1 2
MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
3/10/10 10:53 p.m.

That makes the bald eagle in me shed a tear.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/11/10 12:27 a.m.
MitchellC wrote:
TJ wrote: Next to an R34
Does anyone else enjoy seeing American performance cars overseas?

And another yep. I have a few copies of Japanese magazines for fans of American cars--features on cop car Caprices, ads for BFG tires and Crager wheels, coverage from American car meets, etc. Good stuff.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/11/10 4:54 a.m.

There's a picture of a 3rd gen Camaro floating around...

It's blue, and it's on Bronze Volk TE37s. It's in Japan, and was outfitted for a variant of the JGTC. It's pretty awesome. You would think a "jdm camaro" would look horrible. It doesn't.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
3/11/10 7:38 a.m.

I have a different issue with the GTR. First I think it's ugly, Aztek rivaling ugly in my book, but that's personal preference so doesn't count. My issue is everything I've read about the ride. Everyone say's it's rock rock rock solid and the springs have been replaced by chunks of granite. I just don't see the point. If I were spending that much on a car weighing as much as a small continent with enough driver controls that I can go to sleep and wake up in Florida, I want to be able to do just that, in comfort. I just can't see the point in a sports/GT car that would give me back ach and shatter my teeth in a 30 min ride. For that sort of money I'd buy a really nice GT car and an Elise or similar for the track.

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
3/11/10 3:23 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I just can't see the point in a sports/GT car that would give me back ach and shatter my teeth in a 30 min ride. For that sort of money I'd buy a really nice GT car and an Elise or similar for the track.

You're being far too reasonable. Don't you know that you're supposed to be a happy consumer who wants to drop $70k+ on the automotive flavor of the month?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
3/11/10 4:07 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I just can't see the point in a sports/GT car that would give me back ach and shatter my teeth in a 30 min ride. For that sort of money I'd buy a really nice GT car and an Elise or similar for the track.
You're being far too reasonable. Don't you know that you're supposed to be a happy consumer who wants to drop $70k+ on the automotive flavor of the month?

I have no theoretical problem with dropping $70k on the flavour of the month, or I wont once I hit the powerball, I'd just object if said flavour is doggy doo doo

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/11/10 6:27 p.m.

I put some mileage on a GTR, and I honestly don't recall the ride being that harsh. It is stupid-fast in a straight line, though--way too fast for a car that weighs that much.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/12/10 9:02 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I put some mileage on a GTR, and I honestly don't recall the ride being that harsh. It is stupid-fast in a straight line, though--way too fast for a car that weighs that much.

Yep. I have video that i took of one running an 11.3 quarter mile. BONE STOCK WITH PAPER PLATES.

WTFBBQ.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
3/12/10 3:05 p.m.

The guitar player in my dads band and long time friend, jokingly said I could take his GTR out for a trackday at Hallett. Then later said he was serious.

I'm going to drop in on band practice this weekend and inform of the trackday coming up in two weeks and that I'd like to collect on his offer.

Not that I actually expect him too, but I'm still going go give it a shot.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
3/12/10 3:13 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Yep. I have video that i took of one running an 11.3 quarter mile. BONE STOCK WITH PAPER PLATES. WTFBBQ.

Lucky for the owner he was on paper tags, Nissan probably can't trace him through the license plate and invalidate his warranty now

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/12/10 4:36 p.m.
TJ wrote: I am always surprised by how large GT-R's are...the styling is bleh to me, the performance numbers I won't argue with, but look at one sitting at a traffic light - they are huge cars

this is exactly why I can't understand all the props being given to the new Camaro... it's berkeley huge...

thread jack over, back to you regularly scheduled programing.....

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
3/12/10 5:08 p.m.
MitchellC wrote:

Yep, I saw an awesomely done up 3rd gen IROC(dropped, caged, sounded healthy), when I was at Fuji Speedway during my Tokyo Auto Salon trip it was trippy seeing it on a a set of gram lights wheels....not used to seeing them on an american car...but they sure can pull it off.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/12/10 5:14 p.m.
RoadWarrior wrote:
MitchellC wrote:
Yep, I saw an awesomely done up 3rd gen IROC(dropped, caged, sounded healthy), when I was at Fuji Speedway during my Tokyo Auto Salon trip it was trippy seeing it on a a set of gram lights wheels....not used to seeing them on an american car...but they sure can pull it off.

Maybe that's the car i was talking about. Was it blue?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/12/10 5:54 p.m.

Saw a pair of GTRs at the local Nissan dealer a little while back and my biggest problem? It just didn't excite me to look at them. While they are certainly fast etc the looks... well, Dave said it best, it looks like it's competing with the Suburban.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/12/10 7:02 p.m.

you know, a JDM style American Muscle car actually sounds like it would be a neat build. I bet you would never find another one like it.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/12/10 7:56 p.m.

I was driving thru Nashville at a "few" over the speed limit and a new GT-R blasted past me like I was standing still. He must have been doing 110-120mph.

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
3/12/10 8:24 p.m.

I don't really mind the fact that it's big. I'm a big guy and having room is nice. I just think its blah. Cadillac did a better job at making angles look good. It just rubbed me the wrong way. Then again if I ever drove one I could probably over look the ugly.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/12/10 10:03 p.m.

A couple of months ago I stopped by a speed/restoration shop to pick up an intake for my Mazdaspeed3. One of the guys there was working on a GT-R. In the short time the owner had it it had been riced pretty badly with fleaBay intakes, no-name rubber band tires, keyed doors, bumpin' system, and a carbon-fiber park bench wing complete with Home Depot hole-filler-cap-thingies where the stock spoiler used to bolt-in. If I had facepalmed any harder I would have taken my head off. Luckily, it was in the process of being de-riced (decent intake replaced the fleaBay part, 5Zigen exhaust, etc.).

One of the guys at the shop said it was the fastest car he had ever driven- even faster than a Ferrari 360 Modena. Even so, it just didn't do anything for me- and I like modern Japanese cars. It seemed like some sort of hi-tech conveyance and not a car. Even the exhaust sounded more like a spaceship than a car. I was more interested in the Lamborghini 350GT and BMW 3.0CS and 1600 at the shop than the GT-R.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/12/10 10:19 p.m.

I borrowed my friend's R34 on my last trip to Oz, it was tricked and made around 700hp, that car was fun and fast, yet the driver still had control of it.

the new GTR leaves me cold also, I would rather buy a E39 M5, a 69 Mustang Mach 1 and pay of my house with the change.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ljb6teSCbSXtngwURgnrUZjNBNMSzjIRxnVl7vPRYsR3Rpxpoi3kfizz1brOnstU