1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/2/12 3:13 p.m.

Got this idea from the "what would it take for you to buy a new car" thread.

If you answered "I'd have to be rich" or "hell would have to freeze over," what would you buy if you were forced at gunpoint to spend your own money to replace a car you currently own (and use regularly, no cheating for you guys with automotive ADD!) with a new car.

I'd buy an FT86 to replace my AE92.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/2/12 3:13 p.m.

Would i have to be able to afford it? Or can i just pick anything?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/2/12 3:17 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Would i have to be able to afford it? Or can i just pick anything?

This?

If it is something I could afford Fiat 500 Abarth. If not something I could afford, Morgan Aero 8.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/2/12 3:18 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Would i have to be able to afford it? Or can i just pick anything?

The limit is whatever you can reasonably afford with financing.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/2/12 3:20 p.m.

VEYRON!!!!!!!

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
4/2/12 3:20 p.m.

Probably another Fit for myself. It seems to offer the right combination of reasonable price new vs. used resale value, comfort, practicality, reliability, economy, and to a lesser extent, fun.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/2/12 3:21 p.m.

Ok, but really... It'd be a hard choice between the FT86 or a PRHT black on black MX-5.

If i wanted to be somewhat responsible, i'd probably be taking a long hard look at the FJ Cruiser to replace our Cherokee with.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
4/2/12 3:21 p.m.

I would buy a Morgan Aero 8

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/2/12 3:24 p.m.

Hey don't forget the replacement rule. I'm trying to simulate the buying patterns of the "replace the car with a new one every 5 years" crowd.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
4/2/12 3:25 p.m.

Pretty much just these, in order:

Lotus Evora
Lotus Elise/Exige
FT-86
Hyundai Genesis

...all with the best engine, firmest suspension, best stereo, most black leather, and least sunroof I can get my hands on.

(The Lotuses may be out of range of my funding... but maybe not in a few years!)

Grizz
Grizz Dork
4/2/12 3:26 p.m.

I can honestly say I don't know. And if it's what I can reasonably afford, the answer is still nothing, even forced.

In the spirit of the thread though, I guess Dodge Dart SRT whenever it comes out.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/2/12 3:33 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hey don't forget the replacement rule. I'm trying to simulate the buying patterns of the "replace the car with a new one every 5 years" crowd.

Yeah, i'd replace the MX6 with the MX5 or FT86.

The FJ Cruiser would be replacing either MX6 or Jeep.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
4/2/12 3:35 p.m.

Mustang GT. I'm pricing used ones frequently already.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/2/12 3:36 p.m.

BOSS 302.

EvanB
EvanB UltraDork

Mazda2

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader

MS3

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
4/2/12 3:40 p.m.

I'd buy a Japanese land cruiser to replace my trooper.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
4/2/12 3:45 p.m.

I'd buy an STI to replace my Forester XT. Then I'd go buy a roof rack, a 4x8 trailer and a hitch so I could carry all of my stuff.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/2/12 3:45 p.m.

Finance myself until I'm in debt up to my eyeballs?

• Replace the Porsche 944 with a Porsche Boxster S
  • Replace the Mazda5 with a Mazda5 (can I wait for the all-new Skyactiv one without the stupid face though?)
  • Replace the Grand Prix GT with a Pontiac G8. What do you mean they don't make them? Okay, Chevy Caprice. Fleet only? Dammit! Okay, okay, with a 2013 Fusion (the Aston looking one)
  • Replace the Javelin with my cold, dead fingers! A Boss 302 would be the closest thing though.
4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
4/2/12 3:46 p.m.

mazda 2

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/2/12 4:43 p.m.

If I was forced to buy a new car? Do they still make manual-shift cars with manual windows, cable-operated throttle, and OBD-I? Then I guess you've got to force me into paying a mechanic to do everything, too, because modern cars have too many damned computers and electrical crap in them. But that said, I don't have much of my own money, so I'd have to buy something stupid cheap...so a base model Hyundai or Fiesta or the small Toyota or whatever.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/2/12 5:09 p.m.

Either a MINI or a Mazda 2 (which I forgot to mention in the other thread).

And I'm with TC...purchase would be followed immediately by a trip to a place who can replace the throttle module, reflash the fuel map, and install a master kill switch in the dashboard.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
4/2/12 5:13 p.m.

{flounder bait} I'd lease a Volt {/flounder bait}

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
4/2/12 5:23 p.m.

Gawd, what I could afford with reasonable financing.... right now... golly. They don't make Yugos anymore, do they?

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
4/2/12 5:33 p.m.

What could I afford? Nothing, that's why I drive $free-500 cars.

What would buy if forced? Mazda 2 or Honda Fit.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o37KIQZWXknwwUmHMDlvgH9uGHGwbSGpTLQWdYgUyU6AKbP4T0VPiQBtRcQXbEKD