donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/23/12 7:07 p.m.

Rooted my wife's kindle fire finally... and installed an android jellybean rom based off the nexus7 on it...

Why did I wait so long?

Makes it so much more usable... even have seperate browsers so I can have my own stuff saved... I think I'll WOR on getting my own nexus7 for myself down the road...

Of you have an older kindle fire look into it... it makes the fire so much more usable.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
12/23/12 7:42 p.m.

Please explain for the computer illiterate. I have a Kindle Fire but have no idea what you are talking about.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/23/12 7:45 p.m.

Bassicly I made it into a full tablet... like one of the android tablets made by Asus, Acer, Samsung etc... a grassroots hack

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
12/23/12 7:48 p.m.

Still way over my head LOL. Maybe a link to something or a step by step would help. You've made me very curious as to what I'm missing out on.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/23/12 7:49 p.m.

Will post the link when I'm back home

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
12/23/12 7:52 p.m.

I quickly scanned this as "roasted kindle fire". Was going to suggest warranty claim.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
12/23/12 9:40 p.m.

Personally, I'm waiting to be able to port WebOS onto my Razr... and maybe a cheap tablet. (I hate Android!)

motomoron
motomoron Dork
12/23/12 10:01 p.m.

I'm c0mp00tur ignorant despite sitting in front of one while driving SolidWorks for a living. That said - when my wife got a Kindle Fire, she gave me her rooted/android previous generation Kindle, and it's excellent.. For checking mail, facebook, GRM, and my current read, in bed, it's perfect.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
12/23/12 10:20 p.m.

Reading this on a nexus 7. Best purchase I've made in a while. Perfect size (much like kindle size). Awesome for travel and general browsing! I feel like tablets are definitely not a necessity but their damn nice if you can afford one.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/24/12 12:37 a.m.

ya I didn't think i'd like the size... but the more I use it the more I like it... still prefer the laptop for couch surfing with replies....

anyway... this is good info for starters http://liliputing.com/2012/07/how-to-install-android-4-1-jelly-bean-on-the-kindle-fire.html

at minimum i'd root it and install the google app store/market place

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
12/24/12 8:11 a.m.

Hmm, not really seeing much that I'm missing from stock.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
12/24/12 10:51 a.m.

Neat. I got my kid a new kindle fire for christmas, which means my old one (which I have always griped about the UI on) might have this happening to it soon.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/24/12 2:56 p.m.

Ya stock kindle fire ui is rubbish....if you use an android phone you quickly see how much the Amazon android market is missing vs googles market

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/24/12 11:56 p.m.

Let me know when you can load iOS, I find Android to be good for nothing but frustration

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
12/25/12 12:08 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Let me know when you can load iOS, I find Android to be good for nothing but frustration

Funny, I feel the same about iOS. I've been running android since the TMO G1 came out. I have to support a bunch of iPhones/iPads at work and hate them.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
12/25/12 2:05 a.m.

heheheh....

Wife got an iPad for Christmas. As soon as she gets it up and running, synced and loads a few nookbooks onto it, Ima root her never-to-be-used-again nook color.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/25/12 12:43 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: heheheh.... Wife got an iPad for Christmas. As soon as she gets it up and running, synced and loads a few nookbooks onto it, Ima root her never-to-be-used-again nook color.

I want to say of was a friend rooting a nook color or tablet is when I first looked into rooting...

As for iOS... u can keep it...

jstand
jstand Reader
12/25/12 5:08 p.m.

If you don't want to commit to rooting your nook color, you can boot off a microSD. Especially if concerned about warranty.

I created a bootable microSD with android (cyanogen) for my nook color.

With the card in I'm running android with the google play store,if I boot with the MicroSD removed it boots to the factory nook OS.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
12/25/12 7:09 p.m.

I'm reading this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/26/12 12:21 a.m.

Just rooted my wife's Nook Tablet. Easy as pie. She's giggling now and loading all sorts of stuff she couldn't before. Best part is the B&N stuff is still there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s7VIhVGvG2gUQ8grDBpeVzKIRk2qDBJddJ7q4BxMyOK0n4JoBUVNsVjSFS8OM3Uk