John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/3/23 5:53 p.m.

Fed to me via FB but I found this interesting.  A story and video interview with the CEO of Spirit.  I didn't realize that they are Spencer Gifts. 

1,506 stores this season and 40k+ employees! 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/01/spirit-halloween-lives-on-when-holiday-ends.html?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook%7Cmain&fbclid=IwAR0Z-zwbTXMlmvzBZFRn-gcBA7qNnxBIcxb_TuTQ0lbrK0HVI9G8-SaJZq8 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/3/23 6:40 p.m.

Spirit is wild. They open in abandoned spaces for two months out of the year. Average footprint 10k ft. They make more money than Spencer's does. It's an impressive business model. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/3/23 6:52 p.m.

Hell... there were two of them in a 15min walking distance this year....

I too didn't realize it was Spencer's until I walked past some fog juice and the label said Spencer's....

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/3/23 8:15 p.m.

Now you've got me wondering about Phantom Fireworks...

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
11/3/23 8:57 p.m.

Man that was fast

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/4/23 9:28 a.m.

I've also heard they turn an absurd profit too, like a $100k in merch and each store brings in around $1 mil. That doesn't figure labor costs (makes me wonder how good they pay hourly employees). Still. Someone is making some cash during Spooky Season. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/4/23 9:38 a.m.

I can't believe people will blow that much cash on Halloween.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/4/23 9:56 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

My ridiculous neighbors basically buy the Spirit catalog every year...

My daughter worked there her senior year in HS. Didn't make much money (apparently it all goes to the corporate overlords) but she had a blast.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
11/4/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Nothing compared to the all encompassing August to January deluge of Xmas garbage. At least Halloween is fun and has far less annoying music.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
11/4/23 10:22 a.m.

First time I hear about them. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/4/23 11:26 a.m.
Slippery said:

First time I hear about them. 

Wait what? How is this possible?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/4/23 5:29 p.m.

They are a major rip off. They are selling 2-15+ year old costumes for $50-$150+. Their Monster character merchandise is even worse in pricing. 

Party City is slightly reasonable but not by much

Amazon, Target or Walmart is way better in pricing even though the last two is limited in choices. Amazon has far reasonable pricing for Halloween merchandise.

Yes, there are some hardcore Halloween fans that goes full tilt on spending vs Christmas. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/5/23 11:15 p.m.

We have one near us that is open 365 days a year. Spencer's headquarters is also near here, so that makes sense. I also read an article that Spirit basically saves and revives dying stripmalls.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xVDVC5CYAMlPkqyhVNrBpKnX6mC54AJEBLBdgXWjFK01TB9Rb5ZU4KUueyAVK1mi