1 2
Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
2/5/13 2:00 p.m.

And not available in the US yet, because there's no money in it.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1eyxNI/:1_WN7Nj65:blDNcs9Y/techcitement.com/culture/the-best-birth-control-in-the-world-is-for-men/

The procedure called RISUG in India (reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance) takes about 15 minutes with a doctor, is effective after about three days, and lasts for 10 or more years. A doctor applies some local anesthetic, makes a small pinhole in the base of the scrotum, reaches in with a pair of very thin forceps, and pulls out the small white vas deferens tube. Then, the doctor injects the polymer gel (called Vasalgel here in the US), pushes the vas deferens back inside, repeats the process for the other vas deferens, puts a Band-Aid over the small hole, and the man is on his way. If this all sounds incredibly simple and inexpensive, that’s because it is. The chemicals themselves cost less than the syringe used to administer them. But the science of what happens next is the really fascinating part.

And this is just a good idea that someone came up with. They've been testing this in India for 15 years, and have yet to have it fail or cause serious complications. Yeah, I'm super interested in this and thought you guys might be too.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/5/13 2:05 p.m.

OOOOOooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

rainydave
rainydave Reader
2/5/13 2:05 p.m.

Sounds like a vasectomy without actually snipping the tubes.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
2/5/13 2:09 p.m.

brb going to India. I do love curry.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/5/13 2:13 p.m.

I knew about that- but alas I had to go the old fashioned route.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
2/5/13 2:15 p.m.

Pinhole and scrotum should not ever be in the same sentence

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/5/13 2:16 p.m.

As a single man, this idea is appealing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
2/5/13 2:16 p.m.

I've had sci-fi ideas about magnetically-actuated implantable valves for certain tubes...want 'em open for one of the few times in your life, strap on some magnets...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
2/5/13 2:18 p.m.

If I'm going to have someone cut mah bawl sack, it's going to be a permanent fix.

Still a pretty cool option for those that don't want a forever fix.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/5/13 2:18 p.m.

As a single man, this idea is appealing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
2/5/13 2:41 p.m.

So they like shoot super glue up yer sperm duct? Lasts for ten years? I wonder how you'd figure out that the ten years was up and it wasn't working anymore?

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
2/5/13 2:42 p.m.

Personally I'm really excited about this. I like that it's cost effective, proactive, and easily reversible. While I'm not planning on having kids later in life, I also don't like the idea of permanent body modifications like a vasectomy.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
2/5/13 2:57 p.m.

Don't get too excited. It stretches the skin on the scrotum tight and makes the procedure more painful.

rotard
rotard Dork
2/5/13 3:01 p.m.

This interests me. I'm pretty sure that I don't want children, but I'm 100% sure that I don't want them now.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/5/13 3:51 p.m.

Cue SVreX in 3...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
2/5/13 4:21 p.m.

So you can berkeley anything that walks, and you'll be dead of aids before the glue fails and you knock up this months girlfriend...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/5/13 4:32 p.m.

Not sure I'll trust birth control that has only been tested in India.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/5/13 6:19 p.m.

better than birthcontrol that has been tested in china

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
2/5/13 6:29 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: So you can berkeley anything that walks, and you'll be dead of aids before the glue fails and you knock up this months girlfriend...

like fueled by caffeine said, in before the lock.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/5/13 6:40 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: So you can berkeley anything that walks, and you'll be dead of aids before the glue fails and you knock up this months girlfriend...
like fueled by caffeine said, in before the lock.

Beat at my own game. Aww hell

Will
Will Dork
2/5/13 7:14 p.m.

The best birth control I've ever used is spending time with friends who have young kids.

Boneritis right there.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/5/13 7:25 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote: brb going to India. I do love curry.

India does have some hawt lookin' women

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
2/5/13 8:18 p.m.
Will wrote: The best birth control I've ever used is spending time with friends who have young kids. Boneritis right there.

Odd, my best birth control is talking with my wife.

Exact same effect.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
2/5/13 10:10 p.m.

I read about this in Wired Magazine some time back. I'm ready for it.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/04/ff_vasectomy/

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/6/13 9:25 a.m.
pilotbraden wrote: As a single man, this idea is appealing.

As a car guy with hobbies and ambition this idea is appealing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7evhA6GSqXPiehiFqoagAIfF7Cap930Ce9GTKJMktKCecAmRuMN8qjaytRofNmWf