1 2 3
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/15/22 10:42 p.m.

LINK

Daylight Savings Time - 1918 - 2022

no, don't rest in peace you miserable old cus!  Nobody liked you and we wish you died decades ago. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/15/22 10:47 p.m.

I can't read the article but in the news tonight they said November, 2023?  

Why the wait?  It's over?  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/22 10:51 p.m.

More accurately, RIP "standard time."

DST is what is staying, but I guess it will essentially "become" standard time if there is no more switch. Which I am happy about. 

Also, DST was eliminated once before, and then they changed their mind the next year and brought it back. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
3/15/22 11:16 p.m.

It's only passed the senate...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/15/22 11:19 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah this. DST is staying. Standard time goes away

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/22 11:42 p.m.

Nah...  it'll never get passed.  The people need something politically innocuous to complain about twice a year.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/16/22 12:35 a.m.

It'll make the US into the AZ of NA. All I want is consistency, and if that means a change twice a year EVERYWHERE that's fine. Now I'm going to have to remember if it's 2 hours or 3 to my family. Or will it be 1 or 2?

Dumb internet fads.  This was a not a problem until it became cool/Lolita stick to complain about it. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
3/16/22 1:16 a.m.

Up here in the great north, just south of Canada, DST is great in the summer, twilight past 10 pm and daylight around 6:30 am. In the winter though, with around 8 hours of daylight and with sunrise occurring after 8:00 am and sunset after 4:30 pm, not good. It's dangerous for all of the school kids that have to walk to school in the dark, what with all of the insane drivers out there.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/16/22 1:21 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Up here in the great north, just south of Canada, DST is great in the summer, twilight past 10 PM. In the winter though, with around 8 hours of daylight and with sunrise occurring after 8:00 am and sunset after 4:30 pm, not good. It's dangerous for all of the school kids that have to walk to school in the dark.

I thought the same thing when I lived in snow country. The extra hour in the morning also makes for more time to clear roads. I wonder why that point isn't made more often? Or is it that people would rather complain than have to change their minds?

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
3/16/22 1:27 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

I thought the same thing when I lived in snow country. The extra hour in the morning also makes for more time to clear roads. I wonder why that point isn't made more often? Or is it that people would rather complain than have to change their minds?

Don't you mean change their clocks? smiley

Rons
Rons HalfDork
3/16/22 1:28 a.m.

BC is set to follow suit to maintain time with Washington so we end up with a 9:11 am sunrise on Dec 21, but at least DST keeps the birds quiet TIL 4 am on Standard time they’d be chirping at 3 am.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/22 6:25 a.m.

Headlights have gotten better, there's reflective jackets, led headlamps to wear and most vehicles now have brake assist, or you could just, you know, have the school change the school hours during winter months. I'm strongly team DST. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/16/22 6:54 a.m.

I know, it's  not DST that's going away, and I know it has to pass the senate, but it's expected to pass easily.  
Keeping it aroung is an asinine thing we do. It's original purpose was dubious, and currently it's just something we do, and very nearly 0% of the population likes it. 

My MIL told me it went away, then came back. Why was it reinstated?  Does anyone know?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/16/22 8:21 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Up here in the great north, just south of Canada, DST is great in the summer, twilight past 10 pm and daylight around 6:30 am. In the winter though, with around 8 hours of daylight and with sunrise occurring after 8:00 am and sunset after 4:30 pm, not good. It's dangerous for all of the school kids that have to walk to school in the dark, what with all of the insane drivers out there.

Push school hours back an hour? 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
3/16/22 8:22 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Because children were waiting for the bus in the dark, and parents groups thought it was dangerous. At least that's what I've gathered from old newspapers, so I imagine it will face the same challenge because parents seem to be much more overprotective these days. 

I find that to be a stretch of an excuse, my entire high school career was waiting for the bus in the dark at 630am. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/16/22 9:10 a.m.
dean1484 said:
VolvoHeretic said:

This. I've never understood why we make teenagers (who need the most sleep of anyone) start school at 7am.

I'm also strongly pro-DST. I hate winter enough, but when it gets dark at 5pm, that just makes it worse.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/16/22 9:15 a.m.

passed -unanimously- in the senate! Wow. This is big for anyone with little kids especially. Nice.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/16/22 9:40 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to DrBoost :

Because children were waiting for the bus in the dark, and parents groups thought it was dangerous. At least that's what I've gathered from old newspapers,

I was in college that year, but yes this was the main argument.  

As mentioned by others above, the problem in northern climates is that with year round DST the sun won't come up until 9am or later during the winter.

I've never seen changing back and forth from standard to daylight savings as a big deal.  Do we need to also ban traveling from one time zone to another so people will feel better?

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/22 9:51 a.m.

Freaking dumb idea.  Michigan really should be on central time, it was only the early days of the auto industry wanting to be on the same time as the NY stock exchange that means we're in EST.  That means we're already an hour off of 'sun time' (ish) add in the stupidity of DST and we'll be two hours off sun time.  I grew up in Northern England where sun rise was already 8:30 in the middle of winter on standard time.  Why do we think we need all this extra sun in evening?  This crazy county already likes getting up early, quitting work early, and eating/going to be early compared with most first world countries, so whats so important about more sun light in the evenings?  Please settle on standard not daylight savings time.

Edit. - In other words I wish the OP's thread title was accurate.  RIP DST!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/16/22 9:55 a.m.

About damn time.  There's NO reason for daylight savings time to continue, just like there wasn't a reason for it to start to begin with

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/16/22 9:57 a.m.

Twice a year my kids are miserable shiny happy people due to this change. 

Make it go away. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/16/22 9:57 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
dean1484 said:
VolvoHeretic said:

This. I've never understood why we make teenagers (who need the most sleep of anyone) start school at 7am.

I'm also strongly pro-DST. I hate winter enough, but when it gets dark at 5pm, that just makes it worse.

Is that new? Teenagers starting school at 7am? I was in high school '96-00. School started at 7:55am and ended at 2:50am. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/16/22 10:02 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Not really a great comparison, honestly. Few people are traveling back and forth between timezones, and those that do it often are used to it - you just make sure you figure out what time you need to be there and adjust accordingly. You're not resetting your internal clock. But when you have nearly everyone in the country moving their internal clock forward or backward, it does have significant negative health impacts. I personally am still tired because of it, though I have the added issue of getting a toddler up and moving as well... A toddler that now won't go to sleep before 9, despite moving the opposite direction - she had a routine and now it is all sorts of messed up. She's a great kid, really wonderful, we never have any behavioral issues with her... Until this week. This morning was pretty good, so hopefully she's adjusted over the last two days. 

I never understood the change. In the winter, I was walking to school in the dark, and walking home in the dark. In the summer, I would be at the caddyshack for sunrise, and often be on the course or on the lake when it was going down. WTF difference does it make what time it is? It is summertime, if it is sunny, I'd be out. 

One thing that this is going to negatively impact, going to DST rather than standard time, is my local outdoor hockey rink. It is a legit rink, chillers underneath, zamboni, etc., it just happens to be outside. We had many instances in November and late February and March where the sun was beating down on the ice and just killing it; but by 7PM, it had set up enough to play. Now it may not set up until 8PM... Which doesn't sound like a big issue - just move the games an hour - but because it is in the middle of a residential neighborhood, the place has some noise ordinances that it may not be able to meet moving the games a hour. Small issue though.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/16/22 10:08 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Freaking dumb idea.  Michigan really should be on central time, it was only the early days of the auto industry wanting to be on the same time as the NY stock exchange that means we're in EST.  That means we're already an hour off of 'sun time' (ish) add in the stupidity of DST and we'll be two hours off sun time.  I grew up in Northern England where sun rise was already 8:30 in the middle of winter on standard time.  Why do we think we need all this extra sun in evening?  This crazy county already likes getting up early, quitting work early, and eating/going to be early compared with most first world countries, so whats so important about more sun light in the evenings?  Please settle on standard not daylight savings time.

Edit. - In other words I wish the OP's thread title was accurate.  RIP DST!

I agree that it should be standard time going forward, but we appear to be in a significant minority there. I'm just happy it is going to stop changing back and forth.

Michigan is on central time! Well, where my parents live in Michigan is. Add Indiana to the "should be central time" as well. My aunt lives in one of the Eastern time zone counties, and in the summer their sunset would be 10PM. Try telling an 8 year old boy that he has to go to bed when it is light out. Meanwhile, 30 minutes west of them, my other aunts and uncles live in a Central time zone county. They actually know someone who has a driveway and garage in Eastern, and a house in Central. 

wae
wae PowerDork
3/16/22 10:18 a.m.

I'll take anything if it means we stop diddling our clocks twice a year.  I'd rather just go to standard time such that "Eastern Time" was always just UTC-5, but if the price I have to pay to stop with the clock bullcrap is going to UTC-4, I'll pay it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q0wQFeFhCZ2qm2F2LBycJHVBfyZamwWFEOC6WD2558Rt5be7f3VqtCgfNS3MOBIn