psteav
psteav New Reader
7/25/08 10:43 a.m.

Been looking for a small- to mid-size UJMC type bike for a while. There's a GPz 550 ('83, so it has the monoshock) for sale locally for $900 obo, needing some cosmetic love but in good running shape. Anyone have any experience with these? The overall feeling seems to be very positive, but I'm interested in any potential expensive failures or endemic problems. Oh, and fuel economy.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/25/08 10:58 a.m.

I know nothin' about 'em...but I'm all for UJM!

Get it and I'll come drink beer with you! Or don't get it...and I'll still drink beer.

Clem

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
7/25/08 12:51 p.m.

I think that motor series came from the KZ times of Kawasaki. Pretty stout motors depending on mileage. They are air cooled so they won't last as long as a water cooled motor depending on how well they're cared for.

That bike will need some attention at that age. Check out the for seals and rear shock. Also make sure the calipers move freely. The chain should have adjustment left and the sprockets should have straight teeth without hooking. Hooking means the sprocket teeth are shaped fish hooks instead of saw teeth.

A wealth of motorcycle knowledge is at www.advrider.com

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/25/08 2:38 p.m.

I don't know about the bike in particular, but I can say mine is an 82 Suzi 450, and it's a great bike but an old bike. Parts aren't impossible to come by, but some are discontinued and take some effort to find. So far I've had to change the front fork seals, clean carbs, and do a valve shim adjustment. Took a lot longer than i thought it would but it's running better now. If I was to buy another bike I'd look for a Ninja 250, something newer perhaps.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
7/25/08 5:46 p.m.

The GPz 550 was THE sporty midsize bike in its day. I believe the Keith Code superbike school used to use them as their standard track bike. These days I think they're somewhat collectible. Of course, its performance won't compare to a modern 600 sportbike, but it was a dependable and good looking motorcycle.

joshx99
joshx99 New Reader
7/25/08 8:49 p.m.

The GPz 550 is an awesome bike. Definitely a cool bike.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
7/26/08 7:26 a.m.

I had one of these when I was in college. When they were new, they were the scary-fast middle weight bike of their day. The quality of the controls and switches was a noticeable step down from contemporary Honda products, though.

If it is running rich or rough, check the air filters; there are TWO. A lot of owners never see the lower one and it gets really choked down and the bike runs like crap.

The rear brake disc was warped on mine and replacements were really expensive.

I sold the bike because I had very little self control whilst riding it. Fuel economy wasn't a big concern of mine at the time.

stroker
stroker New Reader
7/26/08 9:01 a.m.

I don't think you can go wrong at that price. I'd LOVE to find a cosmetically challenged GpZ 550 for that price.

Back when I was racing the GpZ was just a tad slower at BIR than my 750 Yamaha triple. That should give you an idea how good they were at the time.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/26/08 8:33 p.m.

My buddy just gave away a 84 GPZ 550 without a front end to another buddy. We all took our slow bikes into the mountians for a ride, and the GPZ made it with a old GS front end. Granted, my buddy is quite good, but that bike did a nice job of hustling in the curves.

If you do get it, you can never sell it. Those were a lot of folks first bikes, and when they get to the retirement/overpriced car auctions/trying to reclaim my youth with money phase, you'll be glad you kept it.

psteav
psteav New Reader
7/28/08 8:53 a.m.

Right on. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm gonna go take a look at it sometime this week.

Oh, and Clem...COME GET THIS DAMN MOPED! :)

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/29/08 8:36 a.m.

Nice bike, I had a GPz-1100. My buddy has the 550, it's all the bike you'll ever need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0GfETwbBU36VAyzYLXpyMukxYwnIxXGI6PRPfVTfrukpFzuZfwkJ5krBKvWcuFR0