1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/14/24 12:23 p.m.

Ours used to be the Grand Junction Rockies, feeder team to the Colorado Rockies. That wasn't confusing at all. But a couple of years ago they changed to the Jackalopes. Official nickname has been announced as the "The Jacks", which is by far the least cool way to get a nickname.

Looking at the team history, they used to be the Casper Ghosts which is far, far better.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/14/24 1:53 p.m.

My hometown high school sports teams are called the Hingham Harbormen, because... uhh... we have a harbor. Yeah, that's it!

That's the official logo. Mascot is a dude in a raincoat. Real creative, guys. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/14/24 2:20 p.m.
Karacticus said:

It was two weeks ago while visiting that I learned about this. I laughed way too much and my Uber driver didn't think it was funny at all

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
8/14/24 3:20 p.m.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
8/14/24 3:36 p.m.

The Akron Rubber Ducks have an alternative personality as Perros Calientes.

I'm not sure why.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
8/14/24 4:58 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Puddy46 said:

And for the more mellow fellows, there's always the Colorado Vibes:

Minor League baseball is so much fun.

Is that... a s'more?

It is! 

Here's one of their alternative logos to acknowledge they're in Colorado Springs:

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
8/14/24 5:58 p.m.

Bought my wife an El Paso Chihuahua t-shirt.  Whenever she wears it to the Diamondback's game in Phoenix she always gets comment on it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
8/14/24 7:53 p.m.
bbbbRASS said:

Low-A MiLB team in Eastern Ohio, "Mahoning Valley Scrappers" affectionately known as the Crappers. 

I posit the Pittsburgh Pirates are most accurately named, as they pillage wealth and joy from the locals they encounter. 

Nuck Bob Futting.  That's all I will say on this subject lest I go on a diatribe involving garbage cans and lack of beer pitcher's on weekends.

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy Reader
8/14/24 8:05 p.m.

My wife is from California and lived in Hollister for a little while when growing up. I've always associated Hollister with the clothing brand for fashionable people who didn't shop at Abercrombie. Little did I know that it's kinda a rural agricultural community, so naturally their high school mascot is The Hollister Haybalers

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/14/24 10:07 p.m.

Kansas City Royals are named after a local cattle show, the American Royal. An artist from out of town reimagined it as like a monarchy "royal" with the crown design, confusing people ever since.

The Kansas City Chiefs are named after a distinctive red Pontiac Starchief owned by the founder Lamar Hunt, also a Pontiac dealership owner. Once again, marketing led to confusion.

One of these is a lie.

The football team was christened after the nickname of the then-mayor Bartle, who got that nickname by founding a Boy Scouts group modeled on certain native american practices.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/15/24 9:58 a.m.

Archer City Wildcats, the team name for the town's school.  The name referred to a common site in the area in the 1920's:  Wildcat oil wells.  

On the less appropriate side, Hamlin, Texas has the Pied Pipers.  Which, if you remember the story, is an odd thing to associate with children.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/15/24 10:01 a.m.
TheRyGuy said:

My wife is from California and lived in Hollister for a little while when growing up. I've always associated Hollister with the clothing brand for fashionable people who didn't shop at Abercrombie. Little did I know that it's kinda a rural agricultural community, so naturally their high school mascot is The Hollister Haybalers

TIL Hollister is a real place. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/15/24 10:09 a.m.
Mndsm said:
TIL Hollister is a real place.

Also the birthplace of modern outlaw biker culture. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/15/24 12:26 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Wait, like...the hells angels? 

WTF. And I've read Sonny Bargers book. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/15/24 2:52 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Wait, like...the hells angels? 

WTF. And I've read Sonny Bargers book. 

Yeah it was kind of the site of the first large scale showdown of multiple clubs and where the "1%er" term comes from. The Boozefighters, the Pissed off Bastards of Bloomington and the Galloping Gooses among others were all duking it out. I think they were fighting over the ad agency who came up with their names.

Hollister Riots

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GeOHMGjV2vcmsGlZmHix4uIx9ym15sYB41GeohhRs1woEleddHb7n3sHLl5vfVql