bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 10:16 a.m.

What say you?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/29/13 10:22 a.m.

How portable are you talking about?

Does it have to be battery powered?
Does it have to fit in a backpack or laptop bag sort of thing? Or just a car?

There are cooler-sized things that people have made that have wheels, and there are little ~1 pound things. And everything in between.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 11:33 a.m.

In reply to scardeal:

Tell me what you have, why you bought it, and how much you like it.

hobiercr
hobiercr HalfDork
7/29/13 12:28 p.m.

My cousin has one of these (the regular, smaller Jambox) and it has an amazing sound. Bluetooth so no wires and you can put it anywhere in the room.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 1:12 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

I hear one of these yesterday and it also sounded really good. They seem like they are a similar size. I wonder how they compare?

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/bluetooth_speakers/soundlink_mini/index.jsp&perfsourceid=K22350&src=K22350

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/29/13 2:10 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to scardeal: Tell me what you have, why you bought it, and how much you like it.

I'm building something right now that is roughly the size of a stereo receiver. It plugs in, has a mini-amp and 2 speakers. You just plug in anything with a 3.5mm cord. I know you can add a battery to it, but it's not necessary for what I want to do with it.

I don't have schematics for it, but here's something similar (and much cheaper than what I'm doing):

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/sprite

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 2:18 p.m.

Watching with interest, finally broke down and bought a nano 16gb this weekend.

Using Foobar2000 to manage (no berkeleying iTunes crap for me), and for now using the AUX in the console of the car & some generic $50 speakers with a small subwoofer I've had for years at work. If someone recommends something affordable, I might switch myself.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/29/13 2:31 p.m.

BTW, what I intend to do with mine is to be able to plug in something on the back porch to play while I'm barbecuing. Trying to move a mini-amp or receiver and 2 speakers is cumbersome, and I'm too hardheaded to just use a crap-o-matic dock.

hobiercr
hobiercr HalfDork
7/29/13 4:12 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I bet they are fairly compatible. Bose makes good speakers (as well as good ads). The thing I liked about the Jambox was that is seemed pretty stout and well made. It is a hefty little sucker for the size so it's gotta have some good magnets.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/29/13 5:11 p.m.

Dunno if it's helpful, but home: Phillips dock for iphone (I'd assume they make one for the ipad?) Sounds really good. Way better than the old ones. I think mama paid $150 @ wally world.

At work: 67 cent stereo jack from monoprice in to old E36 M3ty receiver.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/30/13 7:02 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

I noticed that about the Bose unit also. Feels like it's made of lead.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/30/13 7:22 a.m.

FWIW, while cruising around the piles of parts and such at a motorcycle show, I happened to hear this on a fellas table. http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Micro-II-Ultra-Portable-Black/dp/B0096T7TQE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LM1DDPWK7FFA&coliid=I36C2AHCJ9ZMS1 Took me a moment to realize this was what I was hearing, because it sounded way too good and loud to be coming from this. He and I chatted a few moments about it. His wife had picked it up, and he loved it. Sure, it's not stereo, but so what (for the most part)?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/30/13 7:37 a.m.

Well that looks a little easier to carry anyway. One of the things I'm trying to avoid is bulkiness.
Anyone have any experience with an iMainGo XP? I like how it folds over the iPad for carrying, but have no idea how it sounds.

Jake
Jake Dork
7/30/13 8:49 a.m.

We have one of these. (new model? link - not that I promote Wal Mart, but they are everywhere...) It pretty much hangs around in the kitchen and my phone or chromebook or wife's iPad get plugged into it while we're cooking, with a Pandora stream on it. If I'll be on the deck for a long time or outside working on something, it often comes with. Cheap enough that if something happened to it, no heartbreak, but has proved to be pretty durable- we've had ours for a couple years and the kids haven't killed it yet. Sound quality is OK, though you do get some input distortion if you turn the volume up past about 80% on an iphone. Battery life is good, and it's dead simple: on/off switch, hardwired input cable, tiny amp and two speakers in an enclosure. Really almost nothing to break.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GBI7r1u3t1rTbteE5BYDa7nmbq4sMYtnbtkKD9NilaFTn4RARRaNyONfVdGyN811