1 2 3 4 5
novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/16/12 5:27 p.m.

my retirement plan. can you believe that the store in town that my mom works at had boxes of these, just sitting on the shelf?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/16/12 5:29 p.m.

I guess this means my quest for a Chocodile has officially come to an end.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
11/16/12 5:34 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: I guess this means my quest for a Chocodile has officially come to an end.

You could always buy the rights and produce them.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
11/16/12 5:42 p.m.

Tiff called me and she couldn't find any in town. We were going to watch Zombieland and have a Twinkie so much for that idea.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
11/16/12 6:20 p.m.

WHEW! Allllmost got sucked in. Then I remembered I could not berkeleying possibly care less.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
11/16/12 7:27 p.m.

Lazy union bastidges. I mean, greedy corporate CEOs. Who cares whose fault it is (both, duh) I'm upset I don't get these anymore.

I like pie.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/16/12 7:44 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: Lazy union bastidges. I mean, greedy corporate CEOs. Who cares whose fault it is (both, duh) I'm upset I don't get these anymore. I like pie.

geezus, those were awesome... in a junk food kinda way

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/16/12 8:46 p.m.

I read the whole article earlier on Money's webpage. The thing that ticked the unions off was the fact they were forced to make concessions while the upper managment got a 300% raise.

The big problem with Hostess though, was the hodgepodge of businesses it was made up of. Because of all the smaller companies it had absorbed over the years, it's legacy costs are STAGGERING.

You can attribute this to bad management.. and not recently management either. this goes back to their first bankruptcy

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
11/16/12 8:53 p.m.

I have had maybe 10 Twinkies in my almost 30 years alive. I did however try to find some tonight and came up empty after 4 stores. The Hostess "area" in the stores looked like the bread and bottled water isles before a hurricane.

rainydave
rainydave New Reader
11/16/12 9:10 p.m.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
11/16/12 9:22 p.m.

Maybe whoever buys the name will bring back Banana Flips an the OG Banana Twinkie.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
11/16/12 9:29 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I still get oddball looks when I ask for a dog with cole slaw on it. Picked up that habit from a hole-in-the-wall steamed hot dog stand in Lachute, Quebec years ago.

We've done that in the south for years. I refuse to eat a hot dog or pulled pork sandwich without slaw on it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/16/12 9:38 p.m.

This happened to heavy Chicago union based Fannie May Candies. They closed it all down, sold the name and recipes, and reopened it all with manufacturing NOT in Chicago. We all forgot and all ran back to buy the candy again. We will see all this junk food again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_May

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
11/16/12 10:53 p.m.

THERE AIN'T NO TWINKIES LEFT ANYWHERE! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I stopped by my local FailMart and then a real grocery store and while they had Hostess products the Twinkies section was all scratched up with the marks of all the many people looking desperately for that last Twinkie.

I didn't think much of it, but when sitting down for dinner the couple at the table next to us told us that it was on the news that there'd been a mad rush for Twinkies and there were none to be had anywhere close by.

Maybe someone will bronze some and sell them as souvenirs so I can tell my grandkids one day about this great thing we used to have called a Twinkie. Ahh, those were the good old days.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/17/12 12:50 a.m.

Millions to be made on E-Bay. I'm not berkeleying kidding. Go look.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
11/17/12 8:49 a.m.

Forget twinkies, no one else makes these, in orange at least.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/17/12 8:55 a.m.

Wow. One lot of 5 unopened boxes of 10 had 21 bids and was up to $400.00 at ~ 9:30 AM 11/17. I think in my entire life I have eaten two or three Twinkies, don't really like them. IIRC they were like 50 cents apiece. It boggles me that someone is that desperate they would pay $8 apiece for them

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/17/12 8:58 a.m.

I agree Curmudgeon. I have not eaten a twinkie since my grade school days... 30 years ago

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/17/12 9:01 a.m.

Don't forget, the quickest way to clog those arteries:

The deep fried twinkie

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/17/12 9:05 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Don't forget, the quickest way to clog those arteries: The deep fried twinkie

thanks, now I do not need to eat today

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/17/12 10:11 a.m.

Don't forget the chocolate sauce.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/17/12 10:30 a.m.

that is a waste of perfectly good chocolate

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
11/17/12 10:43 a.m.

So for those of you trying to misdirect all the blame for Hostesses demise to some nameless company that purchased it and was stripping it at the expense of the worker, here's a little Financial history. I hardly think owning the company since 1995 and trying to run it to make a profit for years would constitute buying the company just to strip it and try to make themselves a fortune.

Financial History

Founded in 1930, the Interstate Bakeries Corporation launched and acquired dozens of other brands over several decades, including the 1995 acquisition of Taggart Bakeries, the original creator of Wonder Bread and Hostess snack cakes including Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Ho Hos. After recovering from its first bankruptcy that lasted over five years from 2004 to 2009, the company rebranded itself as Hostess Brands, Inc. However, just over two years later in January 2012, the company filed for a second Chapter 11 bankruptcy. After some executive changes, the company had to reevaluate their employees’ wages and benefits, attempting to make large cuts in their employees’ pay in order to save their pensions.[2] However, these talks did not go well and in November, approximately 6,600 employees who are members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers’ International Union went on strike.

The moral to this story is you can't get blood out of a turnip.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/17/12 10:49 a.m.

you missed some Carguy. The guy who bought it from Hostess was a union supporter.. but due to changes in lifestyle, increases in production costs due to materials costs and union legacy costs (not blaming the unions.. just that Hostess had to deal with close to 40 different unions thanks to their buying up of different brands) they filed for bankruptcy and recieved moneys from a couple of groups that specialize in financing failing businesses.

the Original buyer of Hostess is all but out of the picture now. His company may own it in name, but his share is so far overshadowed by the holding companies, he does not even get to vote on union contracts.

The two holding companies that control Hostess have no interest in keeping the company alive. They will make the same amount of money from breaking the company up and selling off the assets as they would getting it back into the black

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/17/12 11:29 a.m.

so... refused to take pay cuts that would have A: saved their pensions and B: ALSO saved their jobs ..... oh well you gotta love union management ( since they're the ones that tell the workers how to vote )

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lonmv3opuVwUlH3FYCJU7Bi1X2M6EQ5FBWgCmvt3Nb6YoMLzdUORp0DJfTtt3Mn6