Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/19/14 10:20 a.m.

Is it like that everywhere or just in Texas? If it's like that everywhere, why?

Two separate employees at the DMV told my wife that she had to have a Texas vehicle registration in her name to get her license transferred to this state, if she doesn't have one she can only get a state ID. That doesn't sound right to me...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/19/14 10:24 a.m.

Shouldnt be a big deal...Correct me if Im wrong, but when you get off the plane in Dallas/Ft Worth, they hand you the keys to your very own 1986 Ford pickup, right?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
9/19/14 10:25 a.m.

That way, they can keep poor people from voting. Flounder

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/19/14 10:34 a.m.

First place I've heard of that requires this. Ever. I've got driver's licenses for 3 different countries without having a car there, including a temp license for the entire USA.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/19/14 10:36 a.m.

She has one we're just waiting on the paperwork to come back from the state. Just doesn't seem right that you can't get your L's without owning a car though.

If I didn't have the bike I don't know what I would have done because I don't own another vehicle, the company provides me with one.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/19/14 10:39 a.m.

I just checked with someone who did it without owning a personal car and they had no problems. Either she misunderstood them or they're berkeleying with her.

PeteD
PeteD New Reader
9/19/14 10:45 a.m.

Here in CT you don't have to own a car to get a driver's license. For example, my 17yo son got his license by talking the test in the car from his driving school.

-- Pete

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
9/19/14 10:56 a.m.

Sounds wacky to me. You should get license FIRST, then car. What good is car if no have license???

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/19/14 11:01 a.m.

Yeah, here in SC you don't have to own a vehicle to get a license. The car you use for the driving test need not be registered to the person taking the test but a current plate/registration/insurance ID must be shown. People use driving school cars all the time for them and my kid's car is registered to me, not her.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/19/14 11:04 a.m.

From http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/applyforlicense.htm

Individuals applying for their first Texas driver license must: Gather documents that verify their identity, Social Security Number, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, and Texas residency.
Complete the application. (This form is also available at any driver license office.) Present either: Proof of Texas vehicle registration (only if a new Texas resident) and evidence of financial responsibility for each vehicle owned by the applicant or A statement affirming that the applicant does not own a motor vehicle. Apply in person at any driver license office and bring the required documents and fees. Pass the knowledge and driving tests, unless exempt. (Read about testing in other languages.)

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/19/14 11:08 a.m.

I think she is confused.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/19/14 11:08 a.m.

That makes sense. They either want your cars registered in your home state or proof that you don't have a car. It probably cuts down on people claiming to be Texas residents for tax purposes.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/20/14 6:53 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: That way, they can keep poor people from voting. Flounder

State ID is probably cheaper to get than the license. Doesn't really work as flounder.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
9/20/14 6:59 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Is it like that everywhere or just in Texas? If it's like that everywhere, why? Two separate employees at the DMV told my wife that she had to have a Texas vehicle registration in her name to get her license transferred to this state, if she doesn't have one she can only get a state ID. That doesn't sound right to me...

Must be a Blonde

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
9/20/14 7:10 p.m.

Move to British Columbia, you don't even have to be literate to be given a driver's license here.

Or, you can print your own: http://www.richmond-news.com/news/thousands-of-illegal-chinese-motorists-could-be-driving-in-richmond-1.947451

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/20/14 8:07 p.m.

There is very frequently bad information at the drivers license office here in Texas. When I got mine 15 years ago they wouldn't let me use a US passport as proof of ID. They would let me use a utility bill in my name or a paycheck stub though. It turns out the lady working the counter that day was wrong.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/20/14 8:50 p.m.

The DMV is staffed by unknowledgeble, unhelpful idiots? Say it isn't so!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/20/14 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

And in Ontario you don't need a driver's license to get plates for a vehicle.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/20/14 10:59 p.m.

One more reason to avoid texas?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/21/14 7:20 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: The DMV is staffed by unknowledgeble, unhelpful idiots? Say it isn't so!

Sounds like the idiocy my father is going through in NJ. He moved up from florida, went to the DMV with his 6 points of ID (all NJ licenses are "enhanced") and he did not make it past the lady at the first desk who was insistent that his Birth certificate was not real. Even though it is embossed with the great seal of PA and is 65 years old.. she was certain that it was "just something they give the parents when a baby is born"

um... yes, like a birth certificate?

I go through that too.. but my Birth Certificate is from Spain.. so I expect some hassle

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/21/14 8:58 a.m.

Just try another BMV. I hate answer-shoppers at work, but sometimes it's the only way to get through any government "services."

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/21/14 9:12 a.m.

It's because of the 25 dollars is my guess

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/21/14 10:18 a.m.
Wally wrote: That makes sense. They either want your cars registered in your home state or proof that you don't have a car. It probably cuts down on people claiming to be Texas residents for tax purposes.

Umm... Not really.

It's says they need "A statement" saying you don't own a vehicle.

It doesn't even say a written statement. Duh.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
9/22/14 7:08 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: And in Ontario you don't need a driver's license to get plates for a vehicle.

NC DMV has never asked me for a DL when I've gotten plates …..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/22/14 7:38 a.m.
Grizz wrote: It's because of the 25 dollars is my guess

A clever way of raising taxes without raising taxes. George Wallace did it in AL years ago and called it revenue enhancements.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qunjq8nr5QTIl93RhU5lZsK9mDb7g24W3H4yvhzXbQeiskfoSvOtFqCIBnOaXsM0