3 4 5
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/23/14 2:08 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Needs moar trucknutz, thats why it ain't sold yet.

Or try viral marketing - put a picture of a line of people with heavy boots on getting ready to kick it in the trucknutz, offer permission to take a swing at them for $1 a kick.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
4/23/14 2:12 p.m.

New add looks like a really clean truck. I think you need to put some mopar stickers and ask for double

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/23/14 2:12 p.m.

The new ad looks like a truck I would look at.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/23/14 2:16 p.m.

That ad is a LOT better. And, you did a great job cleaning the interior!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' HalfDork
4/23/14 3:23 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
TRoglodyte wrote: Needs moar trucknutz, thats why it ain't sold yet.
Or try viral marketing - put a picture of a line of people with heavy boots on getting ready to kick it in the trucknutz, offer permission to take a swing at them for $1 a kick.

Absolutely brilliant but there’s no need for viral marketing…just park in front of a militant feminist university. You can sit in the bed drinking beer heckling stuff like “look at all those future samich makers”.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/23/14 5:17 p.m.

Nice ad, Curtis. Night and day.

I know that "dumbing down" the ad is stroking you the wrong way. Let me share a lesson I learned a long time ago...

I was selling a running Super Beetle that was not worth much more than a parts car. It drove, but had a lot of rust, including strut towers that were badly rusted to the point of significant structural damage.

In those days, that was a $300 car.

I ran a long, completely honest ad outlining all the issues. $300. It ran in the paper for 2 months and I never got a single call.

Then I ran a new ad. "Super Beetle. Needs work. Runs good. $600".

I got 5 calls the first day. I answered every question honestly. 1 guy came to see it the next day.

When he was looking under the hood at the strut towers, I said, "It's got some rust there". He said, "That's no big deal. These things all rust like that. I can fix it". Then he asked me if I'd take $550 for it.

I paused. Then said, "Sure, I guess so".

He was thrilled. So was I.

I learned a good lesson that day.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
4/23/14 8:18 p.m.

ditch the nose on shot, it shows the bumper being not straight from when the friend you got it from did whatever she did to it that i can't remember. and peel the damn sticker off the passenger door.

other than that, good ad revision.

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
4/23/14 8:41 p.m.

New ad is a big improvement!

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/23/14 9:46 p.m.

great improvement … on the ad and the appearance of the truck

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
4/23/14 10:04 p.m.

Like others have said, much better, good luck.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
4/23/14 10:57 p.m.

Much better ad! GLWS

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/24/14 12:56 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: and damn you for fixing the ad as I typed. That's the one that will sell the truck though.

Hahaha... thanks.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/24/14 1:05 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
curtis73 wrote: So I'm now supposed to take a perfectly good, low-mileage vehicle...
Previously, this was a wrecked truck you got from a friend, and you've complained rather harshly about it. You asked for feedback from us about why we think it's not selling. We told you. I'm sorry you chose to upset yourself so much over our words.

Oh yeah, its safe to say I hate this truck. My issue was not that y'all were offering your opinions, its that it seemed like they were saying "there is a dent in the tailgate which means your $6000 truck is worth $2000 at best." I guess I would say there was a distinct lack of objectivity in some posts which led me to disregard them as actual advice and just view them as argumentative interjections from a standpoint of internet anonymity.

I see you had it up on ebay the other week. You got three offers. None were high enough? Much better CL add btw. At least in my opinion.

Highest Ebay offer was $3500. In fact, all three offers were from the same user; a $2500, 3000, and 3500.

Thanks for the confidence in the ad. It rubs me completely the wrong way. I have responded to a thousand CL ads like that only to find all the unadvertised flaws and it infuriated me. But we'll see how it goes.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/24/14 1:10 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Nice ad, Curtis. Night and day. I know that "dumbing down" the ad is stroking you the wrong way. Let me share a lesson I learned a long time ago... I was selling a running Super Beetle that was not worth much more than a parts car. It drove, but had a lot of rust, including strut towers that were badly rusted to the point of significant structural damage.... I learned a good lesson that day.

Not to mess with rusty VWs?

Just kidding. I get the meaning.

I'm working up to that point with the Scout project. I've decided to pull the head. If I see good bores, I'll get a $36 head gasket kit and rebuild the head myself and get it running. A running scout is money. If I pull the head and see crappy bores, I'll set the head on the passenger seat and take offers.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/24/14 1:10 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Ok, now 20 of us here email him and ask for more photos

I would hunt you down...

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/24/14 1:39 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
curtis73 wrote: I think the truck is worth $6500 all day everyday. This truck on a used car lot would have $7950 in the window. I happen to know that because I saw dozens of them when I was researching. I had a few strong bites when I had it listed at $7000. The fact that I'm down to $6000 is stupid. Going to $5500 is only possible because I want rid of this truck and I didn't pay much for it.
How much did YOU pay for it?

I'll be straight with you... I paid $4000 and put $500 into repairs. Give or take a few bucks, I have $4500 in it.

But, I don't buy a vehicle unless I can make a little money. That's not true of every vehicle, but I am intensely keen on that kind of thing. I have a knack for stumbling into cheap vehicles.

When I was married, I bought the wife cars that made her happy knowing they would lose some value; Scion xB, Mercedes E300 TD, but usually was able to sell them for close to what I paid. Careful and judicious purchasing has netted me a modest loss of $1300 of every single vehicle I ever bought and sold since my first car purchase in 1996. Buy cheap, sell high. Basically, I have paid $1300 to own 30-ish cars in 18 years. That only includes purchase price, recon cost, and selling price... not things like maintenance or insurance.

I'm pretty proud of that.

Best one was a 95 F250 Powerstroke. Purchased with 63,000 miles for $10k in 2000 from a used car lot. Wife sideswiped a pole, got an insurance check for $3000 and didn't fix it. Hooligans busted a window and stole the radio. Insurance gave me $1300 and I spent $100 in junkyard parts to replace it. Lady rear-ended me causing zero damage, but her insurance paid for a new bumper and the labor to install it (which I obviously didn't do) Drove it until it had 110k and sold it for $7100. I drove it for 4 years, drove it for 50k miles, and made over $1000 selling it.

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
4/24/14 11:20 a.m.

So it seems that KBB saying around 5 grand is about right in this case.....

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/27/14 10:30 p.m.

I feel like I just took a big dump.

Sold it this morning for $5900.

Strange thing is, it didn't sell on CL or because it was sitting in my friend's front yard near the swap meet. It sold because someone told someone that a buddy had a truck for sale. The guy drove up from Maryland to get it today.

Whew. Thank you all for the input.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
4/28/14 2:51 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I feel like I just took a big dump. Sold it this morning for $5900. Strange thing is, it didn't sell on CL or because it was sitting in my friend's front yard near the swap meet. It sold because someone told someone that a buddy had a truck for sale. The guy drove up from Maryland to get it today. Whew. Thank you all for the input.

Now you can buy my car

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/fsft-2013-kia-forte-sx/72128/page1/

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
4/28/14 3:42 p.m.

Congrats! Sometimes it just works out, you just needed the right person to come along.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/28/14 3:45 p.m.

yay!

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
4/28/14 8:21 p.m.

Congratulations!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
4/28/14 10:40 p.m.

Glad you unloaded it.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
4/28/14 11:23 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Congrats! Sometimes it just works out, you just needed the right person to come along.

Wish I could apply that to dating websites.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z777TZ3T9XDQBf36UGPtYq9cmKweq7pdOTXnJHjlH6vwvrHtZzYvsE9eZSj0FqdN