1 2
stanger_missle
stanger_missle Dork
3/8/16 5:12 p.m.

You guys ever watch the Smithsonian Channel?

I had it when I had cable in Tampa but DirecTV doesn't seem to carry it

I loved that channel. Lots of hisory and science shows. I really enjoyed Aerial America. I wish I could still get it .

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/8/16 5:24 p.m.

Directv does carry Smithsonian, but only as part of some HD package (that of course costs extra). I've enjoyed it during the free previews.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
3/8/16 5:52 p.m.

One of the many reasons I've long since dropped cable/dish.

Thanks to a Roku and a Kodi device connected to our TV, we can watch nearly anything we want.

Even live sports are starting to make streaming available, which was one of the last reasons many state why they hold onto their subscriptions.

https://www.roku.com/whats-on

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/best-kodi-addons-2016/

Now the drawback is that it is extremely easy to get stuck binge watching an entire series. Not too mention that sometimes deciding on something to watch can be difficult as well.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
3/9/16 1:49 p.m.

I DVR'd the season and watched the finale with damn near a lump in my throat and couldn't really figure out why. Done, i went to live TV, on Science channel, and they are airing unexplained files. Scrolling on through a couple psychic shows, ancient aliens, monsterquest, ad friggin nauseum, geebus. There it is. Here's a show that has taught a huge number of folks how science works, that it's best to think critically, that knowing how things really work is fun, and it's going away while the rest of what passes for entertainment continues its slide into ignorance and stupidity. Dammit.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
3/9/16 2:39 p.m.
Jay_W wrote: I DVR'd the season and watched the finale with damn near a lump in my throat and couldn't really figure out why. Done, i went to live TV, on Science channel, and they are airing unexplained files. Scrolling on through a couple psychic shows, ancient aliens, monsterquest, ad friggin nauseum, geebus. There it is. Here's a show that has taught a huge number of folks how science works, that it's best to think critically, that knowing how things really work is fun, and it's going away while the rest of what passes for entertainment continues its slide into ignorance and stupidity. Dammit.

SWMBO walked into the room just as the “last build” of the last episode was airing.

Damn it…I knew if she detected the slightest lump in my throat or any other indication that the experience really mattered to me, she’d insist on talking about some pointless crap for as long as necessary to ruin the moment.

I mustered up an Oscar winning performance of “It’s just an old re-run”, the storm passed, and I was able to give proper closure to an important facet of my life.

Sorry for the dark post.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/9/16 2:48 p.m.

They used a jet fighter to produce directed sonic booms targeting a facsimile of a house.

It was incredible.

THat episode...ALONE...puts Mythbusters in a special rank of television. There are precious few decent shows left on TV. Another one bites the dust...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/9/16 6:13 p.m.

To help take up the slack, Adam Savage has been posting a ton of videos on Youtube. No myths, but a lot of interesting videos on how to build stuff.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
3/31/16 10:38 p.m.

....and they're coming back!

....sort of.

http://uproxx.com/tv/mythbusters-science-channel-new-hosts/

Well, not really and it sounds like it's going to suck. Hard.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WNePI5svCg1cb13hDSrHX77jSgqtlHZJSIgwLUQn55293q3ZTOAz7KmMS9op1JQy