wayslow
wayslow New Reader
10/28/09 2:13 p.m.

My youngest has been asking about getting a slot car track. Being a dedicated and devoted father I immediately started looking into it. We have a large unused space at the end of one of our basement rooms so I figure that 1/32 scale is the best way to go.

My question is should I stick with the tried and true slotcar track or jump into the digital stuff. I like the idea of lane changes and multiple cars on the same track but what about reliability?

Thanks

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
10/28/09 2:22 p.m.

I've raced 1/24, 1/32 and HO and I prefer HO. 1/24 just takes up way too much room. 1/32 might be easier for the little guy to put back in the slot, but the cars can be kinda pricy and some are almost too nice to race. However they might be easier to drive as they are somewhat slower than HO, but the off track events can be spectacular (I held the distance record at a local track with a rental MINI, forgot to lift at the end of the straight used the barrier as a ramp). Would be a good set up if space isn't too much of an issue. If space and money are an issue, AFX HO is the way to go. Don't know if they have the car selection they did back in the day, but I think Johnny Lightining has that covered.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/28/09 2:31 p.m.

The Scalextric cars may be a little pricey, but holy crap are they tough. Mine has survived countless 4 ft. drops at speed onto concrete.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
10/28/09 6:23 p.m.

i say 1/32 and forget about digital. Make sure its going to stick before the cash outlay..

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/28/09 7:58 p.m.

1/32 have really come a long way, but HO is where it's at for home enjoyment. The car selection is out of this world and the range of racing chassis has everything from old school Thunderjets (no traction magnets so they drift) to the latest 440X3, A/FX, and Super G-Plus chassis that can literally race upside down for the entire course.

I love the detail and the selection of the original A/FX and G-Plus cars from Aurora. Some of the greatest F1 and Sports Racers of all time in incredible detail! The HO industry as a whole has had a major comeback as of late thanks to Johnny Lightning / Round 2 / Model Motoring. Being able to race new "vintage" T-Jets is pretty awesome.

Anyways, grab the Tomy track (4 or 6 lanes is very easy to do) and start collecting cars. Track can be had stupid cheap second hand and is easily setup and changed.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
10/28/09 8:11 p.m.

my dad still has many model motoring track from the 60's he found at garage sales and other track they he picked up many years ago when our house was where all the teenagers would hand out in the 80's. we use to have 3 tracks set up on a 4 x 6 section of plywood in the garage or even in the house at times growing up. it would be a site to get all 3 tracks working with the 4 way and the crashes sometimes that happened....

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
10/28/09 8:12 p.m.

Holy crap, I didn't know there was any HO setups still available.

I used to have a Tyco "Cliff Hanger" set with wall climbing section and complete verticle loop. That was good stuff. Tyco hop-up packs with hot motors and different tires. . .

Time to do a little Google research. . .

Toyman01
Toyman01 HalfDork
10/28/09 8:41 p.m.

Had a Scalextrics set 15 years ago with my son. It was a blast except for the fact that the tracks were a PITA to put together and take apart. If they are using the same track, make sure you have room to set it up and leave it for long periods of time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/28/09 9:24 p.m.

I'll also vote for non-digital 1/32. It just works. Plus you can always add digital later.

karlt_10
karlt_10 New Reader
10/28/09 9:36 p.m.

My brother & I have a pretty nice HO set-up. We use only Lifelike cars- several nice Porsches, Vettes, Mercedes E-class DTM cars, etc to choose from. Some are long out of production and must be found, but the cars stick like a mother.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
10/28/09 10:31 p.m.

Johny Lightning X-traction are the best HO cars IMO they are reproductions of AFX magnatractions from the 70's. They are kind of like T-Jets with a bit of magnetic down force, but not stupid down force like super-g + and tyco cars. I also like the original AFX super-g too, but I don't think that they are being reproduced, and I wouldn't reccomend vintage cars for young kids. FWIW 1/32 scale cars aren't that far off of reproduction HOs price wise (for kid friendly lower end cars) space is the limiting factor for them.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
10/28/09 11:08 p.m.

Get the super magnets. Attach track to ceiling. Race. Extra points for glow in the dark.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
10/28/09 11:26 p.m.

Me and my father bought the two biggest (at the time) Carrera tracks and combined them. Built a table out of wood with raised plexiglass sides so the cars wouldn't fly off the track. Great fun. Need to dig that up now that my parents have a basement

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
10/29/09 6:06 a.m.

I don't have too much to add except that I used to race 1/24th scale at the local track before they closed. Those cars are actually quite fast - 30-35 mph straightaway speeds for their "stock" cars. The track was plywood.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
10/29/09 11:04 a.m.

go here...

www.homeracingworld.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAcQrtRzdKIfAq6bFUbulKeGg7bydgcpmWFkz3UmBMBVLQnLjqhx2VvPIci85XHy