fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/17/12 12:04 p.m.

I've got a software conference coming up in Portland and I'm think about flying into Seattle doing a few quick hours of sight seeing, maybe hitting up the Needle, and then heading down to Portland.

Do I have any mass transit options between these two cities? Google tells me it's a 3-hour drive down 5 so I could rent a car and drive if there aren't any other good (and economical) options but I really won't need a car once in Portland.

Ideas? Other things to see or do in Seattle within a 6-hour-ish timeframe?

ransom
ransom SuperDork
7/17/12 12:17 p.m.

Depending on your interests, you might also consider Pike Place Market, which can be kind of interesting (and tasty), or watching boats go through the locks. Or the Experience Music Project.

Anyhow, to your actual question, Amtrak from Seattle to Portland looks to be about $40-50.

It might be worth looking into some of the small airlines that specialize in that hop. Back to the airport, but it would make for a short transition. Huh... Confusingly, SeaPort airlines, which I think used to, no longer lists Seattle...

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
7/17/12 12:36 p.m.

Amtrak through here is amazingly good. I've ridden it numerous times (though Seattle-to-Bellingham is far prettier).

Plus I can wave at you from work you pull through Kelso station

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/17/12 1:20 p.m.

There's also Greyhound, which is the alternative method when the train can't make the trek.

There are airlines that fly between the two cities:

Alaska Airlines Flights Horizon Air Flights United Flights Northwest Airlines Flights Delta Airlines Flights American Airlines Flights

Might be worth checking online to see if there are any cheap tickets available.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
7/17/12 1:34 p.m.

+1 on the Amtrak, if you have the time. It will likely take a bit longer than driving (unless you just happen to catch one of those random days when it takes 5 hours to get from Seattle to Tacoma), but the area is beautiful this time of year and you won't have to deal with the hassle of Seattle and Portland traffic.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/17/12 1:46 p.m.

I'm liking the train idea and the cost is cheaper than renting, fuel, parking, etc. Trip is in mid-September so I've got a little time to plan.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
7/17/12 6:14 p.m.

I traveled Amtrak last December for the first time and I was extremely pleased. I much preferred it to traveling by plane or automobile; it was much less stressful than either. In a lot of cities that the train passed through, the station was really central within the city. Keep that in mind when calculating travel time.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/18/12 10:33 a.m.

Greyhound has a new bus service; Bolt...

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Bolt-gives-Amtrak-a-run-for-its-money/rLlvZm90N0KTrNxwK3AQKQ.cspx

Potentially cheaper service, yada yada.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
7/18/12 3:30 p.m.

Train is definitely a cool ride. Plus you can drink and watch beautiful scenery and sit next to pretty girls and make them uncomfortable.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
7/18/12 4:04 p.m.

I will third the train. Much nicer then driving or flying.

Look into the business class which gives you power outlets a fold out tray, a small snack and maybe wi-fi.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/18/12 5:50 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I will third the train. Much nicer then driving or flying. Look into the business class which gives you power outlets a fold out tray, a small snack and maybe wi-fi. One thing to bear in mind about flying is that you'll need to get from/to the airport. If you decide to do this, then take the Link Light Rail system downtown. If you opt to rent a car at the airport, or take a cab, then you'll be eating away some extra time. If you're mostly interested in downtown stuff, a car isn't really necessary.

The Seattle-to-Portland train is nice, but the wi-fi is a joke. You shouldn't have any expectations of a continuous or strong signal whatsoever.

Driving to Seattle for the day, then back, is an awful lot of driving. Coming south out of Seattle in the afternoon can make you wish you had a private helicopter, especially on a Friday.

Besides cars, what are you interested in? Lots to do in Seattle...

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/18/12 8:18 p.m.

Shorty's in Seattle is a nice bar with a ton of really nice pinball machines, worth checking out if you're into it.

The best fish and chips I've ever had is at the Pike Street Fish Fry.

In Portland, Powell's Books is well worth checking out if you're at all into books.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
7/19/12 9:35 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Train is definitely a cool ride. Plus you can drink and watch beautiful scenery and sit next to pretty girls and make them uncomfortable.

This reminds me; bring your own liquor. The drinks are ridiculously expensive. I recall thinking that a glass of scotch would have been perfect while peering out the window.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/19/12 12:01 p.m.

In Portland: OMSI, Rose Garden, Portland Zoo, Japanese Garden, nearly any brewery (McMenamins, Lucky Labrador, Widmer), PIR <- most of this list is reachable via Light Rail or Bus from Downtown (Union Station).

I might be able to meet up with you if you'd like to hang out with another GRM Dork.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
7/19/12 12:32 p.m.

From Here and tell me if it's good.

Pastrami Cheese Fries — Kenny & Zuke’s, Portland, Ore. Kenny & Zuke's has made a name for itself by serving authentic Jewish deli food using ingredients made in-house the old-fashioned way — from the pickles to the rye bread, and certainly the pastrami. This dish features Kenny & Zuke’s signature pastrami, piled high atop a heaping bed of fries and topped with melted Swiss cheese.
turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/19/12 2:04 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: From Here and tell me if it's good.
Pastrami Cheese Fries — Kenny & Zuke’s, Portland, Ore. Kenny & Zuke's has made a name for itself by serving authentic Jewish deli food using ingredients made in-house the old-fashioned way — from the pickles to the rye bread, and certainly the pastrami. This dish features Kenny & Zuke’s signature pastrami, piled high atop a heaping bed of fries and topped with melted Swiss cheese.

http://www.kennyandzukes.com/

SW 10th and Stark in Downtown.

Also, if you like Wings, there is Fire on the Mountain. Hand made sauces and they quite simply rock.

http://www.portlandwings.com

If you're a donut lover, check out Voodoo Donuts. I highly recommend the Bacon Maple bar :)

http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php

While in Seattle hit up Pike's Market and get yourself some Piroshki's for the train trip ;)

http://www.piroshkybakery.com/

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/24/12 1:16 p.m.

OK, tickets to Seattle are significantly cheaper than to Portland (about 20-25% cheaper) so this is getting closer to happening.

I'm not a big traveller so help me out with this dumb question, I'm going to be in Portland for a full week so I'm going to have more than just a carry-on. Will the airport or train station have large lockers I could rent to stash my luggage while in Seattle and sightseeing before heading south to Portland?

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/24/12 1:21 p.m.

Haven't seen working lockers at an airport in quite a long time...thanks TSA

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/24/12 1:37 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: OK, tickets to Seattle are significantly cheaper than to Portland (about 20-25% cheaper) so this is getting closer to happening. I'm not a big traveller so help me out with this dumb question, I'm going to be in Portland for a full week so I'm going to have more than just a carry-on. Will the airport or train station have large lockers I could rent to stash my luggage while in Seattle and sightseeing before heading south to Portland?

Nope, unfortunately not.

If you're staying at a Hotel, they'll hold them for you.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/24/12 3:12 p.m.

Hotel is in Portland.... hmmm, will have to think about this more

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6kDG4DqFbo0mo94ZZ2lp8mhojsxJUa9wnjTmWjy5fjjtvGBr3GWRN9PjeUTxOiGc