1 2 3
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/4/15 7:44 p.m.

I was permanently cured of calling people "dude" in high school. My best friend's mom (whom we always called "June", as in Cleaver) got annoyed with us over-using it and started pointedly saying things like "Are you two dudes planning to be here for dinner?" and "What time are you dudes planning to be back?" It made us realize how stupid it sounded, and we pretty much dropped it. Although I still think it's stupid, I don't get bent out of shape when someone calls me dude.

I do hate being called "sweetie" by the waitresses at IHOP, though.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
11/4/15 7:52 p.m.

I just ignore people that I don't know who call me "dude". My experience is that people who don't know me and call me that are looking to mooch something from me. So I just don't respond. When my friends call me "dude" I just give them E36 M3 back...

logdog
logdog SuperDork
11/4/15 8:10 p.m.

I was in love in Melody

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
11/4/15 8:16 p.m.

I don't get dude very often and when I do it's from a fairly young person. Since it seems few people bother to teach their kids how to be grown ups I just chalk it up to ignorance and move on. If the only thing you have to complain about is how you are addressed your life is probably not as bad as you want to think it is.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/4/15 8:35 p.m.

There might be a few people in this world, that should spend a little less time being offended by little things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UltraDork
11/4/15 9:12 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

Damn! beat me to it!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy HalfDork
11/4/15 10:14 p.m.

Once again, I am totally oblivious as to how badly I am offending people.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
11/4/15 10:25 p.m.

I had a woman from New York (which she made sure I knew) get upset at me calling her ma'am, so anything is possible

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
11/4/15 10:29 p.m.

My dad got stabbed in the leg for calling someone "hoss" once. True story.

Dude doesn't hold any negative connotations to me. I use it often. I also could give a berkeley if it offends.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
11/4/15 11:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: In my town, using the word dude will result in either getting your butt kicked for negative connotations, get you labelled as a hippie communist freak, or both. So round here, its sir, ma'am, or "hey man".

I would love to go to your little town and stir E36 M3. Dude, get over it

You go out on tuesday looking for a job like that?

What- what day is it today?

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
11/5/15 2:48 a.m.

What's a hippie communist freak, in 2015?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/5/15 4:57 a.m.

There's dude, and there's "dude".

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/5/15 7:40 a.m.

I use it as a exclamation, I think I don't respect anyone little enough to actually call them "dude" or "hoss" or "boss" or "guy" or "bro" or "brah" or "man" or "Gaylord" or whatever. I call people by their name or if I don't know that I just say "hey shiny happy person".

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/5/15 7:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/5/15 8:10 a.m.
yupididit wrote: What's a hippie communist freak, in 2015?

I'd guess a card-carrying Greenpeace member who eats bats head-first for lunch every day and and supports actual, soviet-style communism

I was also looking to see where Dusterbd13 lives so I can avoid the place or at least be aware

Obligatory Embed:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9GgWrV8TcUc

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/5/15 8:14 a.m.
Rufledt wrote:
02Pilot wrote:
Rufledt wrote: "Dude indexes a stance of cool solidarity, a stance which is especially valuable for young men as they navigate cultural Discourses of young masculinity, which simultaneously demand masculine solidarity, strict heterosexuality, and nonconformity."
Am I the only one who sees a bit of a contradiction in "cool solidarity" and "nonconformity" both being part of the "cultural Discourses of young masculinity"? Reminds me of an exchange from an old MASH episode: Hawkeye: "What's normal, Frank? Frank: "Normal is everybody doing the same thing." Trapper: "What about individuality?" Frank: "Individuality's fine, as long as we all do it together."
very true, but doing something that you think is nonconformist, and actually not conforming, are 2 different things. Think about hipsters, they are trying to not conform, but they are just creating a whole new conformity. Hippies did the same thing. And goths. There was a south park on that last one.

Dude, you forgot to include the typical Harley riders in your conforming non-confirmists groups.

I think I'm going to start being offended anytime anyone is offended. What is being offended at others being offended called? Offended squared? Reverse offended? Inverse Offended? Reflectoffended? Offendarounded?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/5/15 8:15 a.m.

I think I like offendorang. It's where your offendedness comes right back at you.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/5/15 9:09 a.m.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/5/15 9:33 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I use it as a exclamation, I think I don't respect anyone little enough to actually call them "dude" or "hoss" or "boss" or "guy" or "bro" or "brah" or "man" or "Gaylord" or whatever. I call people by their name or if I don't know that I just say "hey shiny happy person".

But what happens if you're excited for someone? Do you say:

Hey Bob, how we doin' Bob? All right. It's been a while Bob, life's so rad! This band's my favorite Bob, don't ya love 'em? Yeah. Aw Bob, you want a beer? All right. Aw Bob, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff. This is great, Bob. Yeah. Hey, did you know about the party after the show? Yeah. Aw Bob, it's gonna be the best, I'm so stoked! Take it easy Bob'.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/5/15 9:47 a.m.

Dudes. Much adude about nothing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/5/15 10:13 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: There might be a few people in this world, that should spend a little less time being offended by little things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at it the other say: if it's a little thing that really doesn't matter, then it should be easy enough to avoid calling people 'dude'.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
11/5/15 10:23 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: In my town, using the word dude will result in either getting your butt kicked for negative connotations, get you labelled as a hippie communist freak, or both. So round here, its sir, ma'am, or "hey man".

Sounds like another reason to stay North of the Mason Dixon line to me dude.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
11/5/15 10:25 a.m.

Being former enlisted military and forced to call the largest collective group of e36 m3 heads I've ever known "sir" burned me off that pretty quickly. The standard comeback was usually something like "don't call me sir, I work for a living."

But I pretty much let that one go these days. I will still get all up and over random people who decide on their own to call me "Steve" instead of "Steven" when I have never introduced myself that way.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/5/15 10:26 a.m.

"Dude" or even worse "Bro" are pretty much the "Off Button" to my input circuits. I figure there is nothing intelligent coming down the pipe after, so no need to listen any further.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
11/5/15 10:31 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: "Dude" or even worse "Bro" are pretty much the "Off Button" to my input circuits. I figure there is nothing intelligent coming down the pipe after, so no need to listen any further.

this.......

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
niMVmVr7XFImmS6cmUa8ozfBhrZhvJhlWYjHT29S8ggCqZLxtYRAUxMn2ms7pAKP