RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
9/15/24 12:43 p.m.
Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
9/16/24 9:21 a.m.

Very nice!  It seems Sarah adapted to gravity not holding the bow on the strings.  If that is even a factor.

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
9/16/24 9:49 a.m.

I wasn't expecting that quality of playing.  She sounds great.

As a musician and an engineer, what a dream.  Can you imagine the schedule, morning standup, meeting with management, solo with John Williams,  lunch, focus time, land space craft.

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
9/16/24 9:53 a.m.

Fun fact, other instruments that have been in the international space station include a flute, a keyboard, a guitar, a saxophone and, get this, a didgeridoo.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
9/16/24 10:34 a.m.

I wonder if any thought was given to the natural resonance of the windows?

Find Glass Breaking Sound Effect

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/16/24 10:57 a.m.
Noddaz said:

Very nice!  It seems Sarah adapted to gravity not holding the bow on the strings.  If that is even a factor.

It's been a long time since I played something with a bow, but IIRC most of the pressure comes from the musician. It doesn't take a LOT of pressure but the bow is very light. Relying purely on gravity to hold the bow down leads to a very thin sound and it has a tendency to bounce. At least, that's what I recall.

It would have been fun to find out in person, that's for sure. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/16/24 11:03 a.m.
RX Reven' said:

I wonder if any thought was given to the natural resonance of the windows?

Find Glass Breaking Sound Effect

I suspect you'll find that none of the opera singers sent into space have been sopranos.  And because in pop culture, a certain television program has stolen the word from the English language, I offer a refresher for those who may have forgotten the word's original meaning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soprano

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/16/24 11:06 a.m.
Paris Van Gorder said:

Fun fact, other instruments that have been in the international space station include a flute, a keyboard, a guitar, a saxophone and, get this, a didgeridoo.

Any piece of pipe can be a didgeridoo :) This particular video was filmed in a capsule in free orbit, they didn't get to visit the ISS. But they did get to go outside!

It's not the first music video from space. It's a great way to inspire people. I can't embed it, but here's Space Oddity by Commander Chris Hadfield.
https://youtu.be/pDyl6I6ESSw

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/16/24 11:07 a.m.

One of the nice things about being in space--if her fellow crew members ever tire of hearing her practice, they can simply insist that she do so outside. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Llv7JcncxQ1LP2qvQqOYjH7sMfZHEzjK8Ub7lwtWw8tbvj4k4FmHgAAQJv7WXK4O