1 2 3
scardeal
scardeal Dork
2/11/13 12:37 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: So I'm guessing the pope really did quit and this isn't part of a joke thread? I haven't seen this on the news. What are grounds to quit your job as the Pope? I'm wondering what this says for the catholic church?

Yes, it's all over the news, both secular and Catholic. My facebook feed has a dozen or more articles and blog posts about it. One theology professor's blog suggests that he's been considering the decision for some time now. I have contacts in the Catholic media/theologians/etc., so I might be able to get some feedback on a few questions, if anyone's interested.

Honestly, I'm not sure what they are in general. I want to look into that, myself. The reason he cited was that he was not physically able to keep up with the demands. His mind is brilliant, so I don't think that's the issue. In some senses, the daily stress of being the Pope is very similar to the daily stresses experienced by the President of the US. The POTUS has to worry about several hundred million people. The Pope has to worry about several billion people. NPR gave this translation of his resignation letter: NPR's Translation

I'm not sure what it'll mean for the future. There's no chance that the Church is going to change its stance on any of the hot-button issues, eg abortion, birth control, women priesthood, etc. My guess is that we'll be looking at developing more of the things I've been seeing recently. In the past number of years, they've made lots of effort to improve its responses to deviant behavior of clergy. They've also made efforts to create formal ecumenical documents with other Christian faiths to declare what they have in common. Finally, they've made attempts to better evangelize and catechize both the lay faithful, and the public in general; that is, to better utilize media in the modern world.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/11/13 12:42 p.m.

What no Johnny Paycheck references?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/11/13 1:39 p.m.

He said he wants to marry a Jewish chick.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 2:50 p.m.

Pope was all like "Pedicabo vos, te pedicabo, te pedicabo, sis terribilis te pedicabo, te pedicabo, ego sum de hic."

scardeal
scardeal Dork
2/11/13 2:54 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: They want to vote in a black guy.

On the last go-around, the Nigerian-born Francis Cardinal Arinze was one of the rumored possibilities before Benedict XVI was chosen. I would imagine that he's still considered a possibility.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/11/13 3:04 p.m.
scardeal wrote:
On the last go-around, the Nigerian-born Francis Cardinal Arinze was one of the rumored possibilities before Benedict XVI was chosen. I would imagine that he's still considered a possibility.

They picked a former Hitler Youth over him. If that wasn't enough of a kick in the head to realize he wasn't in line to wear the big funny hat I don't know what is.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/11/13 3:32 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: Pope gives two weeks notice, tells Boss 'I've had enough' and becomes first to quit in 600 years.

He has given me inspiration to do the same for my job! also because I got a much better job :)

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/11/13 3:52 p.m.
scardeal wrote:

How conservative is he? As I understand it, this is pretty much the same body of Cardinals that elected a a traditionalist like Benedict last time around. Wouldn't they have a similar aim this time?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
2/11/13 3:59 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: They picked a former Hitler Youth over him. If that wasn't enough of a kick in the head to realize he wasn't in line to wear the big funny hat I don't know what is.

In that case, all it meant was he was born in the wrong place at the wrong time - membership was automatic. About the only ways for him NOT to have been listed on the Hitler Youth membership roles in World War II would have been to commit suicide or be Jewish.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/11/13 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: I still don't get why being part of the Hitler youth in Germany during ww2 would make him a nazi.......the Hitler youth was essentially the boy scouts. Both were a training program for military service later.

If he doesn't think he can physically do the job, he is correct for stepping down. Less harm can come from this than him being constantly sick/hospitalized for the duration of his term. I personally think they'll go with someone in their late 50's - early 60's

2/11/13 4:26 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: They picked a former Hitler Youth over him. If that wasn't enough of a kick in the head to realize he wasn't in line to wear the big funny hat I don't know what is.
In that case, all it meant was he was born in the wrong place at the wrong time - membership was automatic. About the only ways for him NOT to have been listed on the Hitler Youth membership roles in World War II would have been to commit suicide or be Jewish.

There were pockets of resistance right there in his home town. A few hundred yards away from the Ratzingers' house, Hans Braxenthaler (the resistance) shot himself rather than be captured again. The SS searched local homes for members of the resistance, so the Ratzingers knew those efforts existed. It wasn't that he and his family were active in the NAZI party (they weren't) it's just that he wasn't one of the good guys either - you know - the kind of person who sets an example for others, goes on to great things... yada, yada... and he got picked over the black guy with the great resume. It just illustrates the smoke-makers in the tower are not too concerned about PR.

Aside from that - he looks like a crazy old coot and NAZI jokes about the pope are funny.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/11/13 4:29 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:

Good point. It would be like condemning Russian President Putin because he'd been a Young Pioneer during Soviet times. Putin may not be the cleanest guy on the block, but it wasn't because of what club he was in in high school. I admit, I'm not a fan of Benedict's policies at all..but IMO the HY thing is irrelevant.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/11/13 4:54 p.m.

Tough act to follow: He's been Pope of the Year for the past seven years straight.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/11/13 4:58 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Aside from that - he looks like a crazy old coot and NAZI jokes about the pope are funny.
bluej
bluej Dork
2/11/13 7:18 p.m.
ransom wrote: ... There is some sort of chicken and egg question here with regard to popes and enlightenment, though.

Ohhhhh.. So THAT'S why the hat is shaped like that!

peter
peter HalfDork
2/11/13 8:30 p.m.

‎"I hope the Pope retires to the Netherlands so we can read about ex-Benedict's Holland days."

Not mine, but boy do I wish it were...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/11/13 9:06 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Take me down to Vatican City where the grass is green and the Popes are quitty....

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
2/11/13 9:09 p.m.

My gut says he is stepping down because he has a serious health issue.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/11/13 9:20 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: My gut says he is stepping down because he has a serious health issue.

Earlier I read something about parkinsons? Can't find it now.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/11/13 9:42 p.m.

Wonder what kind of retirement package a pope getd.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/11/13 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Sounds like free room and board with a bunch of nuns....if that isn't hell, idk what is

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
2/12/13 5:31 a.m.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
2/12/13 8:30 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: My gut says he is stepping down because he has a serious health issue.

Apparently, he's lately been having difficulty just walking around, holding things, etc. That's why he'd resorted to the popemobile a while ago.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
2/12/13 2:08 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
rainydave wrote: “After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,” the pope told cardinals gathered for an ordinary public consistory to approve the canonization of new saints.
Really not buying this. No offense intended to anyone, but the last few years of his ministry, Pope John Paul looked about 98% dead, but he still kept on trucking. (Used to remind me of "He's only mostly dead" or Weekend at Burneys) Something else is at work here, just not sure what yet.

It's quite likely there were some other popes who probably should have quit in the past six hundred years, and didn't. Just because it doesn't happen too often doesn't mean it's not a good idea, particularly if his health is as bad as some other posts say. Obligatory bad pun: Poping ain't easy, but someone's got to do it.

2/12/13 2:13 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Gotta keep the Pope hand strong

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tuhsChkWeBZCogyEPRYM7FtIpiaRpFxFEaZMPq7VCUNSagwqE8ykr4cuCSKRe8l1