In reply to matthewmcl :

My GF bought this house in 2021. The previous owners replaced a few fence posts and one whole side right before they sold it. They used untreated 4x4s with no footings. Not even 3 years later, most of the posts are rotting off.

These people did some very questionable repairs to get it sold. I can't in good conscience rig stuff back together so the next owner has to fix it right. If I had the money, I replace the entire fence with steel posts in concrete and treated wood. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/10/23 5:06 a.m.

A sound to the south. Seven rounds from a handgun. Rapid pulls emptying a magazine, then nothing. I am on the hospital rooftop. Nothing to worry about probably,  but I'm going to depart to the north.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
9/11/23 12:49 p.m.

Those are interesting.  If I had a wooden fence I could see the use.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/11/23 8:22 p.m.

If trees use the sun to grow, does that make firewood distilled sunshine?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/23 9:30 p.m.

People complain about the water pumps in the 3.5/3.7 Duratecs, but they replaced the engines that drove the water pump off of a spline or something on the back of one of the camshafts.  Eleventy dozen hoses large and small all in that area because external water pump, and then the splines in the camshaft wear out and it is hideously expensive to tear the engine apart to replace the failed camshaft.  Assuming that the engine in the Five Hundred didn't get fried by someone driving without a pumping water pump until the engine stopped moving.

They probably should have gone to an electric water pump like some of the hybrids had, but then people would probably storm Dearborn with torches and pitchforks.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
10/2/23 10:21 p.m.

"trail of breadcrumbs" refers to leading somewhere, but in Hansel & Gretel the birds ate them all and they got lost. Hansel first used river pebbles to get home so shouldn't the phrase be "trail of pebbles", or "pebble path" because we love alliteration?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/14/23 6:45 p.m.

Playing in the rain on some fast winding roads, hearing the howl and the turbo whistle...

It's a car built thanks to a racing legacy, with an elongated nose with special ducting to house and feed the larger intercooler required for the large KKK turbo that is happiest at higher speeds, feeding air at high pressure into an all aluminum 20 valve DOHC five cylinder engine, that sends about 300 horsepower through a 6 speed trans driving all four sticky 235/45 tires.

Not this one though

What a difference twenty years makes

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/19/23 7:04 p.m.

"Malört as a taste is acquired. Kind of like AIDS is acquired."

"so, it is the result of unfortunate events or bad life choices?"

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
10/19/23 9:25 p.m.

In 1983 they had a Saturday morning cartoon about a talking Rubik’s cube named Rubik that lived with a Mexican family. And his main villain was a gypsy. Rubik was an idiot when mixed up but you had to solve him for him to talk

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/19/23 10:43 p.m.

The amount of people willing to wander around in a fog and avoid any kind of self-improvement is frankly rather terrifying. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/23 11:14 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

People with low self esteem and zero sense of self worth are apt to choose the fog. Ask me how I know.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/19/23 11:52 p.m.

I got an Osage orange fruit. Time to plant a tree.

What ever happened to the making bows thread?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/30/23 7:42 p.m.

I said that when the economy takes a E36 M3 I'm going to buy something cool at a distressed price. I'm leaning very heavily toward a a Kei truck

I wonder what it will be next week.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
10/30/23 8:56 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Those are interesting.  If I had a wooden fence I could see the use.

I need this now where do i find it?????  amazon?

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
10/30/23 8:57 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

The amount of people willing to wander around in a fog and avoid any kind of self-improvement is frankly rather terrifying. 

nor acknowledgment of the current stature of our nation.....

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
10/31/23 6:13 p.m.

Twizzlers are to all the other candy in the bag what ripe bananas are to everything else in the lunchbox. They are the world champion of off-gassing.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/1/23 10:33 a.m.

So now cocaine is legal in Oregon, but straws aren't.  Must be frustrating.

If Adam & Eve were Cajuns, they would have eaten the snake and saved us all a lot of trouble.

Now that Covid has everyone washing their hands correctly, next week turn signals!

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/1/23 4:58 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

In reply to matthewmcl :

My GF bought this house in 2021. The previous owners replaced a few fence posts and one whole side right before they sold it. They used untreated 4x4s with no footings. Not even 3 years later, most of the posts are rotting off.

These people did some very questionable repairs to get it sold. I can't in good conscience rig stuff back together so the next owner has to fix it right. If I had the money, I replace the entire fence with steel posts in concrete and treated wood. 

Use treated wood, then pack gravel around it with a digging bar so it can drain. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/23 5:07 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

People will spend months and years doing something the terrible, difficult way they already know rather than spend days or weeks learning how to do the same task properly and efficiently.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/1/23 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Because to them, there is always the possibility that the new way is even worse. The result is wasted days/weeks. Which has been reinforced by that scenario actually happening to to them. Often more than once. I speak from experience. Its incredibly difficult for a person to unlearn but it takes only seconds for someone else to say.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
11/2/23 11:26 p.m.

Who remembers this car?  I knew the guy that built and autocrossed this monstrosity in probably like 2010.  Reason I thought about it was a buddy hit me up and told me it's still around. Been thru a few owners but is still the same LeBaron wagon with all the driveline, underpinnings,  and suspension of a srt4 neon.   Awesome car

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
11/4/23 7:08 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yep.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/5/23 6:19 a.m.
Duke said:
Recon1342 said:

People will spend months and years doing something the terrible, difficult way 

I know people that have spent their entire lives doing nothing, providing little to no value to themselves or anyone else. It's hard to watch, and difficult to understand. Those people are what came to mind when I read the first quote 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/24 11:05 p.m.

Some people are awesome.

Once upon a time in a heavily wooded area, there was no good place to land at a scene. I found a house nearby with a flat circle of lawn and did a single low orbit. The family came out and waved as I turned back to check the ambulance. They were ready to roll and followed us back to the west. Looking ahead at the house, the family was moving their truck and rounding up their dogs. It was only two minutes and not a word was spoken between us, but they made a clear LZ where the ambulance could park beside us.

...I'm sorry about the chickens.

Later, while we were putting the helicopter away, a man walked over and asked if the patient we had flown had made it. My crew explained that we can't share patient information. He said that he understood, but that he had pulled the guy out of the fire and 'put him out'. He walked back into the hospital ER. As I finished refueling, I saw him walking to a car with his family and caught up with them. I thanked him for what he had done and told him that I'm sure that he saved the guy's life. He explained that as a teenager he had seen someone burn in a car wreck while nobody was able to extricate them. He couldn't watch it happen again. Didn't even think about it and pulled a burning man from the flames. He and his daughter had both just been treated and released for smoke inhalation from the incident. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/8/24 10:32 a.m.

Why does everyone in a position of fame feel they are authorities on every possible subject under the sun?

I'm sorry, but you get paid to play pretend/chase a ball/sing and dance. I'll listen when I see some credentials...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dn7kqHTVyOE7X3ThALiCYdewQevyoV68dYRPHWqfF3cfrr2YhcD8xwmT8P1RkcQY