend of mine actually tested a few cameras years ago for his home office.   When he geofence/blocked all Chinese IPs at the router level, the cameras themselves wouldn't respond anymore.. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
7/5/24 3:46 p.m.

Synology Surveillance Station is local disks and if a guy wanted to could be run air gapped with everything on prem.  

TBH I dont E36 M3 a berkeley if the Chinese want to watch me working on stuff in my garage.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/5/24 4:27 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Ubiquiti says theirs is accessed locally. 

Easily and securely access your cameras from anywhere in the world using the UniFi Site Manager or UniFi Protect Mobile App (iOS/Android). All security footage remains local to your UniFi Console to avoid unnecessary cloud storage for maximum data privacy. The UniFi Site Manager and Protect Mobile App simply provides a secure connection to your local UniFi Console. 

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
7/7/24 9:38 a.m.

I'm in for updates. Over the years I've tried running a few consumer level local network cameras after taking away the internet and suddenly they didn't want to work. Very aggravating. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/7/24 10:42 a.m.

I installed Eufy cameras a few months ago. They can use cloud storage (for a fee, of course), or you can buy their Homebase, throw a hard drive in it, and store locally. That's what I did.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
7/7/24 2:26 p.m.

Following along. Not that I have much worth protecting, but it's starting to sound like a good idea. 

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
7/18/24 3:53 p.m.

Our current cloud service just upped their subscription fee to $140/mo.  No thanks. 

Just found this thread and will look through these links shortly.  The Hive delivers again!

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/2/24 2:48 p.m.

ReoLink is a popular option with PoE and NVR setups. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tydMmxhNPF8Qd5T1XtYZ6boJCMdwEtBUQcmGOsa958ATQhCkZXaVa1G0imYsPjvi